PD1 Hi-RES mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old January 27th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PD1 Hi-RES mode

Hello all!
Been a bit puzzled by the hi-res shooting mode on my pd1, it appears that the transport stream is not 25fps but actually 50fps, messed up seeing as I brought the camera for 25p 576. I use Moonlight cordless mpeg player to view my transport streams and i've noticed that on the PD1 hi res mode the info on the transport stream says its 50fps, Im starting to thinks this is the case cause, premiere and after effects and all the software ive tried to use with the footage sees it as 50fps.

Ive just had an interesting conversation with JVC UK regarding this matter and they got immediatley very defensive over the issue, they say that the camera is not supported in any software at all in the Hi-Res mode, so excuse me for asking but what the f*** is the point in this mode then? I wanted to get some feedback from other owners of the PD1, shoot some footage on hi res mode, then capture this stream with the capture software and then play this back, all the info in every player ive used says this stream is 50fps rather than 25fps has anyone else noticed the same thing?

If its the case ive got to take this up with advertising standards as the reason I got the cam in the first place was the fact it shot PAL SD at 576p 25fps.

Feedback would be much appreciated,
Thanks,
Sam Sharpe

by the way on the HD1 when shooting HD what frame rate does moonlight mpeg player show on the info section, is it 30fps as expected or does it display it as 60fps?
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #2
Trustee

I would ask this in the HDV editing forum.
The output of all the modes is SD PAL so I don't know what JVC is saying. I think maybe there was some miscommunication. What setting do you have it on the cam. I am guessing there is DV, SD50p and SD25p(downsampled HD)?
You say you have imported it into Premiere. How many frames is it showing you in 1 second?
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #3
Trustee

>> I am guessing there is DV, SD50p and SD25p

That's my understanding too; that the hi-res mode is indeed 50p 576 ..... but that the camera also provides 25p 576. So there shouldn't be a problem.

>>on the HD1 when shooting HD what frame rate does moonlight mpeg player show on the info section?

30fps
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #4
Major Player

The PD1 has DV, 50p and 25p.

25p is the Hi-Res mode.

Sam's right - there is a quirk. The 25p Hi Res outputs at 50p!

All NLE's I have output to perceive the 25p Hi Res as 50p and play the footage twice as fast accordingly.

Also, the component output has two settings only: 50i, 50p!

A little freaky for someone like myself (and maybe you Sam) who is deadset on the 25p mode but David Newman comforts as follows:

'It is not an issue. 50p analog output is simply so that the frame doesn't flicker like crazy. Even 24p film is displayed at 48Hz, with each frame being flashed on the screen twice. You are shooting 25p, if you are editing from the IEEE1394 signal you are editing 25p.

However, the PD1's MPEG transport stream does indicate 50 discrete frames -- this is where some software is getting confused. The MPEG stream marks repeat frames, just the same way 24P film is encoded onto 30fps only NTSC DVDs. The repeat frames do not take a significant slice of the bit-stream, but editing software does need to be aware of it.'

Probably the most annoying thing is the cam also shoots 50p. This means virtually anyone you ask advice from will jump to the conclusion you are confused by the cameras modes.

:)
Old January 28th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #5
Trustee

So how would one correct for this then?
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:16 AM   #6
Major Player

The implication of David's comment seems to be that you don't have to - though that's in relation to the analog output. There may be 50 frames per second, but there are only 25 differences, so it doesn't matter. After all, it's true progressive.

Unfortunately with software 50 frames are registered by the system and it is neccessary to advise it that there's only really 25.

The method of doing so would depend on the software - certainly the bundled KDDI software can manage it, leading one to believe no such problem exists!
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:43 AM   #7
Trustee

So it is just a matter of software support, or lack there of.
KDDI can't be the only workable platform. Who else?
Old January 28th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm cutting pic only at this stage, so the KDDI software works well for me. The 25p image is so nice, I want to avoid processing - and at least the KDDI software has been specifically tuned to the cam.

Tried Media Studio Pro 7 with the HDV Plug in during the summer because it seemed to offer more and purported to support the PD1 - the English version actually had a 'JVC Hi-Res' option you could select! Unfortunately it didn't work at the time and I got a refund. That was the summer, it may be fixed.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:24 AM   #9
Major Player

New blog about PD1

http://jvcgr-pd1.blogspot.com/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U