Would you buy one again? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:57 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Another thing to keep in mind is the HD1 has a 90 day warranty on parts and labor, whereas the HD10 has a one year warranty. If you're buying the refurbished camera from a JVC authorized reseller you'll get the same warranty as a new item.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:12 PM   #32
MPS Digital Studios

I bought the extended warranty for peace of mind. I have 18 months or so left on it, fully transferrable.

heath
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:26 PM   #33
Trustee

It's 1 year parts, 90 days labor on GR-HD1 for USA. I just looked.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:40 PM   #34
Regular Crew

my bad . . . I suppose the labor charges wouldn't be cheap though.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:42 PM   #35
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Roper : It's 1 year parts, 90 days labor on GR-HD1 for USA. I just looked. -->>>

Not much of a warranty for such an expensive camera. I have a $1,500 HP monitor that has a 3 year warranty. But cameras and monitors are different animals I suppose.
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Extended warranty saved my butt. The fire wire card fried on my hd10u a month after the manufacture warranty.
Would I buy another HD10u? Sure. For the price it's hard to beat.
Do I want a new gy100u? Hell yes. But when money is a factor...like it almost always is..I'll take the time with my HD10u to get the shots right and tweak the hell out of it in post.
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #37
MPS Digital Studios

Erik is in the know and his stuff ROCKS! I have respect for the filmmakers and videographers that made the HD10 and HD1 SING! But, for my money, I'll take the HD10 with more features and less edge enhancement.

heath
Old March 24th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Thanks Heath...anything to help you get a sale:)
Less edge enhancment ROCKS!
Old March 24th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #39
MPS Digital Studios

I'm not saying that for a sale, just to say your stuff was great! With patience, this camera is great.

I'm done with the buying a camera biz--I barely shoot anything anymore, and with access to my friends' DVX100As (I'm a big fan) and FX1 (big fan there, too), and rental possibilities with the HD-100, I don't need to buy a camera for a while. Or ever.

heath
Old March 24th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Thanks man, I was just kidding.
Old March 24th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #41
MPS Digital Studios

Heh heh, no sweat. Any new HDV films we need to check out?

heath
Old March 24th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Editing one right now for the Amazon.com/Tribeca contest. Low light still sucks with this cam, but you do what you can with what you got. Right? I'll post a link when it's done...couple more weeks.
E.
Old March 24th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #43
MPS Digital Studios

Treat it like a 35mm film camera.

heath
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:10 AM   #44
Major Player

>>>There have been a number of HD-1s 2nd hand on EBay that have sold at auction for around $1000, presumably as people trade "up" to the Sony.<<<

well , that sounded interesting on Grahams' post so I just went to ebay and checked it out - I mean for a grand the jvc would be worth the trouble esp. as an outside point and shoot camera or a desaturated ( blk&wht)- no way-- You are not going to buy that camera on ebay for $1000- not today anyway- and I use ebay alot and believe , not for tomorrow either - and I know that if maybe you're watching for a few months you might get a scag for a grand but todays' prices are at $1500 bucks - that 's another story - I'd pay one hundred dollars more and get a NEW pdx10 at b&h long before I'd buy a used camera off ebay ( always a modicum of risk ). A thousand dollar 720/30p camera is still a few years off, even for a used jvc.
Kurth
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #45
New Boot

I purchased my HD1 for shooting outdoors in Florida,
purchased last september
I have 8 mini dv's of shots from launches to surf.
I also have an underwater case.
Unfortunately of the 8 mini dv's 4 have problems
the first is ok the next has bad pixels due to the ccd failing
( replaced at local service in about 3 weeks)
another good tape or two, then grey areas appear inverse to the light hitting the lense.
( finally figured out the problem by accident)
I sent it in to JVC factory service
no contact from them for a week after delivery to them of the unit, I called , they said it would be fixed in a week.
Icalled back after checking online for a week, oops - sorry a week is our standard answer, the tech is backed up (a bad sign) at least two more weeks. - That should be next week. I bought the JVC in September because Sony hadn't given a release date on their camera, and It looked like a good deal. I have always used Sony, for service and reliability reasons. While the camera's been offline, I've missed 2 surfing competitions ( Kelly Slaters at monster hole, and ron jons easter surf)as well as several launches from the cape. i also have missed gator mating season ( lots of good wildlife shots). And i am being held up from starting my next series of shots for a mojor client. JVC needs to get their act together before I would purchase again

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U