Hd 10u Update??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old September 16th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #1
New Boot

Hd 10u Update???

While I don't want to start any false rumors...I'm very interested in opinions, educated guesses and/or inside information(wishful thinking)
as to the likelyhood of an improved/updated model of the JVC JY-HD 10U being released in the near future?
Thanks, Andy
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

I'd say likely, but who knows? One theory is the HD1 will always be the home video version, the HD10 may evolve into a 3 chip camera or they may just "kill" the HD10 and come out with a sub-$5000 3 chip, manual HDV camera.

These are all theories, of course, so it's not to be taken serious.

heath
Old September 17th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm so wary of JVC right now - even though it was my choice to buy the HD10U camera. I've enjoyed the taste of HD with my HD10u. I thank them for giving me the opportunity.

However, when they come out with a camera that's comparable to Sony's...I'll look, but be very cautious before I'd purchase it. I will forever double check my JVC purchase's...if it seems to good to be true, it probably is!

I've bought dozens and dozens of Sony products in my lifetime, and I've never really had a problem with them before. It's just me, but I guess that I feel overall safer buying a Sony camera. Although, they could blow it too.....you never know!

If they update the HD10U it won't be soon enough!

Murph
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Nothing's perfect; the XL-1/s had problems with the lens. Though I dislike having the auto features on the HD10, I do my best to work around those issues.

When future cameras come out, however, I won't jump so fast into buying it, like I did with the HD10. Lesson learned...

heath
Old September 17th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Im just the opposite , I have stopped buying anything Sony because everytime I do it ends up in the closet or garbage can within a short period of time , but supposedly their prosumer stuff is better than their consumer garbage IE: camcorders, DD recievers , Playstation 2 , walkmans, HD TVs, DVD players etc. etc.

I will probably wait till lots of feedback on their HDV CC and I think I have the HD10u pretty much figured out after 1-1/2 months and I would certainly be interested in used HD10s when everyone starts jumping into the Sonys
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #6
Trustee

Heath,
I feel like the long-timers on this forum on HDV are experts in what HDV should NOT be. You know what I mean? lol

Mark,
First, if you're going to be interested in used HD10U's...this is the place to be!! Lol! I'm going to be selling mine if the HDR-FX1 does what we all hope it does. I'm probably going to buy the "Pro" version because it's a better long term investment. Anyway, I think we can check our "hours" of use on the HD10u's somehow. I'll check mine and post it when (or if) I sell it on here. I believe it's fairly low because I haven't used it to randomly shoot. It was paying gigs or test shooting - no useless hours on the heads.

Having said that - I want to give Sony credit where credit is due.

I'd sell you my camera in a heartbeat, but I must tell you to consider buying this new Sony too. I'm not on these boards to sell stuff, but to share information. Trust me when I tell you that Sony's "prosumer" PD-150/PD-170 are excellent cameras for the money - "best in class" I think they call them? For what you pay you get a solid camera that will perform the way you think it will under the circumstances. If the HDR-FX1 is in the same "class" as the PD's it'll be worth the money. If Sony leaves out anything important in the "Pro" version I'll be really bummed. I can't wait to move up to a better HDV camera - the lack of manual controls and crappy low light performance has gotten a lot of us p.o.'d.

Anyway, I'm totally serious and it's factual (not speculative like we're being about the HDR-FX1) that the Sony PD's are great cameras and have performed for me. The HDR-FX1 technically has better specs on paper, so it's just my opinion but it *looks* like we have a real winner coming up!! I'm excited to check it out....and like Heath and others I've learned my lesson and I want to see it, touch it, shoot something, test it...hear others opinions....and THEN pay Sony for their efforts in providing a useable camera in a "prosumer" setting.

It's interesting, but I can't recall any manufacurer using the term "prosumer". Is that a user word that they don't like?? I'm trying to think of an ad or press release from JVC, Sony, Panny or any of them that uses that term? Maybe it's something we use, and they don't like it? Just wondering because it's the best term possible to describe a videographer or video production house that shoots indies or productions in hopes of moving up the chain. You know? I feel like a "prosumer" because I can barely afford what I buy which is one/two steps above consumer and one/two steps below professional most of the time, but I actually make money from what I do.

Murph
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : Heath,
I feel like the long-timers on this forum on HDV are experts in what HDV should NOT be. You know what I mean? lol-->>>

Even us newbies know what HDV is supposed to be and I seriously doubt any of us are going to see it for several years, until then we are stuck with HBOHD/ShowtimeHD/Fox,ABC,CBS quality instead of HDNet,DiscoveryHD, some broadcast material like Football and Olympics. ( I know you were talking about auto focus and chroma noise and lowlight situations and 3 chip versus 1 chip but....) I am getting pretty good with my JVC thanks to some people on these forums and I really like its look on DVD and hope Sony can come close and does'nt edge enhance us to death or some other gimmicky stuff they are so well known for (maybe they can call it the Carl Zeiss Look)

Its too bad they did do something right ( Vegas Video, oh wait that was Sonic Foundry who had it right before Sony put their bugs in it and took 3 months to fix)

all kidding aside I know Sonys "Pro" series equiptment is held in the highest regards and they attach a price tag on that stuff that matches that reputation, this is what makes me nervous about the new HDV Cam ( are we getting Pro or the built at 3:30pm on Friday afternoon consumer junk they ship to Best Buy by the trainloads?)

<<<--Mark,
First, if you're going to be interested in used HD10U's...this is the place to be!! Lol! -->>>

The way the JVCs get hammered is to my ( and several others Im sure) benefit because we should be able to snag these up for next to nothing since they are such junk, but trusting someone not to have 1000 hours on the thing would be next to impossible so the market on these is going to be VERY interesting and I will be sitting here/elsewhere like a hawk waiting for those prices to plummit. At that time I will gladly snatch several up after checking the manufacturers dating and making sure its May/June/July 2004 or later , anything else is probably used up like a cheap who-a.
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #8
Trustee

Hmm, snatching 2 more of these up and having a 3 camera outdoor "live to tape" rig sounds interesting. That might be an interesting idea to shoot an HD television show outside "live to tape" with a digital switcher. Hmmm..

If 2 HD10u's could be bought for $1500 a piece, used....that would make a nice HD mobile production studio. I haven't read anything people using the HD10u's in a studio enviornment. Anyone doing that?

Murph
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Now your seeing my point of view other than the "live to tape" part which Im not sure if we are making fun of the JVC not being able to handle 24p or not but the work I am doing 3 JVCs would be heaven .

1 on my crane, 1 on my steady cam and 1 on a tripod , I could almost look like a professkunal ( at least after final render that is)

$1500??? are you kidding me? the end product of these things means you have to spend a little time setting up and maybe 30 seconds in post to achieve very filmlike eyecandy, The silly thing cant even manual focus for cripes sake ......you should be able to pick one of these up for like $29.99 if you cut and paste the comments of the people trying to unload them

Maybe I will just wait for Panasonic to outdo both JVC and Sony , heck I bet even Samsung will build some contraption and stick the words HD on somewhere and sell it for $500 by Christmas

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U