Spider footage: (In honor of Wed. 30th) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 26th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Spider footage: (In honor of Wed. 30th)

UPDATE: I had to pull the footage. 5gb of bandwidth doesn't last as long as I'd hoped.

I messed around some more with the HD1 last night: found a visually nice spider web with it's inhabitant.

I've posted it, but if the bandwidth gets munched up, it'll come down. Also, could anyone using Speed-Download or other download utility that opens an assload of streams, please not use it here? They bring my lowly server to a stand-still.

http://www.marklove.com/spider.ts (56 mb)

Shot mostly with SS 1/30, w/ Tiffen Low Contrast Filter. Not much done in post.

Thanks-

Mark
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice!!!

Interesting.... Where I notice the HD1 has the most problem with EE is in high contrast situations. The filter may help that issue.

Mike
Old June 27th, 2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Major Player

How about making an 8 megabit Media 9 out of it, to reduce your download burden ? Just an idea.
Old June 27th, 2004, 03:51 AM   #4
Major Player

Maybe it's just my player...but at the very top of my image I see a thin white or clear line. Was this in the original?
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Nice footage! The really close shots near the end of the footage looks fabu!

Yeah, I was using WinDVD for playback and had the thin white line in the upper part of the footage as well.

Troy
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #6
Regular Crew

OIS on or off?

Hey Mark,
Nice spidey shots..you're making Peter Parker very nervous. When you were zoomed in very close, I thought I detected a little bit of blurring on the spider as the wind moved the web. Was the optical image stabilization (OIS) on or off when you took these shots? My guess is that it might have been on.

scott
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #7
New Boot

RE: OIS

Quote:
Hey Mark,
...Was the optical image stabilization (OIS) on or off when you took these shots? My guess is that it might have been on.
Right you are. I am not 100% familiar with the camera's controls yet. Is the OIS a bad thing?
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Mark,
In general, OIS isn't a bad thing if you're doing handheld work. In my own shots, however, I noticed a bit of image blurring if my camera was on a tripod. I just couldn't figure out what was causing it. (I suppose this is why I mentioned OIS in the first place).

I'm guessing that you used a tripod for those spider shots as the camera didn't seem to move much. If your camera is stable (on a tripod or otherwise not moving), the manual suggests turning off OIS. The funny thing is though, the manual doesn't give us a reason as to WHY you should turn OIS off if you're using a tripod. So I did a search on this board and Darren Kelly had to say this on the following thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22395&highlight=ois):

"On a tripod with it on, you could see the OIS provided some blurr because OIS systems don't know what to do when the camera is stable."

This is not much of a technical explanation as to the cause of the problem, but an observation based on experience with the camera.

Generally, I tend use OIS when I'm using the HD10 handheld only.
scott

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U