New Brandy Rich Music Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old October 5th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Brandy Rich Music Video

http://www.highlydef.com/clips.html

Okay, here's a music video shot with the HD10.

Here's the complete music performance video for the
song "I'll Take My Chances" by Brandy Rich. This complete performance of the song was only seen for 30 seconds in the Video Press Kit. But I think she looks very nice in this video
so i thought I would share with you.

This time the files are smaller so they're easier to download.
Sorry they're only Windows Media. Eventually we'll add some quicktime files.

I hope you guys enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed shooting it.

Ed
ed@highlydef.com
Old October 6th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Brandy Rich Music Video

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Hill : http://www.highlydef.com/clips.html

Okay, here's a music video shot with the HD10.

Here's the complete music performance video for the
song "I'll Take My Chances" by Brandy Rich. This complete performance of the song was only seen for 30 seconds in the Video Press Kit. But I think she looks very nice in this video
so i thought I would share with you.

This time the files are smaller so they're easier to download.
Sorry they're only Windows Media. Eventually we'll add some quicktime files.

I hope you guys enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed shooting it.

Ed -->>>

I checked the earlier 5Mbit WMV9 clip on my Sharp Aquos 32" LCD..... Awesome!!!! As good as anything being broadcast in HD by the FTA networks - maybe even better - but maybe that's just me reacting to all the overblown, constipated, self-congratulatory pundits who pronounce HDV and this particular camcorder 'dead in the water'.

I'm sure if some of these 'Ostrichs' pulled their heads out of their sphincters, and actually watched footage; such as yours', on a true HD display they might just change their overly limited and too often repeated tune......

Keep enjoying what you're doing, 'cause it shows. Besides, Brandy has obvious qualities that while hard too ignore are easy to appreciate!!!
Old October 7th, 2004, 04:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Pundits? We don't neeed any steenking pundits!

Let them talk. I talked to a promotion guy at a rap record label here in Atlanta... he liked the style of the video and wants to see our demo reel. As long as the clients like this look and I can make money, I'll keep shooting with this camera.

Ed
ed@highlydef.com
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #4
Major Player

I agree with you 100%. If you put energy in it, it will show. If it shows, there will be a demand. If there is a demand, there is definitely money to make. Very simple and true, most clients don't give a damn what we shoot on, as long as the results are good.

Keep it up Ed :D
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Old October 10th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #5
Major Player

congrats Ed! , i saw the fisrt clips you posted earlier, and again great stuff.

however i did want to mention one thing IMO (and i hope i dont offend you) the video looks great---except the shot of the Brandy from above showing the grass, that particuler shoot just looks odd (i dont know why) but when played with the rest of the footage it just looks out of place, i mean the rest of the fooatge looks very good (very pro too, something i would expect to see in a music vid on MTV)..

Anyway thats my take on it i would very much like you hear your view on this point, and again i hope i dont offend you, it just my opion that i wanted to share :)
Old October 10th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #6
Trustee

Good work. I like the latitude you seem to have managed to pull from the cam. Any tricks in post you want to share?
The shot with the short depth of focus (blured tree in background) has a lot of green in it which seems to spill into Brandy's hair and face. Whats going on there?
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Not sure why the green effect happens. With the HD10, blacks will often have a greenish tinge under sunlight. Don't know why this happens.

We usually correct for this in post.

As far as lattitude, outdoors we used 3 0.9 ND filters. This forced the lens open to and f stop between 2.4 to 5.6.
The shutter speed was locked at 1/60.

We also used diffusion scrims over Brandy outdoors and reflectors behind her to light up her hair. We also kept her under the shade of trees when we had open sun.

Indoors we used Lowell softlights with diffusion gels over them and a hard reflector, especially in the in-studio shots.

My one regret is that this camera makes it difficult to get uniform exposure levels, so we do a lot of correction in post. We're using Sony VEGAS 4 / CineForm and ProCoder. I wrote to JVC and told them this camera needs all manual controls.

Ed
ed@highlydef.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U