Bright Green Spot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 15th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #1
New Boot

Bright Green Spot

Hello everyone,
My excitement of a brand new HD1 didn’t last for a long time.
The first thing I noticed is a bright green spot right at the center of the image.
The size is small, but very noticeable.
I hoped that this is just LCD dead pixels, but unfortunately it wasn’t.
Did anybody experience similar problems and what is the best way to handle it?
I bought my camera at B&H. This is very reputable company, but how well and how fast they handle exchange. Should I contact JVC?

I would appreciate your response.
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

I don't know what you should do about it, but it's not an uncommon thing, I know of at least one other guy who has the exact same thing: a bright green pixel that's in the lower left corner that gets recorded through all the video.

If your camera's brand new, definitely contact B&H, and if you don't get satisfaction from them, try JVC.
Old May 15th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Someone else had this problem, or something similar.

Here's the link to the earlier discussion about a green ring.

As I always tell everyone, post up about it here so we can watch out for similar problems. Then, call JVC and get tech support. If they tell you what the problem is and how they'll fix it, let us know, too! It always helps us out!

But call JVC's tech support!

heath
Old May 15th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for your response guys. I’ll call B&H and JVC on Monday and let you know what happens.
Old May 15th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have a Canon Xl1 which had a similiar problem. About a year ago it started to show a little white dot accross the video. I sent the camera to Canon, they said it was a burned pixel and it would cost about $1000 to replace the CCD chip.
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Warranties! I always get a five year warranty!

heath
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #7
Major Player

From my own personal experience it could be one of two things:

a: A 'burnt' pixel on the CCD. This is easily recognizable as the fault remains stationary. Solution: return to JVC service for CCD replacement.

b. The complimentary opposite effect when a bright direct or reflective source of light is captured. At times this looks almost like a prismatic breakup of white light into it's individual components...
Solution: The HD10 manual mentions the avoidance of shooting directly into the sun, and it's worth avoiding directly shooting any bright light source without filtering.....
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #8
New Boot

Well, B&H accepted exchange. Shipping is my responsibilities, but they will take care of the rest. At least I will get a new camcorder and hopefully - working one.
The only one confusing requirement is less than 2 hours of use. I'm not sure that I didn't exceed that time.
Did a lot of testing to be sure that it's the only problem with HD1.
They said that there is a way to find out exactly for how long time it was used.
I know about hidden menus. I have one on my plasma TV.
It opens door for a lot of fine adjustments, settings and statistical info. Pretty sure there is one for GR-HD1. It would be great to know.

Anyway, thanks again for your participation.
Alex
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Glad it worked out. Can you pay more and get an HD10 instead? That is, if you want one... ;-)

heath
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #10
New Boot

I thought about it. Spent a lot of time reading reviews, posts, comparing clips and etc.
The truth is that I don’t need any of the features except corrected edge enhancement.
Some of my experiments (while I had a broken camcorder for a day), were to prove to myself that it can be done during editing process and also reducing sharpness of TV.
I thought I proved it, but now when you raised this question, I’m confused again.
Old May 17th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

Don't be confused, if you want less edge enhancement and some better features, go with the HD10. If you want to save money and feel fine with the HD1, stick with it! :-)

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U