Various posts concerning GR-HD1U and JY-HD10U - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old August 14th, 2003, 03:24 AM   #106
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Hyun :

General rule of thumb- it is better to slightly underexpose then slightly overexpose.

Experience and patience are probably the 2 best qualities to posess when using this camera. -->>>

It's funny how exactly opposite this is to shooting film where you can overexpose by several stops without worrying too much and spend the whole day doing run-and-gun shooting with good results. Video, the supposedly more convenient format, requires painstaking control of the lighting and contrast ratios and a lot more setup time in general.

Of course, you get to see the results immediately and you can do 30 takes if you want without worrying too much about how much the media is costing you.

I'm practically counting the days until the next CES. ;-)
Old August 18th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #107
Outer Circle

JVC 1-chip MPEG2 HD cam on display in Vancouver

The JVC HD cam is on display at FutureShop on Broadway (Vancouver) - it will be there until the 23rd of August. ---Arseniy
Old August 20th, 2003, 10:09 AM   #108
Major Player

HD10 and Camera Movement

So how would the HD10 fair with dolly and jib movement? Would it be a problem?
Old August 20th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #109
Major Player

Personnaly, I used quite a bit of dolly and crane movements with the camera and it holds up very well, pretty much like a miniDV camera. No compression noise seems to appear. Ideally you should keep your shutter at 1/30 or 1/60.

Eric
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Old August 21st, 2003, 10:47 AM   #110
New Boot

Converting 30p to 25p

Just thinking out loud, but if the HD1 and HD10 encode their HD MPEG using a 6 GOP structure, then it might be fairly easy to convert 30p to 25p by simply reducing the GOP structure to 5 GOP and recalculating the B and P frames from the 5 original I frames per second?

I dont know the original structure but you could go from say 5 of these per sec:

IBBPBB

which give 30fps, to 5 of these per sec

IBBPB

which would give 25fps.

I haven't written an MPEG encoder before, so if this is nonsense let me down nicely :)
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:24 PM   #111
Major Player

Well, it's an interresting suggestion, I think there is a chance that it would do only a drop frame each 6 frames but it's worth the try...

"If you don't intend to try, you might as well not think about it..." Laurient de Medicis

Eric
info@fictis.net
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:51 PM   #112
New Boot

Dropping a frame per GOP was my first thought for a solution Eric, but I was actually trying to avoid doing that as just dropping a frame would mean a slightly larger temporal gap between two particular frames in every GOP. I was trying to propose a method that would yield smooth motion and maintain temporal integrity between frames (i.e. by recalculating the B and P frames).

I've no idea if it's feasible though?
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:32 AM   #113
Trustee

Frame interpolation using Morphing

Does anyone remember the old Michael Jackson music video, Black or White, which was one of the first examples to use morphing technology?

Couldn't this sort of thing be used to interpolate frames in video for conversion to/from 24, 30, 60, etc?
Old August 24th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #114
Major Player

HD1 vs HD10 detail enhancement

I have a freeze frame comparison of HD1 to 10 with same subject material (jpg). could someone post it? It's pretty representative of several clips I took while evaluating the cameras at Industrial Video here in Cleveland area. These are crops (no resampling). Everything was auto, so exposure varied somewhat. After reviewing several clips I thought the HD10 might have a slightly lower auto exposure.

Also, while preparing the clips I noticed notches in the histograms of the shots from both cameras. Anybody else seen this? It's like there are certain brightness levels missing - all evenly spaced. I can't really see anything in the picture that I think is a result of this.

I bought the HD10!
Old August 24th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #115
Trustee

I don't see why not. But it would be a huge job unless it was automated, and then it would take serious time. It may be worth it to do that at specific moments when the pull down process leaves a noticable "jerk"
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:41 AM   #116
Major Player

incoming tests between the JVC and the two 24p SD Panas

Most people posting in these threads have an intention of using the camera and want to know about it's plusses and minusses. Gather information and make a choice. Not all of them will use the machine in HD in the end (though they may shoot HD). Let's not forget this machine has a very interresting SD 60p, for people making indie DV movies this rocks because you can do incredible progressive slo-mo's. Of course it's the first step to affordable HD, witch means that most of us will have to update all of their gear to take full advantage of the beast, this is a major concern. But still this camera packs an incredible definition when down-converted to SD so it might be usefull for a lot of people.

I will be doing comparative tests between the HD10u, and both the pannasonics DVX-100 and the new SDX900 for the feature film "Pure". I will make a thorough review of that in the comming week. I might as well make editing tests with a Pinnacle Cinewave for HD editing, (depending on availability).

Eric
info@fictis.net
Old August 25th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #117
Major Player

Sounds good, looking forward to it.
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #118
Regular Crew

I know a great program for that!!

I know a great program for that:
It is called Twixtor, and it does great slowmotion and frame conversions http://www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor.htm
I have used this software for a long time now, and it is great!
- And Twixtor Pro can do HD aswell!! -
/John Eriksson
Old August 29th, 2003, 05:54 AM   #119
Regular Crew

IS the SD-mode going to give me slowmotion, if I want to?

Can I get a smooth 24fps slowmotion by shooting in the SD mode? I mean because of itīs high framrate (60fps)?
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #120
Regular Crew

MTV Video Music Awards FILM LOOK

I wrote this question on the wrong thread, so I re-ask it here:

The MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS (re-running on MTV all the time)
were the FIRST time I have seen a broadcast (live) that looked
unmistakably and unbelievably like film...

Since it was live, we know it was video.

Was it 24p HD?

I don't think this is a casual issue- I think it's REVOLUTIONARY.

Sure, STAR WARS proved HD can look like film years ago,
but I was startled to realize that the entire future of broadcasting-

from TV news to sitcoms to meaningless awards shows-

will not only be in HD,
but with a wonderful 16mm slightly grainy wonderful look.

It's funny- some Kodak filmstocks look so sharp now (the low speed ones)
that sometimes it can look flat and video like.

And now the cutting edge of video (HD) employs progressive scan (and whatever other enabling technology) AND LOOKS MORE LIKE FILM than some filmstocks themselves!

Anyway- DOES ANYONE KNOW what cameras were used for the MTV show?

The reason? We will all be able to afford such a camera in a few years.

Until then, I am happy with my HD10u.

T. Patrick Murray

"The HOOP DREAMS of football..."

USA TODAY (Mike Clark) FOUR STARS

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U