HD1 and HD10 discontinued? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 05:55 AM   #1
Major Player

HD1 and HD10 discontinued?

I've heard that they have stopped selling these?
Can I can some feedback with this cam, I have a HD100 and would like to use this as a B-cam and as a deck.
Thanks
Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Major Player

If they would have been smart and lowered the prices to what they should be worth ($1500 or below), then more people would have bought them!

Why would they stop selling them? Maybe because they weren't selling too well lately or they're planning to release newer HDV cameras to replace them. Happens all the time, I thought they stopped making them a while back but they still carry them at Fry's Electronics and some specialty stores. Websites had them listed too. If they stopped selling them, then there's no big loss. I don't think they would have been good for a B camera for the HD100 anyway, but as a deck they could have been useful if they worked with all the frame rates (ie. JVC's 24p HDV).
Old December 26th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis
But as a deck they could have been useful if they worked with all the frame rates (ie. JVC's 24p HDV).
They do work with 24p. Here's a section from my GY-HD100 Handbook:

Although 24P video cannot be viewed on these first generation
products, nor can the 24P signal be output from their analog ports, the
720p59.94 HDV carrying 24P is output from their FireWire ports. The
24P HDV can be captured by HDVxDV (www.hdvxdv.com) as 24P video.
(See Chapter 10 for information on working with 24P.)

You can also record, via FireWire, 720p59.94 HDV carrying 24P using
Apple’s DVHScap application.
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I wonder if this board's days are numbered. When should it head to the DV Info Net Archive?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old December 27th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I wonder if this board's days are numbered. When should it head to the DV Info Net Archive?
I'm shooting in India with the HD1 and it beats the interlace format Sony FX1/Z1 and HC1/A1 hands-down. Since there are about 10,000 thousand that will be sold on eBay, etc. as folks upgrade to the HD100, etc. -- it seems likely these new owners will want information.

After working with the HD100 and coming back to the HD1 -- I see no reason to stop shooting with the HD1. Of course, I know "how" to shoot with the HD1/HD10 and have zero interest in 24p -- so the light weight, small size, and one-touch AF are real advantages to me.

In fact, I'm re-writing my HD1/HD10 Shooting Guide -- included with the GY-HD100 HANDBBOK -- because I believe these now very low-cost camcorders can serve as a low-cost way entry into 720P HD.

They are perfect for student filmmakers who know they will not be converting video to film -- yet want a low temporal-rate PROGRESSIVE look.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; December 27th, 2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #6
Old Boot

Discounted JVC GR-PD1 -less than 1/2 price!

http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?cal...45&topcatid=10

Grazie
Old December 27th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #7
Trustee

"....the light weight, small size, and one-touch AF are real advantages to me.
.... because I believe these now very low-cost camcorders can serve as a low-cost way entry into 720P HD...."

I agree 100% with this comment. The low cost of little-used 2nd-hand units, plus their small size, put these cameras into quite a unique market sector for the next 6-12 months at least.
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #8
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling
"...put these cameras into quite a unique market sector for the next 6-12 months at least.
Even if we see a new low-cost version at CEA next week -- it may be the same camera but only a change to an 80GB harddisk. I'm not sure it would be worth spending money to simply replace MiniDV tape, which I can buy anywhere.

I just wish all those who have dumped on these little cameras for 2 years and rave about the Sony's really could compare color reproduction. I just keep being blown away how my video of India match the real color present here. I've been shooting here for over 20 years -- starting with film -- and the JVC is the only video camera I've owned that captures reds, yellows, and browns like film does.
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #9
Major Player

I for one hope this forum is not moved anywhere since these are still HDV cameras and therefore up to date with the most recent technology.

Having said that I can't really say I prefer the footage I've seen from the HD1 to that of the Sony HDV cams, FX1 and HC1. Sure, the JVC is true progressive but you can also obtain similar results on post with HC1 footage and you probably get less chroma noise and the ability to go 24p or 30p (fake, admitedly, but still an option).

Could you post some of that India footage you shot? Here's a couple of shots from HD1 clips I made after post. I'm very happy with them indeed but if given the choice of rebuying the camera today I'd most likely go for the HC1 instead... :)

http://www.geocities.com/headlesspuppy/stuff/hdvsd.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/headlesspup...dvseaworld.jpg
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:04 AM   #10
Major Player

This is the low down apparently, the JVC-HD1 HAS been superseded but...wait for it....the HD10! well thats what shops are telling me anyways, but I would probably wait til next week from CES to get a clearer picture.
I would still by this over a deck though because I would use this as a b-cam and use my hd100 as the main cam, and plus use this to capture! see more than one simple use for this camera!
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:21 AM   #11
Major Player

haha sorry for screwing up the last post, the HD1 has been superseded but to replace that model is the HD10
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #12
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
Could you post some of that India footage you shot?
After New Year's I'm going to capture the footage from Malaysia and India. I''ll ask Chris if he can host a few JPEGs as I won't be back in the USA until the end of Jan.
Old December 28th, 2005, 05:29 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi,

I have to agree with Steve Mullen.

>> I've been shooting here for over 20 years -- starting with film -- and the JVC >> is the only video camera I've owned that captures reds, yellows, and browns >> like film does.

Under overcast daylight conditions outdoors, I felt like the HD10 recorded colors that reminded me of the results we got shooting 16mm film years ago. I like the look and we used the camera for TV commercials, music videos and a DVD documentary.

Ed Hill
HighlyDef Productions, LLC
Atlanta, GA
ed@highlydef.com
Old December 29th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #14
Trustee

Well most of us here feel these little cams got an undeserved bad rap. "I heard that cam is crap, is there anywhere I can see some footage", is unfortunately the most common responce I get.
On the other side of the argument, what JVC did to the controls on this cam did nothing to help it gain acceptance. With no way to manually set 1/60 shutter with exposure control, JVC doomed many a user much un-needed frustration. Although they did provide a "Sports mode" that locked the shutter at 1/250th? for this light starved cam, yet the benefits of 1/60th seem to have been lost on the makers. Although these control deficiencies have forced me to elevate my understanding of lighting/filters, so it is not all bad. I often do feel like a JVC lab rat for HDV, being they have done little to nothing to support these cams with any form of firmware or a decent manual in the first place, and now with the HD100 and ProHD have completely abandoned these older cams and users. Thank God people like Steve Mullen took the time to figure things out and produce a user guide.

Steve- "In fact, I'm re-writing my HD1/HD10 Shooting Guide "

Good to hear. Will it contain any new insights/info, or is it just a re-issue?
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:23 AM   #15
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
Good to hear. Will it contain any new insights/info, or is it just a re-issue?
Amazingly, when I first wrote it I was trying to prevent ALL POSSIBLE problems which made it needelessly complex.

Now that I trust it, I've simplfied it a lot.

Also I was being defensive, Now that we know Sony's CMOS problems and CF24 mode and the HD100 SSE problems, I realize all low-cost HD camcorders will not be perfect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U