DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   More JVC HD10U magic bullet footage downloads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/60898-more-jvc-hd10u-magic-bullet-footage-downloads.html)

Erick von Schulz February 16th, 2006 10:10 PM

More JVC HD10U magic bullet footage downloads

I shot these using a Nikon 85mm F1.8 and a Nikon 135mm 2.8 lens..

magic bullet color correcting only. No 24p Conversion..

I shot it at 720 30p... Shutter 1/30'th
Fstop on lenses opened all the way.....

I then converted them to WMV files then downconverted those files to the followoing Divx files.....

Both examples can be played with any Divx player and they can aslo be played on any DVD player capable of Divx playback...

render times with the magic bullet effect on at 720 p converted to WMV file was about 30 minutes per minute.. much better then the old days of 6-10 hours per minute..

85mm BW lenst test

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...be5249a73fcd3d

135mm Magic bullet
http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...4935063f512f2b

Let me know waht you think of the footage.. Pretty filmatic looking for a one chip HD camera... I kep wanting to sell it but dang it gives such great results I can't stand to part with it.. I just have to admit it.. I love my little JVC HD10U camera....

Of course I will love my HD100 even more..... Once I get it....

Ken Hodson February 19th, 2006 05:04 PM

Hi Erick, thanks for sharing your experimentation.
After checking out redrocks site I noticed the HD10 was not listed. What additional eqipment did you need to adopt it(if any) and if you don't mind, what was your price for that setup lens not included.
Thanks

Scott Frase February 21st, 2006 04:19 PM

nice!

Hey Erick,
Couldn't agree with you more. You just need to spend some time and tender loving care with the HD10 and you can get some really nice footage out of it. Speaking of which, I enjoyed your two little compositions. It didn't look like the HD10s normal output. It's great to be able to augment the capabilities of the 10. I would like to see these on an HD monitor. How do they look on one of those? I liked the piano music, too.

What were the ring sizes on those lenses? I assume not the HD10's standard 52mm..you must have used an adapter?

By the way, that FileFactory link spams you with popups if you don't have your popup blocker on. Yeesh. Get yourself a cheap website or set one up with a Linux box on your cable connection with a dynamic dns entry.

good stuff!
scott

Erick von Schulz February 21st, 2006 11:43 PM

HD10 camera

I used Nikon Lenses with the M2 adapter.. I then added a film look to them... The only thing that sucks with the HD10 is taht you can only control the Shutter speed or the Iris. but not both....

I think you are right about setting up a linux box.. I actually have an extra computer in the garage.. So I thihnk I may just convert it over.. If you know of any sites that tell me how to set it up to serve files. Let me know... I am not too Linux Suavey.....

The images on an HD TV are incredible.. If you have a Divx compatible player you can watch these files on your HD TV... But the full uncompressed files are so incredible looking. My friends were blown away on my 55 inch HD set...

I also like the Piano music. I got it from some royalty free cd's off of ebay for 125.00 for four cd's... I think they are called Theatrax..... They have lots of cool sounding stuff...

Erick von Schulz February 21st, 2006 11:49 PM

Redrock Micro setup

The redrock Micro is easy to setup for the HD10u.. You just need to buy the shims that are an extra 15.00 I think.. I got the Indie film pacakge with a few extra adapters.. I think the total came to 1050.00 with shipping included... The best 1000.00 i ever spent.. It will catapult your looks from average to cinematic.. You just need to light it correctly and buy a few 1.4 or 1.8 f stop lenses.. I recomend the fastes F stop lenses you can afford.. I got a 50mm 1.4 off Ebay for 49.00 and a 55mm F1.2 for 199.00. The 1.2 cost over 1000.00 new... I also got a Niko 85mm F1.8 for 249.00..
Get Manual Focus lenses.. Do not get Auto Focus ones..

You can also go with Canon or Pentax..... But get Low F stops as well.. Anything below F 2.0..

2.8 is fine for zooms. but the low f stops is what gets you the bokeh effect which blurs out the background.. I hope this helps.. If money is tight.. Get the Letus35a.. It gives great Results as well...

Scott Frase February 22nd, 2006 02:00 PM

interesting..

Erick,
Thanks for the providing the details there. I'd love to see the footage in "true" HD. I checked out Redrock's site (http://www.redrockmicro.com/). Seems like a nice piece of work from the results I see and may definetly be worth that $1000! One question: when you say in your first post today that "I added a film look to them," what do you mean?

Also, great info on the lenses. I am a bit beyond the beginning stage with the HD10 and have been doing more flower/landscape type of videography, but haven't shot many people up close. I think that's where the 10 shines..the ability to capture the nuance/shapes/shadows of a closely shot face bathed in the right light. I just need to get to play more and experiment with people and lighting.

The unfortunate thing is that my HD10 just conked out..it'll play video from tape, but when I try to record, all I get is a black screen with the "Lens Cap" message. The lens cap is off, of course. It's at JVC right now, so hopefully it comes back soon. :(

I've got a Linux box up and running and I tell you, it is a wonderful thing to be able to throw files up on it and not have to worry about using up space like you would have to with an account from an ISP. I use Red Hat's Fedora Core 4 currently. The install from CD is pretty easy once you do it once or twice:
http://fedora.redhat.com/

Web server selection is right there in the application configuration section. Here is a FAQ to get you started:
http://www.fedorafaq.org/

If you're a cable customer with Internet, once you have the server setup, just use http://www.dyndns.org to attach a domain name to your dynamic IP address and you're good to go!

