Suggestion for a Safari? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestion for a Safari?

In a few weeks I'll go to Africa with the HD1, we'll go to South Africa and Zambia for about two weeks. ANy suggestion on equipments/techniques?

Thanks
Gabriele
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Are you shooting for business or pleasure?

At the very least buy (3) ND 0.6 filters. They are only about $11 each and will come in quite handy. Also, a circular polarizer would be good to make the sky look that nice bright blue.

With the included lens hood you can only fit 3 filters on the HD10, any more and you will need a 3rd party matte box. A larger matte box might also allow you to more easily shoot with the sun as a backlight.

I think the combo of the ND's with a polarizer would work out pretty well, especially if you are shooting scenery.

Other than that I would need more specifics about what you are trying to shoot.

Ben

HD Articles and Reviews at HDSource!
http://hdsource.highlydef.com
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ben

I'm going for pleasure. I will go to Saouth Africa hunting with a friend (although I'll do only video and photo hunting) for a few days, we'll go then to Zambia to see the Victoria falls, we'll then go back to a park (Kruger probably) in South Africa where the photografic opportunity should be better (apparently there are few wild animals in the hunting place).

This is the plan more or less, I wish to film everything I can, animals and nature in particulars, tribes if I'll see any. I'm planning to make may be 10 hours of tapes and then cut a 90 minutes DVD (and HDTV tape) once I'm back at home. I already bought a few ND filters and I've the polarizer. I also have a glidecam 2000 and a tripod. I have to stay light since I'm carry also photographic equipments (2 Nikon digital bodies with all the lenses) but fortunately being 6'2" helps me :-)
ANy HD1/10 specific suggestion or safari specific suggestion is welcome.

Thanks
Gabriele
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Gabiele- While you're there, could I talk you into getting some quick footage for me?
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sure I can

Sure I can, write to my private address:

12345@luxtera.com

substitute 12345 with the first five letters of my first name (spell it right this time;-) )

gabriele
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:10 PM   #6
Trustee

Batteries, batteries, tapes, tapes, tapes.
Nuff said ;>)
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I would highly recommend bringing along a wide-angle. I recently purchased a Raynox from B&H for a shoot - perfect for landscapes. Only problem is that is doesn't fit under the included matte box. As Ben mentioned, a larger matte box would be useful. One thing I noticed about the Raynox (which is advertised as "High Definition with Zoom-Through") is smearing of light around subjects when zoomed-in. A good matte-box would alleviate that problem, however.

Also since we've been filming with the HD1, we've been using a soft contrast filter with most of our shots. It helps to defeat the edge enhancement some, and improves shadow detail. Keep in mind, though, that you will have to go back and increase contrast when editing to cancel out the "greying" effect of the filter.
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Wide Angle

I do have a Canon wide-angle from my EX GL1. It is 58mm thread but I've a step up ring. It works, it AFs but I don't know if I've a prejudice, it seems to me that I lose resolution (although the lens was very good on my Canon).
In the past there was people here saying that even HDTV can't be too sensitive to lens quality since the resolution is not that high after all, I tend to disagree with that but who knows?
What is your experience?

Gabriele

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U