good nd filters for hd1/pd1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old September 5th, 2004, 03:36 AM   #1
Major Player

good nd filters for hd1/pd1

I'm looking for good nd fliters for my pd1? Physically it's the same as the hd1.

What brands and models are working well?
Old September 5th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #2
Major Player

For example the Nikon 52Mm Filter Nd4S Neutral Density? Am thinking of ordering it? Is that a suitable choice?

Thanks very much in advance.
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

We've used the Tiffen .3 and .6 52mm ND filters without any problems.

Hope that helps.

Ben

HD Articles and Reviews at HDSource!
http://hdsource.highlydef.com
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:58 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks - the Nikon one is the ND I want and the size (52mm) I want... it's just that I can't find anything about it on Nikon's sites. Is there any chance it would be for still photos rather than camcorders or unsuitable in some definite, clearcut way like that? Or is a correctly sixed, correct ND level filter simply correct?
Old September 6th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Jones Senior : thanks - the Nikon one is the ND I want and the size (52mm) I want... it's just that I can't find anything about it on Nikon's sites. Is there any chance it would be for still photos rather than camcorders or unsuitable in some definite, clearcut way like that? Or is a correctly sixed, correct ND level filter simply correct? -->>>

The choice of ND/Polarizer etc. shouldn't be too much of a problem. Any decent photographic filter will do the job fine. Don't forget they're designed to work with resolutions of 35mm film....so if they can't do the job on a HD camcorder they definitely wouldn't handle shots on an SLR!!! The thread size (52mm) and the thickness (depth) of the filter are the most important issues from my perspective.

Obviously you'd prefer not to use a step-up/step-down adapter, and be able in most situations to use the lens hood.

I was fortunate enough to remember some old Hoya ND's I had that just happened to be 52mm threaded, as well as a Prisma (probably Japanese generic) Polarizer. They work just fine!!
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #6
Major Player

great - thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U