HD-1's top row chroma loss at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 18th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #1
Major Player

HD-1's top row chroma loss

The top row of our HD-1 camera seems to have lost its color, although since it's only one row it's hard to say. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm viewing the image on a standard def 32" Sony so could it be just be an artifact of the dividing line between the frame and the black bar? Also, there seems to be a little more overall frame showing at the top of the screen on the TV than on the cam's flip-out screen--has anyone noticed a slight cropping difference?
Old June 19th, 2004, 06:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Betsy,

You're right! The screen does not show all of the top. The bottom is a bit closer to reality. (on HD10). Haven't checked the sides closely. All the LCD camera screens I have seen seem to crop a bit.
Old June 19th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #3
Trustee

How does the top line show on your editing monitor?
Ken
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Same problem

I just noticed the same problem when I view footage from my HD1 on my plasma tv. Bizarre!

Any thoughts on what causes this?? Or is it just a quirk of the camera?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:54 PM   #5
Trustee

Not sure if...

...we're talking about the cropping on the LCD or the loss of color in the top row, but...

On an NTSC monitor, i.e. std-def tv, the top row is the VBI, (vertical blanking interval), where closed captioning, screen format and other info can be encoded. A loss of color or image there is normal. You usually won't see it on a tv, because they build in a bit of overscan. With editing software, or when viewing the whole image on a PC, you will notice it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U