Super 16mm or HDV JVC Brazilian feature, any DOP out there?!? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 24th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: les

Daniel,
I can probably beat that price, or meet it. Output on ArriLaser, I have a hunch the other places hitting a low price point are doing either a CRT recorder, or even worse, a kinescope from a hires monitor. I'm not sure. If you want to see what the 30 to 24 looks like , I can do a DV res test for you too see what it looks like on some motion shots. I'm not distracted by the conversion, but there are the 'film aficionados ' that like to point out the problems. See for yourself, I say ! You decide.
-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Daniel Moloko : how much will cost for a 35mm print from HDV?

i will have a short movie in HDV with 12 minutes long.

how much this will cost? -->>>
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #32
Major Player

Re: Re: les

<<<-- Originally posted by Les Dit : Daniel,
I can probably beat that price, or meet it. Output on ArriLaser, I have a hunch the other places hitting a low price point are doing either a CRT recorder, or even worse, a kinescope from a hires monitor. I'm not sure. If you want to see what the 30 to 24 looks like , I can do a DV res test for you too see what it looks like on some motion shots. I'm not distracted by the conversion, but there are the 'film aficionados ' that like to point out the problems. See for yourself, I say ! You decide.
-Les
-->>>

Les,

I'd like to commend you for having the spirit to give this HDV stuff a go, despite what appears to be the obvious reticence of your colleagues in the Film Transfer industry.
When so many people are 'poo-pooing' this very first attempt by JVC at a low cost HD solution ( I had one guy here tell me it just didn't cut the HD spec. - without seeing what the camera could do - just because it was impossible in his opinion at the price), it's refreshing to find people with the gumption to say "well what if this thing does deliver".
It is to people like yourself that the future success or failure of the HDV format resides.
It may also be damn astute business to be able to provide a service to HD10/HDV users, and get the 'jump' on those of your fellows who'd rather not dip their toes in the HDV pool in case it bites back, 'cause if what you hint at is true....namely that HDV footage from the HD10 is definitely visibly superior to DV when transfered to film; there may be some people who had doubts about feature length productions with this cam jumping on board, who'll need your services!!!
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #33
Regular Crew

les,

les,

how is this process? you get the hard disk drive with the video uncompressed or you do it from the tape source?

anyway, would be great to have a test from HDV source, not dv.

maybe you and your company will enjoy mine short movie made in HDV, and maybe, if you like the ideia, i give you the rights to the short to your company if you do the transfer. and you can sign the short as a producer. is it worth for you?

the short can be showed around the brazil territory in festivals.

anyway, the script is a mix of Roman Polanski`s Repulsion + glen or glenda + the good, the bad and the ugly.

maybe it is too insane?

ciao
Old June 26th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #34
Wrangler

Daniel,

I recently met with Kevin Wong a DOP from Canada. He recently completed principal photography on a feature shot with 3 or 4 HD10Us. This is the best footage I've ever seen shot on this camera. He also shot this spec commercial when the camera just came out:
http://www.4lanes.com/reel_523.htm

Kevin also has extensive experience shooting film 16 and 35mm.

I highly recommend him as a DOP should you want to shoot in HD or Film.

With the budget you mention, I would explore shooting with higher end HD cameras such as the Varicam and HDCams.

Here's Kevin's website:
http://www.4lanes.com/
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #35
Trustee

Frederic,

I REEEEEAAALLLY want to see this film. Any timeframe on when it will be released on DVD or even better in the theater?? (I'd love to point people to this when they say the HD10u isn't HD.)

If you could keep us posted that would be great. I'd buy a DVD of this film in a second...and I'm really curious as to how he did the lighting. I'm most interested in that as I'm sure we all are here.

Murph
Old June 26th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #36
Major Player

The filmout process is from a firewire drive. The frames are converted to 2048 Cineons and filmed. When I said DV res for a demo, I was thinking of that for bandwidth reasons. Anyway, for a quick conversion test, I had some high motion HDV of some skate board guys, including some shaky camera and fence detail in the bg. Take a look at the 9 meg 5mbps media 9 file I put here:

http://s95439504.onlinehome.us/skater-at-24.wmv

Tell me your opinion of the artifacts from converting 30fps to 24. In motion, like a real audience would see it. Not paused, movies don't pause. I'm curious what you think. Please don't comment on the crappy hand held camera work, I was just testing the camera out !
-Les
Old June 27th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #37
Regular Crew

les,

everything looks great, even the hand shake. hehe

the motion looks real good to me.

i just want to know if the filmout, he projection in 35mm will look good (i think it will). tell me, the hdv filmout looks like DV? i mean, do you think the audience can tell for sure it was shoot in digital video?

thanks a lot

ciao
Old June 27th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #38
Major Player

If the lighting was not clipped too much, like that cloudy day shot of the skaters, I don't think the audience could tell.
On scenes with high contrast, they might be able to, if they knew what to look for.
Most audiences are looking for story and content, not camera flaws. I've been to movies where a good portion of the screen was out of focus a little because of a projection problem, and nobody seemed to care. I did !
-Les
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #39
Major Player

With that kind of budget I don't know why you're even considering the HD1OU. Rent a Varicam, edit on thee Mac, and save yourself a big headache. I'm a big proponent of the little JVC camera if you don't have any kind of budget, but the hoops you've got to jump through to get it just right should not be underestimated, and you have the money to rent a higher quality HD camera.

Good luck with it.
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #40
Regular Crew

a big problem

theres a big problem...

i live in brazil. They dont have a HD Varicam Camere here.

oh, yes they have, but it cost more to rent a Varicam than to rent a 35mm camera with stocks.

so...

have you seen Gaspar Nóe Irreversible?

he said that in france is almost impossible to find one Varicam, also.

only the USA dont suffer this kind of thing

ciao
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #41
Major Player

Sorry, I didn't realize you were in Brazil, (a country I love by the way). Is it possible to rent any other HD cameras there, maybe in Sao Paulo? I'm actually interested for my own purposes.

Thank you
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #42
Major Player

Daniel,

Did you get a chance to call Panavision?

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
Motion Producoes
Phone: 011-55-11-872-5810
Fax: 011-55-11-864-0833

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
Motion Producoes
Phone: 011-55-21-232-7716
Fax: 011-55-21-507-3183
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #43
MPS Digital Studios

Paul and Rob,

Good work helping our filmmaking friend down South! That's what makes DV Info Net such a great community: helping out!

heath
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:54 PM   #44
Regular Crew

alright...

heath is right, thanks a lot everybody.

i will call motion producoes. but im already expecting a big bugdet to rent this HD CAM.(a photographer whos my friend in Rio said that).

the real problem about doing films in brazil, besides how the hard part that is to get money from goverment its that we have to spend this money only in Brazil. so, if i have 100k, i have to spend everything in brazil.

all the brazilians movies are made with the goverment funds.

but we can arrange a co-production with americans.

but we can pay for Human work - doesnt matter if the person is from america or brazil, but he have to work in here.

its impossible to rent equipament anywhere or edit and film-out outside brazil with my production money.

the only way, as i said, is to have a co-production with a company from outside.

anyway, PAUL Mogg. you said you like brazil. are you a photographer?

ciao
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:00 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Hiya! You could try asking on the CML for a D.P.:

http://www.cinematography.net/index.htm

You might even find one in Brazil there!

love

Freya

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U