inaccurate 16:9 frame on HD1 LCD Screen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:33 AM   #1
Major Player

inaccurate 16:9 frame on HD1 LCD Screen?

Hi everybody,

I have a JVC GR-PD1 which is similar to the HD1 except that it's not HD.

After completing a shoot in Tokyo last week, watching footage in the KDDI editing software... I have learnt that the 16:9 image on the LCD screen is inaccurate, in terms of framing. The actual frame is larger than that represented on the LCD screen when shooting. When I look at my shots, there's an extra bit on the left and right! I don't know if the image in the viewfinder lied in this way, as I rarely looked through it.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is there a simple way to fix it? Is it possible that at anothe juncture in the editing process the image will 'jump back' to that ratio portrayed whilst shooting?

I imagine I will simply have to mask when doing my final cut - but would appreciate hearing other opinions.

Thanks very much.
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #2
Major Player

guess it's just the PD1
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #3
Wrangler

All of the prosumer cameras have LCD's and viewfinders that overscan. This goes for the VX-2100, PD-170, PDX-10, XL-1, GL-2, XL-2, etc.

Unfortunately it's just something you have to be aware of and allow some breathing room such that unwanted objects don't appear in the final frame. If viewing on a regular TV this shouldn't be a problem because they also overscan. The only way around this is to use a pro monitor or a laptop that shows the full frame when you shoot.

At one time or another I'll bet that we've all been "bitten" by this. I know I have...
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:27 AM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Jones Senior : guess it's just the PD1 -->>>

I left replying to this one alone.....initially. I don't have a JVC PD1 PAL 'Extended' definition camcorder, and as the HD10u I do own doesn't exhibit this particular behaviour I couldn't really comment.

The HD10 is pretty much WYSIWYG on the LCD....so perhaps it is just a case of the same pixel count LCD not being 'set' to fully resample the lower resolution PAL signal. But that's just a guess..........
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Boyd and Steve.

To be honest, I'd wager the HD1 and HD10 overscan to the same extent.

I wouldn't have even noticed it on 95% of the shots. Just the 5% with very tight framing. It's an overscan of about 2 - 3%.

Oh well. Now I know..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U