Who's making money with their HD10? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 19th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that the Bravo DVD Player did play Windows Media 9 in HD.
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

You're probably right, but still, that's a very small percent of the market, and most people who have bought new DVD players likely WON'T buy an HD/WM9 DVD player for a while, unless they have an HDTV.

heath
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

There's all kinds of business tips -- like how not to get in trouble, how to do things right, not get scammed, etc. -- in our Taking Care of Business forum.

heath
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

Also, to help find gigs worldwide, check out our Helping Hands forum!

heath
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thats pretty true. I was guessing that some videophile Grooms might really like to get an HD DVD Player as part of the package, and at the same time downconvert the entire video to also produce SD DVD's for family and other participants in the wedding.

Just my two cents.
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #21
Trustee

Bravo D3 DVD should be able to play Windows Media when it is released.

However right now it is in "preliminary design stage", according to the manufacturer's email I received today.

Just FYI.

(And yes, I'm waiting for it just like you are! :)
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #22
Trustee

Wow! Some awesome ideas!!

To take it one step further, I was thinking about doing this...

"Everyone dreams of the perfect Hollywood romance. Now, you can live it and have the movie to premiere for all your family and friends." (something like that)

What I'd like to do is spend a day prior to the wedding with the couple shooting a short "movie". I'll shoot them on the beach, at home...something whimsy and romantic. (interwoven with photos from their relationship, no audio from them, just mood music that uses their favorite tunes)

That'll be on the DVD as "A Love Story" or something like that...and also "Interviews" with family/friends and the actual wedding. I'll do the wedding as a "Documentry"...no fancy stuff like on the "A Love Story".

How does that sound? Something unique on a DVD.

murph
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

That's cool, Murph. I should suggest that to my friend who does weddings.

heath
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #24
Regular Crew

That sounds like a really cool idea Chris. I bet it would be easy to sell if you presented at one of those wedding shows on a real nice looking HDTV. I'm pretty sure you can rent some of the higher end ones.

You could also pitch the customers with 'preserving their precious memories in the TV Format of the future' as a selling point for HD.
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Murph,
That's a great idea. you should really follow through on that. Anything to keep busy right? I hear you on the whole "in debt" thing but it's something we have to do in order to make our ideas into reality, right?

I have only made a little bit of money selling copies of my HDV short to friends and family. SD DVD, I still haven't tried the whole WM9 HDDVD.
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #26
MPS Digital Studios

You can always go market the HDV to a company to make corporate videos. But drop the V and make it HD! ;-)

heath
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #27
Regular Crew

In actuality it is HD! The medium that we're using to record it is HDV, but the net product (those actualy mpg tranport streams) are pretty much what the cable and satellite companies are delivering now and calling HD.
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

Good point.

hwm
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #29
Trustee

100% HD if you look at the specs. It's the bottom of the barrel HD, but hey...who cares? The fact is that no one cares except the people on this board because we're "in the know" regarding the minute details of "TS" vs. "PS". When you get down to it...we definately can deliver a product that "matches or comes very close"to high definition productions that cost 10 times as much. We've all read and heard it multiple times from people - our camera makes a comparable image. It also has the resolution of what is "standards based" HD. Therefore, just like the previous poster said...we shoot HD!

Hey, Heath...go ahead and tell your friend my idea. There ain't no competition on here, and I really like that a lot.

FYI - I've just applied for another network affiliate job in my area. (ABC affiliate) I'm broke, so I need a job that pays weekly again....spent all my cash on HD(V)! Wish me luck, it's for shooting and editing one of the most popular shows in New England.

Murph
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #30
Regular Crew

We have paying customers for a docudrama we're editing now & a cooking show coming up.

The last day of our doc shoot, we were on the Franklin St Bridge
near the MLK center, getting the shot of downtown Atlanta skyscrapers (Guess every video shooter in ATL goes there) . A producer and cameraman/DP roll up
with a rented Sony Cine_Alta for a documentary they're shooting on a former president of Notre Dame Univ. So we compared notes on lighting and cameras.

They had a nice lens, bridge plate, matte box, filters. I'd love to have the huge budget (& profit!) to rent the Cine Alta or Varicam.

But nice to know I can do Hi Def TV on a small budget.

Ed Hill
ed@highlydef.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U