New Get Out the Vote Spots using JVC HD10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old October 27th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Get Out the Vote Spots using JVC HD10

http://www.highlydef.com/BWCA_campaign_demo.html

Hi,

Well the Black Women's Coalition of Atlanta hired us to do 5 :30 second spots. The theme was motivating voters to go to the polls. They are running on three cable networks in Atlanta going this Thurs through Monday, Nov 1.

I was pleased with the way the video looks, but think I could have done better by putting french flags or scrims to dim some of the white / bright items in the video frame. Next time I will do this.

The overly bright flowers behind one of the ladies was fixed in post. But this was very educational. To see the video in post on the Sony VEGAS waveform monitor tells me that the white & yellow flowers were too bright compared to a dark complexioned face.

Next time I will flag, scrim or some how reduce the light falling on bright objects in the frame.

I'm not totally happy with the music the client specified, but hey, it's their money. I like the overall result.

I do like using the HD10 camera, and the image it produces. I don't even ask clients any more if they want HD or SD. I just shoot on HDV format and down rez if needed. I like the letter boxed 16:9 frame for SD TV and the clients seem happy too.

For a client that had a nicer budget, maybe over $ 7-8 k I would probably rent a Sony (W700 or W 900) or Panasonic HDTV camera. But all my clients are under $ 7 k budgets, so the HD 10 works great. This camera is working out fine as a production tool, as long as you can fix the color noise and lack of complete manual exposure in post.

These web files are MPEG's at 5 Mbutes and 22 Mbytes. Kind of large to download. But the larger ones give you a feel for the image quality. Not as nice as the video we gave to the cable operator.

http://www.highlydef.com/BWCA_campaign_demo.html

Ed
ed@highlydef.com
Old October 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

For some reason I could not get them to open in Windows Media player.

Congrats on your HD10U.
Old October 29th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok.

I have posted smaller files as WinMedia 9 and an Apple Quicktime 5 .mov file. Plus there is still a large MPEG file.

This may work better.

Ed
ed@highlydef.com
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #4
Trustee

HaHaaa.....

I only have dialup, so I only looked at the WMV...

I think they look great!

Regarding the questions asked by the ladies...in my best Johnny Carson voice..."I didn't know that!" - Lol

What Vegas controls did you adjust in post for the flowers?

What format(s) and media did you provide to the client for these spots?
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I used the sony Vegas Bump map control. You can selectively brighten one area of the video frame while another part remains darker by playing with the filter settings.

Ed
ed@highlydef.com
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #6
Trustee

Do you need an extra JVC HD10 cheap? Also tons of add-ons like macro/wide lenses etc.

Click me: JVC JY-HD10 U for sale cheap.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U