Would you buy one again? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old April 5th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #46
MPS Digital Studios

Did you buy a new one, jim?

heath
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #47
New Boot

Yes from B&H, The price was good, delivery was great, but the camera has disappointed me.
I had read all the posts, and taken the time to set up shots as with a 35mm film camera.
The camera has taken some good footage, but more ccd problems than not.
the graying is a clump of pixels that grow in grayness as more light is applied. the original problem was just failed pixels producing a red dot on the image.
If this was a sony, they would have given me a replacement with lots of apologies, but JVC seems to take a tough s--- approach to customer problems.
They are doing the work under warranty, but the lack of urgency on their part is disconcerting.
I have several projects on hold waiting for the camera and we are moving thru the spring season in florida,
I also have missed the duck migrations when about 10,000 ducks set down in a local river.
lack of reliability in a camera or a manufacturer is the last thing i need.
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #48
MPS Digital Studios

This is odd...I figured they would've sent a temporary replacement while they fixed it. I'd call their customer service and give them a piece of your mind.

heath
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #49
Regular Crew

It took JVC two months to replace my CCD under warranty. Luckily I had two months worth of editing work in the mean time. I wish they had a service loaner program like Lexus. :)
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #50
MPS Digital Studios

I liked the XL-1 club; 5 days from shipment to and shipment from the factory, or you get a loaner. Free club, too.

heath
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #51
Regular Crew

That's awesome. Now I want Canon to one-up JVC and Sony with their own HDV camera. I should have sent in for that XL owners club. I was without my XL1s for a couple of weeks last year. It was malfunctioning and needed a PCB replacement. Abt Electronics was good about taking it in for service, and of course they sent it to Canon. Anyhow I'm glad I sold it before the XL2 came out.
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #52
Regular Crew

In hind site yes

I Have had my HD10 since January. I just recently received my XL2. The quality difference between the two is definately not 3000 worth of quality. In fact a lot of times the JVC is out performing it's 3CCD counterpart. Now having said that. I'm totally glad and happy that I bought the XL2 it is way easier to use, the lens is beautiful and the Zoom and auto focus outperform the Jvc hands down. The list of other features makes the Canon very easy to operate, however at the end of the day when you start looking at finished product, I guarantee that everyone will be surprised at the level of Quality from the JVC. If I had have know that the Quality difference between the two was going to be that marinal I would have definately bought another JVC.
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #53
Regular Crew

I've had my GR-HD1 since Dec. 2003. At the time I even bought it new from Amazon for $2200 (great price at the time). I use it only for family videos.

I have been debating to get the new Sony but for a few reasons will not and would probably even replace my HD1 with another for a cheaper price.

Here are the main reasons:

1. I have a 1280X720 Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector and a JVC DVHS player. The videos look tremendous on it and at least for several more years I would not really even be able to get higher resolution unless I upgraded it.

2. The Sony, while more features and higher resolution is also BIGGER. The JVC actually seems pretty small to me when compared. This makes a big difference if you are like me and filming while tracking 3 small children.

3. I like the fact the JVC is true progressive. I can grab any frame I want. I've ended up with a few great stills this way.

4. It has been a very durable camera (boat trips, Thailand, etc.) It has held up well for the last 1.5 years.

The only regret I have is not forking out a little extra for the HD10 to avoid some of the edge enhancement.

Now if someone comes out with a higher resolution true progressive next month in the 3K range that is a little smaller than the JVC, I'd consider it.

Bryan
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #54
MPS Digital Studios

It seems that every time a new HDV camera comes out, we'd have to upgrade EVERYTHING--VTRs, etc.

heath
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #55
New Boot

Another failure

Once again - a critical weekend - and this time my gr-hd1 won't even power up
I just spent an hour on hold waiting for jvc's "service" line to answer - with no results. I called B& H but they have the same number and they told me they have nop factory rep direct number. My real problem now is no fourth of july footage, and one week to the first shuttle launch in 2 1/2 years.
Disappointment in JVC is an understatement at this time.
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #56
Major Player

You seem to have been really unlucky with that camera. I have a HD1 for some time and never had any sort of problems. In fact it feels much more sturdy than my GL2.

I would try to send the camera back and get a new one.
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #57
New Boot

Jvc

I'm waiting to see how JVC responds - I was getting ready to order a second camera to have two for scene shooting.- All my previous experience has been with Sony - ( very happy) . Hope it's finally fixed or replaced
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:21 AM   #58
Major Player

The answer to question in title of thread lies in low light spec, is 35 Lux. I'm sure next generation replacement for this model will be some 5x more sensitive.

Radek

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U