d-vhs/ hd10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:50 AM   #1
Tourist

d-vhs/ hd10

I'm attempting to capture HD1080i from an s-video out on my graphics card. To my knowledge I cant do this with my JVC HD 10 camera but can do this with a D-vhs deck. I wanted to know if anyone has done this before or know if there is a device that will allow my camera to capture from the s-video.(I dont have a D-VHS but will buy one if this works)

Thanks
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Jack,

You should have no problem capturing via the S-Video output of the HD10. It downconverts the 1080i to 480i and from there it can be recorded by anything with an S-Video in connection.

I've done this several times for a friend of mine. Quality is excellent by the way for a 480i picture (of course because it comes from an HD source :) ).

You have to make sure that your video card can do capturing. Most can't except for the Radeon AIW series. You probably need a analog capture card to do it the way you're doing it.

Also, you can capture the video digitally via the firewire connection and convert it to a compatible format to be recorded from the PC to an external device.

Troy
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Tourist

I didnt explain that very well. I want to capture my monitor by using the s video out on my video card into the HD camera, using the 1080i setting.
I can do this fine using the dv mode on my camera but it seems that it doesnt work in HD because it needs an mpeg2 stream. I'm not sure if D-VHS is the same, I was told it is not.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Trustee

Svideo will not let you transfer 1080i. It is a SD cable. What you are doing is sending an SD signal out from your GFX card and trying to record on your cam. It doesn't matter what the original rez is (1080 in your case) your GFX card will always send it out SD via Svideo. Capture will work if the cam supports analog in. Some but few cams support analog in (I know the GL-1 did) I don't know if the HD10 supports analog in?
Where did you get the idea that Svideo supported 1080?
Ken
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:10 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

S video is an analog connection, if I'm not mistaken.

The camera can physically change an image on your monitor, via a digital connection, to 480i, 480p, 720p (no conversion) and 1080i (and I think p, but I don't have my book in front of me). You can also do this when upconverting or downconverting to DVHS.

It's been a few months since Jon Fordham and I did this, so I may be off a bit. If I am, someone please correct me. :-)

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U