Question regarding wireless mics for HD10u, and external monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 20th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Trustee

Question regarding wireless mics for HD10u, and external monitors

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a wireless lav mic - one that can be used for interviews and more often mic-ing up a groom at a wedding.

Since everyone has talked about the HD10u's audio problems - does anyone have a specific mic they prefer? My budget is $300-400 new, or $200-300 used.

Also, anyone have any ideas on external monitors for a G5 with Cinema display? I know a standard television isn't as good as a real monitor, so I'm only interested in spending cash on a real television monitor.

Thanks!

Murph
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Since the HD10s ACG can't be truned off (We're waiting for someone to find a hack), there's really not much you can do. So, if you spend 300 on a lav, just make sure you get the clearest sound possible (guard from wind), because you'll probably want post-process some of the sound. And even for a very nice wedding production, I'd bet none of your customers would notice the AGC.

If you want to buy an NTSC monitor, Sony, JVC, and Panasonic are a few common, good brands. I'm assuming you want SD for monitoring - the JVC HD monitor is over 5 G's and I'm not sure that it is REALLY capable of displaying all 1920x1080 pixels. But the SD ones will still provide the color accuracy that a broadcast monitor is good for.

-Will
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Will,

I'll check out the Sony, JVC, and Panasonic lines of monitors. You're right, a wedding party won't really hear every little thing that I will.

Murph
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I found a Sony PVM-1340 Engineering Monitor on ebay for $20.00 recently from a 'junk' seller. Prior to that I was using the LCD on the HD10, which in my opinion, is less than adequete.

Amazingly, I took a chance and the monitor arrived in MINT condition. It didn't even have scratches on the case. I use it right now as a field monitor (studio monitor). I also bought a Videotek Waveform Monitor and Vectorscope from the same sellers for 9.99! They were in ok condition - they work, but are 'dim'.

I really like the Sony, the color is very accurate, it is easily calibrated, and the images are very crisp.

I also have an Apple Cinema display. I'm waiting for V Inc. to ship their Bravo D3 so I can try feeding WMVHD back to the Cinema display. Interestingly enough, even though I have a G4, I'm using the Cinema display with a 3ghz Dell 8300!
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mic

Murph,

I am using a Shure Lav and it works fine for me.

We have been using it for a Culinary arts TV program we are taping for Westbridge University and it has made my life (and the Chef's) easier.

I haven't tried it yet with long distances (we are at a kitchen at all times :), but I heard that they should work well. I'll try to test it soon and let you know how it performed.
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:15 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Monitors:

JVC's 17 inch HD monitor.

JVC's 19 inch HD monitor.

heath
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey guys,

For the record, I haven't yet purchased a new monitor for my HD1 setup - I'm still trying to figure out what the best post setup (for the least $) will be. How is everyone dealing with monitoring from the HD1 and HD10? And more importantly, how are PC and MAC editors monitoring for post?

It'd be interesting to know the different hardware configurations for different software packages. i.e.: AspectHD + Premiere Pro, FCP + Lumiere or Heuris, even Vegas + ConnectHD, etc.

Do the vendors have a recommended setup for doing color? (Ahem, David N) : ) Thanks, y'all.

And Heath, is that 17-inch correct colorimetry for broadcast? I know Sony has monitors specifically intended for broadcast display, and others intended to correct color. The latter group are significantly more expensive.
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

I would check out the links I put up, to be honest I haven't looked at them enough to determine that. I'll surf on over after I'm done with some work!

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U