DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   GR-HD1 being used on American Idol? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/38429-gr-hd1-being-used-american-idol.html)

Basem Elsokary January 27th, 2005 01:55 PM

GR-HD1 being used on American Idol?

I didn't find any posts pertaining to this...but at the risk of being identified as an American Idol viewer, I just saw a flash in the credits yesterday that GR-HD1's were provided to American Idol by JVC...

the show is actually shown in HD, and I was just wondering if anyone had any information on how much it was used?

I was also surprised to see that it would be used at all by a broadcast network seeing as so many people seem to frequently bash this camera...

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2005 04:05 PM

As much as it pains me having to confess to seeing at least part of one recent Idol episode, it sure is interesting how they seem to be mixing in a frame mode or progressive mode in there every once in awhile. Don't know exactly what it is, but it's obvious when they do it.

Gabriele Sartori January 29th, 2005 05:39 PM

JVC basher

Most of the people that is bashing the JVC HD1 or HD10 is ignorant in the sense of lack of knowledge. THe camera is not perfect but it has been incredibly capable and some of its feature are holding me away from the FX1.
I do own the HD1 and there is this thing about the extra edge processing. In my opinion JVC did a mistake, they could have done a pro version keeping a manual edge control on both of them and still adding a lot of value to the pro version simply with better firmware and added functions in manual mode but to be honest I never had any problem with the edge processing, with the right light conditions these cameras just kick butts.

Gabriele

Tom Roper January 30th, 2005 01:23 AM

The camera has been a lightning rod of criticism from the SD crowd, who aren't ready to adopt HD, (or more likely abandon their SD cams), and a whipping boy to glorify the FX1's throne as the HDV messiah.

Those who ignore the banter have ended up with a great camera in its own right that holds it's own on many counts, including progressive images, manageable size and weight, and the unique 16x9 480p60 mode gives the best panning and motion performance this side of ESPN-HD.

Heath McKnight March 1st, 2005 08:02 PM

It's a lightning rod because it's 1 chip and not manual.

But I saw Peter Jackson using one (maybe the PAL version) in one of the video production diaries from a few months ago while he was researching for King Kong.

heath

Tom Roper March 2nd, 2005 12:01 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : It's a lightning rod because it's 1 chip and not manual.>>>

Fair criticism, but an HD1/10 does a much better job of imitating 3 CCD than a SD CAM does imitating HDTV.

And while I have the utmost respect for you and the concerns of the professional film makers, my criticism of that group is that they are not ready for high-def, or HDV is the wrong format for those that are. Whether it's the HD10 or the FX1, you pros are at war with yourselves re-encoding the format into something it isn't, 24fps, DVD video and then having to debate yourselves whether it matches what the best SD cams are doing natively, or lamenting how you wish you could afford HDCAM, VARICAM etc.

Amateurs and hobbyists aren't constrained by your problem with finding a format for distribution. To recount an anecdote, my brother who is a professional still-photographer carries bags of equipment and tripods, large format, but often times his camera is in the bag while my pocket digital captures the candids he missed.

It's not unfair to level criticism at JVC for marketing the camera as a "Prosumer" when the only pro feature is its price tag. But it has nice amateur appreciated features like smaller size, lighter weight, and can whip-pan circles around any FX1 when the 16x9 480p60 mode is chosen.

But speaking for amateurs and hobbyists interested in the actual HDV format, we've already seen the best that SD NTSC cams have to offer. It's on TV every night. We want HDTV. It's better. The HD1/10 rocks. Even American Idol seems to be saying so.

Heath McKnight March 2nd, 2005 03:39 PM

I'm actually a big proponent of HDV, and as you can see that enthusiasm helped me become a wrangler of the HDV camera boards, now with the great Spot, who's written a book on the subject. I'm glad many people are getting around the HD10/HD1's limitations and making great stuff!

I would say the pro, amateur and student filmmaker is ready for HDV, even with its limitations. I know I am, at this moment, going to use the Z1 to shoot my feature. Unless another, better HDV camera comes out before October, I'm using the Z1. And my DP has used the FX1 on a short and now a feature film, so he's comfortable with the camera, and like me, knows we can go to 24p in post. Peter Jackson certainly seems to like the HD10/HD1 (or the PAL version) for his research in New York City.

Hope this helps,

heath

Joe Carney March 11th, 2005 12:25 PM

According to an article over at digitalproducer, American Idol is using Panasonic Varicams in full 1280x720x60p with surround sound. That is also the Fox standard. They even redesinged the stages for 16x9 shooting. They've already announced they will be using them in season 5

I watch it in 1080i on comcast and it looks great, so 720p should be no problem for worrying about final broadcast.