Matte box Vs. 52mm lenses for HD1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matte box Vs. 52mm lenses for HD1

I am looking for a nice way to add filters to my JCV HD1, and ended up with two choices: Using a matte box with its filters (the expensive way), or just screwing in 52mm lens filters (the unexpensive method)

Is there a big difference in quality? What would the benefits/drawbacks of using them be, especially considering that some lenses might not be optimal for HDV.

Cheers
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

And, believe or not, the cheaper way give you better result...there are so many choices for threaded filters..
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Do you have any special preference for a brand of lenses? I am especailly interested on a circle polarizer.

Which would you say are the essential lenses one must have for these kind of cameras?

I read somewhere that an ND could well fix the color problems of JVC's HDV cameras (in exchange for f stops). What sort of ND would you get for this?

Cheers!
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

I don't know about color, but ND filters rule! Get a .6 and a .9 ND filter!

heath
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've been stacking a .3 and .6 together with good results also. ND are a MUST if you are shooting outside in daylight.
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #6
Major Player

And a good polarizer!!

I've been using a .3 ND with a polizer stacked for outdoor shooting....and sometimes 2 polarizers stacked for added control in really bright sunlit situations. Our Ozzie sun can be pretty harsh sometimes!!!
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you have a matte box (century 4x4) which you use for 4x4 filter but let`s say can you still use 52mm filters when the matte box is attached ???
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, I will be flying tomorrow to houston to pick up my JTL lights, and will try to find the filters you recommended me.

So summing it up, I'll try to get 1 Circular Polarizer, one .3 ND and one .6 ND.

I'm almost ready to start shooting my first HD(V) short! I am really excited about this!

Saludos from Mexico!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U