Should i buy the HD1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 11th, 2005, 03:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Should i buy the HD1?

Hi
i would love to have a high definiton camcorder. I prefer to take video while i am walking. Because i usually take videos at my vacations i dont want to buy i big camera like sony fx1. So my only choice is the hd1 because of the small size.
How is the image quality with this camera if i take video while i am walking. The night shots will be equal to my sony dv camera trv70 (lux 7)?
thank you
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Get used HD10 on ebay instead. HD1 and 10 rated 35 lux.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hd10

For the money I am a huge fan of the JVC jyhd10. I also own an XL2 and use both for my video production company. Mainly event videography. If you are willing to really put the time into learning how the JVC works it will yield fantastic results. If you are looking for something to set to AUTO and run and gun, I would suggest another camera. When I work with the two cameras side by side it amazes me the quality of footage that I can get from the JVC. For the money I would highly recommend it. Just be prepared to experiment alot and visit forums like this to help you along, the manual like most cameras in this class is really sparse. I would buy another JyHD10 for sure.
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Major Player

If you're looking for a low-priced HD camera, definitely go for the HD1. I have one and would get a new one any time. Don't get confused with all this talk about the new cameras (Z1,HD100U,HVX) - sure they're great, but they're also expensive and bulky.

The HD10 is only slightly better, the main differences being the higher res viewfinder, XLR audio inputs, and less edge enhancement on the video.
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks for your reply but you didnt answer my questions about image quality shooting while im walking and if i could take videos with low light.
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Shooting while walking doesn't depend on the camera. You are better off getting a soulder support or steady stick if you want more steady images. Is that what you mean?

As to low light, I don't know the Sony you mentioned, but the HD1 is a 1 CCD camera so it's not the best under poor lighting conditions. However personally I found it to be much better than most people say, almost as good as my GL2.

I can post a couple of stills taken in low light if you want.
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

i asked about shooting while walking not for how is the stabilization of the camera, but for the image quality, does it blurs? i saw videos of fx1 (cineframe mode) and even with a small movement the image had blurring.
3300 euros for buying fx1 is too much for me but 2000 for hd1 its much better.
thanks for your replys
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #8
suspended -- contact admin

I think if you know how to hold a camera fairly steadily you can shoot footage while walking. The JVC camera has an advantage over the Sony and I don't think it blurs as much as the Sony does when you move it. This is because it uses a 6 group of pictures compression codec while the Sony uses a 12 GOP compression codec. The Sony compression codec may be more efficient but their is a perfomance loss when it is used.

The low light perfomance of the JVC camera is not as good as the Sony camera however a lot of times you may think that you are shooting in low light but actually you get too much light into the camera and overexpose the image.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:02 AM   #9
Trustee

The HD1/10 doesn't blur when you shoot with it while walking, but the video is very jittery at 30fps with unsteady holds. I wouldn't recommend shooting with it while walking. When I have, it's jerky looking despite my best attempts. My HD1 prefers a tripod, or a very steady hand. The optical image stabilization is not very good in my opinion.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #10
Trustee

And then perhaps I misunderstood your intended use. Taking the HD1 along for strolls is fine. Shooting while taking steps is what I would avoid.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:57 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiannis Kall
Hi
i would love to have a high definiton camcorder. I prefer to take video while i am walking. Because i usually take videos at my vacations i dont want to buy i big camera like sony fx1. So my only choice is the hd1 because of the small size.
How is the image quality with this camera if i take video while i am walking. The night shots will be equal to my sony dv camera trv70 (lux 7)?
thank you
The guy wants vacation shots, is not pro, walks with his camera as he takes pictures, The JVC with 30 Hz shooting is not for him. Low light performance will not be as good as his DV camera.

I have FX1E. There is no objectionable motion blur. Try it. You'll find out same.

Ideal camera for him may be the announced coming up smaller Sony HDV, or coming up Canon, or whatever with 60 Hz shooting mode.

Radek
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:16 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
The guy wants vacation shots, is not pro, walks with his camera as he takes pictures
Heh. For *most* guys (not you, Yiannis) who want vacation shots, are not pros, walk with their camera as they takes pictures, their video is already unwatchable, so any motion artifacting won't make any difference. The toughest challenge these guys have to face has nothing to do with technology or choice of format or choice of camcorder. Their toughest challenge is actually watching the video they shoot. That's the hardest thing to do.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:59 AM   #13
Regular Crew

you are wrong, i use my handheld stabilizer and then proceed with video editing using the stabilization plugin of premiere. Then the video is full watchable!!!!. Shooting while walking gives after the virtual feeling (when you watch the video at my 80'' projector) that you are there living the moment.
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:07 AM   #14
Major Player

You probaly shoot with wide angle setting. Chris is however right. You should make your own camera decision. Add some scary music to enhance the famous Blair Witch look. That movie was blockbuster. Just kidding. Try the camera(s) in store. Walk with it with your stabilizer, see which camera you like.

Radek
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:11 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Speaking in general terms, the guy who wants vacation shots and is not a pro (again, not Yiannis in particular), will not have a stabilizer or shoulder support. I'm pretty sure I'm right about that. It's good to see that Yiannis has one, of course.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U