Finally, if you need help setting the box up, I can talk to you offline via phone or Skype.
scott

Erick von Schulz February 22nd, 2006 06:39 PM

linux setup

Thanks for the info on Linux.. By film look I mean I added a magic bullet color preset which gives video a more film like look. I did not convert to 24p.. I just left the footage at 30P and only added a color effect...

Once I set up Linux.. If I have any questions I will send you an email.. thanks....

I know waht the problem with you JVC is.. It is a Loose connecter to you CCD's.... It is a common problem.. If you shke the camera sometimes you can get it to work.. I sent my camera off once for the same problem and they fixed it in about three weeks... Some people ahve sent their cameras in out of warranty and have had them fixed for free.... Even if you get charged 150.00 it is worth having it fixed.. you can send it to them and they can get it back to like new condition.. Ask them what they would charge if that is your problem..... maybe they will give you a deal.. tell them you love their product. and you are a starving student and have a project coming up..Get them on your side.. maybe that will help.. you never know.. The folks at JVC are very helpful..

Scott Frase March 8th, 2006 04:28 PM

what do you know!

Hey Erick,
Got a call from the JVC shop today and they said they were fixing the cam for free! I was shocked! I will let you know for sure when I get it back.

very promising!
scott

Scott Frase March 13th, 2006 08:45 AM

CCD base assembly repaired for free!

Hey Erick,
Got the lowdown on the problem with my cam. JVC said it was the "CCD base assembly" and that they fixed it for free! Going to pick it up today or tomorrow!

:)
scott

Erick von Schulz March 13th, 2006 12:31 PM

JVC Repair

I told you JVC might fix it for free.. They are great about that kind of thing.. They really back their products..... The JVC repair center is top notch and everyone over there is great....

I figured that was the problem.. For some reason that always comes loose.. HAve fun shooting with the camera.. I know it is getting dated with all these new cameras coming out. but it shoots such great images. I am going to keep mine when I buy a new camera...

I really want the HVX200 but I would need to update nothing computer wise if I get the HD100u... Decisions decisions...... It's a hard life living like a pimp....

Ken Hodson March 13th, 2006 07:08 PM

What would make you prefer the HVX over the HD100?

Erick von Schulz March 13th, 2006 11:07 PM

I really like the HVX200 for it's 4:2:2 color space... THe HD100 has 4:2:0.. The hvx200 has variable frame rates including great slow motion.. But this is my big issue.. With the HD100 it is using the HDv format which I can do in real time... The HVX200 has a product called Raylight by dvfilm that is supposed to make it real time with any editor.. But I am having audio issues with it... I think it will be a few more months before the industry catches up with the HVX200... It is just a little ahead of it's time.. I think it is a far better camera then the HD100.. But I love the fact that the JVC is 24p and can capture onto a tape with the HDV format....

If the HVX200 had a hard drive capture device that was out and under 1500.00.. I would buy it... I just don't want to spend a ton of money to be able to edit it..

I have Adobe Premiere Pro with Cineform for capturing HDV and editing in real time..

Hopefully cineform comes out with an MXF file realtime edit solution.. Then my life will be complete...

So the answer is.. I prefer the HVX200 but with the add ons and other things that are needed by me.. It would cost an extra 5000 or so compared to the HD100...

I have compared the footage of both cameras and I think the HVX200 has a better image for my needs. It seems more filmlike then the HD100... Just my opinion.. But in fairness I did not have alot of time to put the Hd100 through it's paces.. I had more time with the HVX200.. So hopefully that helped..

It all comes down to personal preference...

Erick von Schulz March 13th, 2006 11:08 PM

HVX200 vs Hd100

oops.. Some reason this poste dtwice....

Ken Hodson March 14th, 2006 01:29 AM

Fair enough, good points.
I personaly would disagree with the 4:2:2/4:2:0 color space comparison as the Pana only records to 960x720 @ 720p and is up sampling even at that resolution. One has to ask how much real colour information is really captured. Yes the HD100 captures 4:2:0 at 1280x720 but it is actually capturing that resolution. As a popular video writer recently put it: " if I capture VHS to 1080p is it suddenly 1980x1080 4:4:4?"
Just my point that in comparison, the HVX is in no way 4:2:2 in comparison to the HD100. Yes that is the spec of the codec, but that is not how the real world numbers play out.
A better comparison would be: HVX 540 TV lines resolution at 4:2:2 or the HD100 700+ TV lines at 4:2:0. These are the real world rez chart test numbers.
HD100 removable lens. Enough said. I thought you would have been all over that one, being your our resident lens adaptor guru ;>)

I'm glad you compared the two. Personal preferance does count for a lot.

Erick von Schulz March 14th, 2006 03:09 AM

HVX200 vs HD100

Good points... I have seen those tests as well.. But I have actual footage from both cameras and the HVX200 always seems to look better no matter what... All of my HD100 footage looks more video like... All of my tests with these two cameras did not involve the 35mm adapters..

When I film look and color correct the HVX footage.. the color holds up alot better then the HD100 footage does.... I can simulate the film look much better witht eh HVX200 then the HD100....

I may need to get an HD100 again and test the heck out of it.. It may have been the settings I had it at... What are your experiences with the cameras?

Also audio is a big issue for me and the HVX wins hands down in that department.... I think that is my only real trepidation on the HD100.... It records 384kbs mpeg audio....