New owner. which stabilizer? Filters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old April 9th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #1
New Boot

New owner. which stabilizer? Filters?

After a long awaited research period I decided to purchase the HD1. I immediately noticed it's much criticized handling when handheld. Although I will be shooting mostly surf from a tripod, I would like to consider a stabilizer.

I would like to know how you all feel about the following:
-Glidecam 2000
-steadicam jr
-Varizoom flowpod

Also, I immediately purchased a polarizer and it improved the image a lot. Would you pack a ND filter on top of the polarizer, if so what level?

It seem like shooting surf with this camera is going to be a challenge (30p is tougher than I thought). Im open for any suggestions and willing to post footage for discussion as soon as I start shooting. There are no waves here in Hawaii, can you believe that!
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:37 AM   #2
New Boot

Filters and stuff

Haven't used any stabilizers but always use filters when i can. You should search previous threads for ND discussion. Most go with the more the better for ND filters, i use 2 x ND4 and a pola or enhancer to soften the video look as much as possible.

I also got a JVC tele adaptor GL-V1452U 1.4x but found it was way too short to shoot surf action. Still looking for a good option for long lens stuff.

The best fun i have is with the JVC underwater housing, it has limited controls but works great in the surf as a splash housing that goes underwater to 10m. You have no pro control on iris etc but it shoots great bits in between flares that are amazing.

read through the posts and you will get some great stuff..

bernie
Sydney Australia
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #3
New Boot

Shooting around water

I have a GR-HD1, I use the ikelite u/w case ( great controls)
I use polarizing and ND filters in various combinations.
We can go from very harsh sunshine to grey overcast very quickly.
My shutter is at 1/30 usually to minimize blurring, but this can require 2 or 4 ND ( sometimes both) and a polarizer to keep light levels down.
As far as stabilizing, I shoot from a good bogen tripod with a fluid head on the beach, and the ikelite case I use from my jetski, out in the waves, and UW.
The counterweight for neutral bouyancy helps stabilize if on above water shots, and builds up muscles as well.( it's detachable ,for shooting in the surf,so if you loose the camera, at least it will be floating )
Another nice thing about the Ikelite case is that when shooting from my jetski, Wind noise is eliminated as the mike is inside the case. it records conversation wthout the whoosh. I've learned to be careful with my panning speed. and try not to zoom during a shot at surfers on waves, unless I'm willing to edit out a few frames.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #4
Trustee

"My shutter is at 1/30 usually to minimize blurring"

I don't really understand what you are saying here? 1/30th will give you lots of blurring. Most of us strive for 1/60 (which is only possible if you lock the shutter at 1/60th) because 1/30th gives an exagerated film blur.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #5
New Boot

1/30 shutter speed

I've found that locking at 1/30 and controlling my pan speed, I end up with a very film like look to the subject. I lead slightly ahead of my subject, and it creates a very color rich image. I'll try 1/60 and report the results in the future.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #6
Trustee

For sure 1/30th will give you a very film like look. A soft motion blur to movement. 1/60th will give you a cleaner shot (less blur on movement), depends on what look your after.
Through my testing I have found that in the HD mode, given that you are not in massive light, the cam will always revert to 1/30th. No matter what. You can then simply lock the exposure at whatever you like. To get 1/60th you have to ND filter down to a level where the auto exposure will not change and lock the shutter at 1/60th. Could be easier but it works.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U