Need a push off the HD-1 cliff... any help? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 17th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #16

Press release:
http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5930
http://www.vasst.com
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #17
Major Player

Alan,

I've had an HD10 since almost the day it was introduced, and my use has been family stuff (although I have some ideas of some things I'd like to do). There will be NO comparison to ANY SD stuff on your JVC D-ILA. I repeat DO NOT get an SD camera. I've heard great things about the Sony pics, but the size is just too much. I would buy my HD10 again today.

As you've probably read, the HD1 is a little over-enhanced. I definitely prefer the HD10 pic. Other advantages to HD10. Warranty one year parts AND labor. You deal with JVC pro - not consumer. I had a pixel turn bright after almost two years, and since I bought it on MC, I had an additional year warranty. I just received the reimbursement check from MC. Working with a local dealer here in the Cleveland area was a very pleasant experience - considering it was an experience I'd rather not have!

I guess that the JVC tv is 720x1280 native res - a better match for the HD1-10 anyway.

Sometimes you can find an inexpensive D-VHS machine - or mabe build HTPC.

Go for it!
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #18
Trustee

Interesting!

THAT camera going certainly going to attract a whole new category of buyers - this forum may started getting crowded....
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #19
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling
Interesting!

THAT camera going certainly going to attract a whole new category of buyers - this forum may started getting crowded....
I'd give-up my HD1 in a moment if it weren't for 4 Sony problems:

1) We can expect a progressive consumer camcorder from JVC soon, so there is no reason to accept interlace.

2) Despite the fact it can obviously take a progressive still -- Sony did not include 1080iPsF24. It would have been a piece of cake. So it can't be used as a B-roll camera with CineAlta. We can expect 24p from JVC.

3) Requirement for 2X greater compute power -- which means dual 3.4GHz Xeons to edit 1080i natively. Or, half the number of HD streams if using an intermediate codec. So the camera is cheap, but the computer is expensive. Going progressive cuts computer power requirements by a factor of 2.

Nwevertheless, the Sony CMOS/DSP technology on which we received an extensive briefing is spectacular! In fact, despite my hesitations -- the Sony consumer version may prove impossible not to buy! Especially if it has a flip-up flash! (3 Mpixels is perfect for me.)

Also, question about noise pick-up from the mic. Sony does not yet know if it has the noise cancelation feature.

No matter what -- Sony has a winner in these two!
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #20
New Boot

Again, thanks to all for the flury of posts...

I went ahead and jumped off the cliff and into the arms of the B&H online ordering screens... a GR-HD1 in my sights...

It's setup for two day air delivery so I don't miss play time over the weekend! ;)

I'll certainly be a regular here in some form or other for some time to come.

I'll let you know how things look on the D-ILA!

Alan
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:51 AM   #21
Major Player

HD1's were supposedly selling on eBay for about 1000 USD, after FX1 introduction Now after new cheaper Sony HDV camera comes out, even new HD1 model will have to sell not much more than 1000 USD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U