Does this mean the JVC GR-HD1 is dead? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 20th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #1
New Boot

Does this mean the JVC GR-HD1 is dead? I have one showing up on my door Friday...

I'm not technical enough to look at the specs for the new Sony HC1 to know if I should send the JVC back and wait a couple months for the Sony.

Any help from you guys is in great need!!!

Help! (and thank you)

Alan
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Alan,

Rest assured that your HD1 is not dead. It should arrive in perfect working order (depending of course on who you bought it from).

I'd really like to dispel the notion -- no, better to call it a myth -- that just because a new camcorder is announced, previous models of other makes are no longer viable tools. That's just not true. It's not as if there's an "obsolesence sensor" inside the cam that detects the announcement of a new model, and immediately shuts down and stops working.

Seriously though, your HD1 will give you the capability to excersize your creativity and will continue to do so for as long as you choose to take care of it. Plus, it's available now. If you're waiting, you're not creating. Also, you have an enormous support resource available -- this message board. Finally, you can have it both ways. Take good care of your HD1, and if you want to move on to something newer a little later on, simply sell your HD1 and use that money toward a new one. It's kind of like a car. You don't have to keep it forever. You can upgrade every year if you want, or even more frequently. It just depreciates faster, is all.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The jvc Hd1 has progressive record (better for LCD screens) and better GOP (the image blurs less than sony's when there is camera movement)
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #4
Major Player

The new Sonys are generation ahead of the JVC. Plus they record 50-60 Hz. The 30 Hz progressive JVC may produce more cinema-like images, the average person is better with 50-60 Hz interlaced model.

Radek
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #5
suspended -- contact admin

If Sony is so much better than JVC why doesn't Sony offer progressive ? For the computer industry it was decided a long time ago that progressive was the only way to go. So who are you going to believe the television industry with their interlace advocates or the computer industry that uses progressive and progressive only. And which camera do you think will look better on a computer screen that is natively progressive ? CBS and NBC may use interlace but what kind of camera does the high definition internet broadcaster use ? And remember the easiest way to distribute high definition content is through computer devices that are capable of playing high definition without any additional equipment purchases needed.
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #6
New Boot

Chris,
I appreciate the comments and understand. My concern was that something in the specs for the Sony really blows away the JVC in such a way that I'm silly not to wait a couple months.

I hadn't seen anything like that, but am not really conversant in all the terminology and technology.

I'll rest easy that I'll have clear images from the JVC and a great community to work with here.

BTW, I ended up purchasing from B&H.

Alan
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #7
Trustee

Well wellcome to HDV Alan.
It can be a tricky cam at times as it does have a moderate learning curve. So don't hesitate to ask if your stuck.
The forum archives here at dvinfo.net are an amazing resource. Have a look in them if you want a head start, just make sure to select the HD1/10 forum in the search or you will get posts from every forum. Enjoy your new toy.

Last edited by Ken Hodson; May 21st, 2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #8
Major Player

I have the HD1 and wouldn't swap it for a FX1... It all comes down to what one wants to use his camera for.

The HD1 can produce amazing images if you treat them well in post.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:52 AM   #9
Major Player

Try the FX1, I have FX1E. It is one generation newer. It means a lot.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:56 PM   #10
Trustee

Always good advice for people to explore all of their options.
The FX1 isn't really one generation newer. It is Sony's first HDV cam as is the HD1/10 JVC's first HDV cam. Another point in the FX1 is it is nearly twice the price and is a interlaced based cam. Not what everyone on a budget needs when they want to see their new progressive HDTV in all its glory.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM   #11
Capt. Quirk

"It's not as if there's an "obsolesence sensor" inside the cam that detects the announcement of a new model, and immediately shuts down and stops working."

I smell a cover up... What do you really know Chris? If that is indeed your real name???
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM   #12
Trustee

As long as most HDTVs are 1280X720, there is certainly a value to shooting at that size. Chris is correct, they don't become obsolete that fast.

Now if you had time to wait, the HD1 might go down in price once the new Sony consumer cam is released this July. That does not make it obsolete, it makes it a bargain.
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #13
Trustee

I'm really getting some awesome footage from the HD1. It has no panning/motion issues at all and looks great at 30fps if you observe the following:

1.) Use a tripod with a fluid head.
2.) Turn optical image stabilization OFF when on the tripod.
3.) Shoot at 1/60th second shutter speed.
4.) Use 4x (.6) neutral density filter in combination with a quality polarizer in bright daylight outdoors.
5.) Don't overdo the polarizer, i.e. don't go too dark on the sky. Adjust the ring for a subtle gradation, somewhere between full light and dark, or just enough to bring out the cloud detail without overly darkening the sky.
5a.) Turn on exposure lock to observe the polarizer effect while turning the ring, then turn off exposure lock before shooting. It will help you find the right setting of the ring. If you don't, it can be hard to see any change from turning the ring. But remember to turn it off before making the shot.
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Far from Dead

I love my JVC hd10. I have said this a number of times, but it really blows my mind the results I can get from this camera. I just did a shoot with the JVC and the XL2. I love my XL2 mainly for it ease of use but I have never been disappointed with the footage I have taken off the JVC. Just listen to the advice from these forums, and don't hesitate to ask questions. Practice makes perfect. Experiment and have fun.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U