Various posts concerning GR-HD1U and JY-HD10U - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 25th, 2003, 10:55 PM   #91
Outer Circle

'Sound & Vision' article

Sound & Vision has an article on the 10U. I didn't read the whole article nor did I purchase the magazine. However, I read that the playback lines are 425 in DV, and that in HD mode it records 550 lines to tape. The author of the article is David Ranada. (That can't be a real name.) I just thought I'd mention this.
Old July 26th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #92
New Boot

GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

I am reading about these and i just have a lot of questions about this, so i'd really appreciate it if someone who owns one or has worked with one would instant message me some time, my screen name is "PARDON ME QUEEN" so i could ask them a few questions about this camera.
Old July 28th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #93
MPS Digital Studios

Re: GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Kelly : I am reading about these and i just have a lot of questions about this, so i'd really appreciate it if someone who owns one or has worked with one would instant message me some time, my screen name is "PARDON ME QUEEN" so i could ask them a few questions about this camera. -->>>

If you surf around the board, you will find that a lot of questions will be answered. If you don't find them, post them up and we'll answer them, that way others can learn, too.

heath
Old July 28th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #94

When are the new models coming?

When are the 3 chip consumer mpeg2 HD cams coming?

Old July 29th, 2003, 02:53 AM   #95
Outer Circle

When you find out, let us know. :) I doubt any time soon, unless that recent GL2 rebate means something new is coming. Whether it'll be a MPEG2 HD 3-CCD model or something along the lines of a PDX/953 with a 16:9 option, we'll just have to wait and see. Perhaps JVC has something up their sleeves with the recent price drop of their Streamcorder. Why worry? At least 1-chip HD is here today.
Old July 31st, 2003, 02:18 PM   #96
MPS Digital Studios

Warranties

Every now and then someone mentions they bought an extended warranty for $150 for the HD10. Where did you all buy it from and who handles the warranty? Mack Camera?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

heath
Old August 1st, 2003, 01:46 PM   #97
Regular Crew

Yes the B&H Warranty is through MACK.
Old August 1st, 2003, 02:14 PM   #98
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Randall Morton : Yes the B&H Warranty is through MACK. -->>>

Thanks!

heath
Old August 4th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #99
Trustee

JVC GY DV700WUCL Question

Does anyone here have experience with this "Cineline" camera? It isn' progressive scan, HD or 24p and yet JVC totes this baby as having the best resolution for film blowups. I would love to hear from people who have hands on experience with this camera or can at least shed some light. My interest is piqued and I might buy one!
Old August 4th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #100
Obstreperous Rex

It records in the standard-definition DV format on full size or Mini-DV cassettes, but it does have 2/3" CCD's which are native 16x9.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #101
Regular Crew

DV Football Documentary ( THE LAST GAME )

At the risk of appearing, I don't know- like a shameless self-promoter,
I just thought this community might like to hear about a DV movie
that just got 4 stars from USA TODAY and was called
"the HOOP DREAMS of high school football."

I made it with an XL1, at frame movie mode,
and it turned out great.

Nationwide BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO release in January,
or, you can get it (and the reviews and a TRAILER on quicktime)

at

www.TheLastGame.com

Thanks!

T. Patrick Murray
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:42 AM   #102
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...none of the links work on the page.
Old August 7th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #103
Regular Crew

John

Thanks for the news about the site-

We just had a new one put up...

We will fix it today!

Thanks

"The HOOP DREAMS of football..."

USA TODAY (Mike Clark) FOUR STARS
Old August 13th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #104
Major Player

My first encounter with the JVC JY-HD1U

I went to B&H and saw the JVC HD1 for the first time (never saw an HD10, by the way.) I wasn’t gonna go at first, cause the B&H people said they didn’t even have the camera hooked up to an HD monitor. (never mind the fact that their HDTVs were some twenty feet behind the camera.) Anyway, I stopped in B&H regardless, and saw the HD1 there. I could only look at the image through the camera’s LCD screen, which didn’t really tell me much except for the fact that the camera was obviously true 16:9 and working in progressive mode. So I moved on, and scanned over the cameras that were hooked up to professional monitors, mainly the other prosumer cameras. I gotta say, that PDX10 is sweet, nice image from a strikingly small camera. Then I looked at the DVX100 again, and I was mesmerized by the 24p image coming through the monitor, yup, looks comparable to 16mm, except the whites blowout easier then 16mm. In any case, the DVX100 is definitely king of the prosumer cam hill. So it was time to leave B&H, and low and behold, in a wall mounted glass display, they had the JVC HD1 hooked up to an HDTV LCD screen. The first thing I thought when I saw the image is, “Man! My skin is f@cked up!” I never knew I had so many pock marks and pimples until I saw my face through the JVC HD1 via an HDTV monitor. An old man with slick gray hair even stood in front of me for a bit and I couldn’t believe how fine his hairs were coming through the monitor. (He probably had no idea that a stranger would be looking at his hair roots that day) No question about it, the JVC HD1 is High Def. Now, what I didn’t like, and maybe it was just the HDTV LCD screen itself, was how bad the highlights were blowing out. I gotta say, from what I saw, I didn’t like it. The dynamic range/latitude of this camera looked so bad that it reminded me of those old VHS camcorders, except this VHS like camcorder has High Definition, weird. But, like I said, some of the blown out highlights COULD have been due to the HDTV LCD screen. I don’t like LCD screens at all, by the way, because they do tend to crush blacks and blow out highlights all by themselves. So my conclusion is that I still need to see the JVC HD10 (not the 1) on a CRT HDTV monitor. Also, I believe the HD1 has excessive over sharpening, but if what I saw was just like the HD10, then all those JVC HD Cam people better invest in a good make up artist and A LOT of Black Flags.
Old August 13th, 2003, 08:04 PM   #105
Regular Crew

"and maybe it was just the HDTV LCD screen itself, was how bad the highlights were blowing out. I gotta say, from what I saw, I didn’t like it. The dynamic range/latitude of this camera"

I agree, that there is a tendency to blow out highlights.

One thing I did notice though, is that this effect is hugely affected by the device you view the image on. Through the vlan player on my computer's lcd, a lot of detail completely washed out in the highlights. However, when viewing the same clip on my HDTV, the effect was much more subtle, even closing in on the margin of being acceptable.

From my experience with the camera, the 3 things you really have to watch and control carefully are focus (the AF is useless), exposure and white balance. All 3 can really be hit or miss and produce massive variances on final image quality- they can be wildly beautiful or downright awful.

General rule of thumb- it is better to slightly underexpose then slightly overexpose.

Experience and patience are probably the 2 best qualities to posess when using this camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U