DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   how many hours has the HEAD LIFE of a HD10U? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/28260-how-many-hours-has-head-life-hd10u.html)

Daniel Moloko June 30th, 2004 12:02 AM

how many hours has the HEAD LIFE of a HD10U?

i need to know if one of you know how many hours of camera head we can record and play before it fails?

i need to know first because im buying one of those that has already 20 hours of record, and for sure, 20 hours of playback.

anyone?

ciao

Ken Hodson June 30th, 2004 12:22 AM

I've never seen that listed anywhere. I have never actually seen it listed for any cam, although I bet the $50,000+ cams have a guaranteed operation time in the warrenty. Its fair to say though that 20hours is as close to zero time used as you can get for a second hand cam. And what ever the average fail time is (only JVC knows for sure) you can bet its a heck of a lot more than 20 hours so I wouldn't let it play into your buying decision, as long as the seller is telling the truth ;>)
Ken

Heath McKnight June 30th, 2004 11:10 AM

Yeah, don't worry about it. But I WOULD recommend getting the VH1 HDV deck from JVC to do editing with. That will save your heads!

heath

Scott Frase June 30th, 2004 12:18 PM

CU-VH1US-P

Yes, Heath, if you want to empty your pockets of $1900!
:)
scott

Christopher C. Murphy June 30th, 2004 12:34 PM

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy another HD10u??

At $1900 it sure seems steep when you can grab a brand new camera for the same and actually use it too. Anyone else think so?

Murph

Tom Roper June 30th, 2004 12:56 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy another HD10u??

At $1900 it sure seems steep when you can grab new camera for the same and actually use it too. Anyone else think so?
That's what I think too. But why worry about this? If can probably be repaired/fixed even if it was broken for a lot less.

Heath McKnight June 30th, 2004 11:22 PM

A deck is dedicated to rewinding, fast forwarding, etc. I prefer a deck, though I have been without any sort of DV or otherwise deck for a year. I'd like to buy the VH1, but dropping it down by $500 would be nice! ;-)

heath

Christopher C. Murphy July 1st, 2004 07:29 AM

Yeah, but you get an entire HDV camera with pull screen for the same price! Also, they both probably have the exact same warranty!

I've been using a 2nd capture camera for years. The only small problem I've found is that the camera being used for digiziting should be tested with the tapes going into it. In short, I've found that Pd-150 tapes work in Sony cams and not always others. Therefore, if you are going to buy a HD10u or HD1...make sure it's been tested to play your footage. It should be fine, but still I would check. Esspecially since we're talking HDV on the tape and not really Mini-DV per say..

Murph

Heath McKnight July 1st, 2004 12:15 PM

I agree...To a point. I've had better success using a Sony DVCam/mini-dv deck at the places I've worked at. Easier to place in the edit bay, etc.

heath

Christopher C. Murphy July 2nd, 2004 12:08 AM

Wait....HDV tapes play on standard Mini-DV cameras??

If that's true can you give me the model and make? I'm going out to get one ASAP because I'm shooting alot of footage these days.

Has anyone successfully played a HDV tape through an NTSC MiniDV camera?

Murph

Heath McKnight July 2nd, 2004 06:41 AM

Murph,

don't get excited, I was talking about using a VTR with footage shot on DV, DVCPro and DVCam.

heath

David Kennett July 5th, 2004 10:13 AM

Before retiring, I worked in a facility that made tons of dubs on banks of U-matic machines, and later VHS (mostly JVC). I can't remember ever having head failure on the VHS, and only a few on the U-matic. Head failure was low on the list of problems. I would think things have only improved since then.

Ken Hodson July 5th, 2004 11:08 AM

I would tend to disagree. Things were bigger, stronger, metal chassis were used and size wasn't the first concern. I'll take an older vintage VHS (only in terms of reliability ;>) any day over an excessively ergonomic, smaller than nesessary, tiny motor, electonic packed heat building camcorder! - sorry for the rant - but they don't make things like they used too.

In fact the only thing we don't like about this cam is its size. We have a very large pro tripod that sports a large head. The HD10 simply looks hillarious on it. A little better with the matte box but we are still concerned that clients will ignorantly judge us on size. We just have to remmember: It's not the size that counts, but how you use it ;>)

Heath McKnight July 5th, 2004 01:09 PM

Ken,

Yeah, it seems in the old days, when things were made to last forever, there were barely any problems. My grandma still uses her 40 year old (or so) blender, while I've replaced 5 or 6 in the last 12 years!

As for the tripod, always buy bigger and grow into it.

heath

Christopher C. Murphy July 5th, 2004 03:44 PM

My girlfriend gives me crap about spending extra for quaility products. Like I bought my tripod for $900 and she thought I was crazy, but I told her it was a long term investment.

Also, I'm not sure about you guy..but, I learned my lesson on buying cheap junk furniture and appliances. I used to buy cheap particle board shelfs, cheap kitchen appliances etc. But, they literally disingrate in a few years before your eyes! Now, I buy rock solid furniture and quaility appliances. They seem to last for a lot longer...yes, you pay more up front. But, you keep the item almost 2-3 times as long as a cheap thing!

I'm really, really hoping Sony or Pana comes out with an HDV camera like the PD-150 (now PD-170). It's a solid prosumer camera that definately was worth the cost when they came out with it. It's was a great investment...and they'd be treating their customers right if they presented an HDV camera like it.

My 2 cents!

Murph