HD1-Component out not working right?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:32 PM   #1
Trustee

HD1-goes back to B&H~~

I decided to view HDV footage on my 65" Mitsubishi HDTV with my HD1 using the "Componenet Video cable" and the colors are wrong- I see a "sepia" tonality across the image and there are no reds or greens to speak off. I then switched to the S-video cable and the colors are perfect- but the image is not hi-def of course. I bought the camera for it's hi-def imagery and if I can't get perfect HD out of the camera- I don't want it......has anyone here tested their HD1's with the Component Video cables- how did it look? Could I have a faulty cable? I'd hate to think I have a messed up component out jack- the camera is only a day old!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Steve Nunez; August 23rd, 2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:22 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

Call JVC tech support right away!

heath
Old August 23rd, 2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Does it matter if the TV is HDTV Ready?
If it has component video (YPbR) jacks (input) wouldn't it still display HDV?

I just tried the HD1 on a neighbors HDTV "Ready" set and it does the same thing as my HD set does- no RED colors at all- the reds are missing!!!!

I guess this JVC HD1 is going back to B&H- I'll put in another $1300 and get the Sony FX1. I really liked the JVC's size and form, the Sony is very large and looks pro but very cumbersome- and I really didn't want to mess with interlaced video- but this HD1 is 2 days old now and it has a problem- so back it goes.

For the record- I think the camcorder is fine- I really think the Component Video Cable is the culprit- it looks like a custom cable that was spliced into a mini VGA adapter for space reasons on the JVC- I'm thinking the red cable isn't soldered right and therefore not outputting red color info- but I don't want to splice it and check as then I will not be able to return the camcorder to B&H.
I called JVC and requested a new cable and described it's likely faulty operation, and the tech lady (Kim) told me I'd have to purchase a new $47 cable- I told her the camera was new and likely has a faulty cable- but she said I'd still have to buy a new cable. So back it goes!

I don't blame JVC as I don't expect them to send out pieces whenever someone says they have a faulty unit- but I truly see no other way of rectifying the situation but requesting a new cable. Because they refused me a $2 part at most (their cost) they'll get a returned HD1 from B&H.....in this case some "trust" in the consumer would have possibly kept a consumer on their side and possibly repeat business.....Ohhh well, not every company can act like Canon- I think they have the BEST customer service anywhere!

If anything changes I'll post it here- but it looks as if this camera is going back in the next day or two!
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Trustee

HD1 was returned- awaiting the Sony FX1. I hate the thought of working with interlaced video- but the Sony's image quality is hard to dispute--- there's always deinterlacing!
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

For me, the reason the HD1 had to go was because it produced "smear" video much like regular DV. It was in hidef but I expected much more clarity. Apparantly 1280x720 was not enough but my BenQ 7800 says no, its the JVC.

The Sony FX1 shows the true nature of what can be obtained with HDV. No hard EE, all edges are clear and crisp, plus the 3 CCD adds 7 lux which is helpful indoors. I opted for the FX1 over the HC1 because of the lux capability. Plus I'm hearing some say the HC1 gets grainy in dark areas.
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Trustee

I noticed the HD1 blew out highlights rather easily- does the FX1 retain better highlight detail- or is it prone to highlight clipping as well?

Any user reviews of interest to read?
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Wrangler

Have you seen John Fordham's 2 part review right here at (H)DVinfo?

http://hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/fordham7.php
http://hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/fordham8.php

Of course there's a wealth of info if you just browse back through our own forum as well:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=75

Also have a look at DSE's site here:

http://www.vasst.com/?v=HDV/hdvportalnew.htm

If you go to the dv.com website you'll find Adam Wilt's reviews of the Z1 and FX1 (registration required)

Adam also has a lot of info on his site: http://adamwilt.com/HDV/

How's that for starters :-)
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #8
Trustee

Boyd, you're the best wrangler around- thanks a ton!!
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

And check out the entire www.hdvinfo.net site, as well, because there's more where Jon F's review came from! There's even a book from VASST (by DSE and Mark D.) that I reviewed:

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/training/dsehdvbook.php

heath
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #10
Trustee

You guys are great!
Not too many complaints on highlight clipping- seems to be more issues with movement (pans) and image breakup........

.....like they say, "There's no free lunch" we get better results in one area and lose it in another!

Thanks for the FX1 info and links- your efforts led to some serious reading on my part.
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #11
suspended -- contact admin

HD component out not working

Interestingly I now have the same problem with my camera that the HD component output is missing the red colors. Fortunately my camera is still under warranty and I strongly recommend the 4 year extended warranty coverage. The only other way to get HD out of the camera is through the firewire port. If your television does not have a firewire port you will need to firewire the footage to a D-VHS deck or hook up a computer or an AVel link player to your HDTV to view the footage. As much as I prefer progressive footage I would much rather have an interlaced camera that works than a progressive camera that is in the repair shop. The Sony HDV camera has a CF30 mode that outputs footage that looks good on a progressive monitor. HD ready televisions do not need any additional equipment to view HDV footage. Additional equipment is only required if you want to pick up digital HD broadcasting.
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #12
Trustee

Hmmm- has anyone been able to see HDV footage via their component video cable as supplied with the GR-HD1?

When I got my FX1- the first thing I did was go to my HDTV and connect the cables and check for correct colors and HDTV resolution. The FX1 worked perfectly- so I kept it......something was definitely wrong with my GR-HD1 or cable.....

.....good luck with your HD1.
Let us know what happens- I find this problem interesting!
Old September 5th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #13

Yes the component cable on the JVC HD-10 worked fine for displaying high definition footage that is until very recently when it suddenly failed to output red colors.. As a precaution it may be wise to turn both the television and the camcorder off before connecting the cables. Also check to see if the resolution output is set correctly.
Old September 5th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #14
Trustee

Well the cable looks to be a "custom" job. It looks like a mini VGA plug that has been soldered and shrink wrapped to each of the component connectors. If you're brave, you could always buy a 12" roll of shrink wrap tubing for 3 bucks and remove the current wrapping and check for a loose solder. You could always resolder and shrink again: this is what I was going to do- but i'm sure B&H would have not allowed me to return the camera if the cable appeared to have been "modified". BUT- if I had a perfectly working JVC HDV cam and I knew it USED to work- I'd suspect the cabling had a flaw and try to trace it down to the connection.
That cable is $47 if I remember correctly- you could always order another one- if it happens with the new cable- then you'd know it was a camera connecor issue.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM   #15

I had to buy a new component cable because the warranty covers the camera only and not the accesories. However I do have a 90 day warranty on my replacement cable. Now my camera works fine and displays all the colors in high definition. About the BenQ it seems that television was designed for Pal European markets that do not have readily available HD so they buy a television that upconverts standard definition to high definition. But in reality this is just a paint job so that is where you get your smearing. What you need to do is get a television that can display high definition natively. I have never seen smeared footage from my JVC HD10. The only time I saw smeared footage was when I hooked up my analog camcorder to a Sony HDTV that upconverts all signals to 1080i.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U