DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   Glad to be aboard (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/6895-glad-aboard.html)

Steve Mullen February 13th, 2003 06:59 PM

Glad to be aboard

Thank you for Chris for your warm welcome.

While this board will be about the new JVC products (the are essentially identical) -- it looks likely they will be joined by products from Sony, Panasonic, and perhaps Hitachi. These will be consumer products because they are designed for the Japan and USA HDTV market. Of course, that doesn't mean the "pro" division won't get a version just like JVC.

I expect the real pro versions will not surface till NAB 204. In short it will work like DV. The VX1000 came first.

One question for all of you. Do you have an HDTV? Why would you use HD?

Ken Tanaka February 13th, 2003 07:40 PM

Welcome Steve!

HD is certainly the future of video technology, both for the professional and the consumer.

From my personal vantage, however, I do not have any HD-compatible equipment and have no immediate plans to get any for at least 2-3 years. I watch relatively few broadcast programs beyond films on IFC and TCM. The news and financial programs I watch would not be enhanced in any way by a higher display resolution. (Content-enhancement, yes. Display-enhancement, no.) Certainly, when I replace our home sets I will probably do so with HD in mind. But there is no hurry.

Ditto on the professional monitor front. It's very interesting but just not very attractive to me at this time.

Ken Freed JVC February 14th, 2003 11:11 AM

We don't see this as "production"

We see this as pushing HD in the home. Production is another matter and many may be disappointed in not at first having various production attachments for the camera.

D-VHS is primarily a house-hold playback format for Hollywood releases. The MPEG-2 TS is very good at high image quality in small data streams. So a HD movie for Home Theater is now an economical reality. And a home theater with D-VHS and a DILA projector is the highest image level available.

The Consumer HD camcorder is for those who already have D-VHS in their homes, there are more every month. It is interesting that some think that since D-VHS is tape it can't succeed (and in fact some hope it won't). But it is already a success because of the Hollywood content.

True HD in the home on a $1000 VCR. And now an HD camcorder for those home theater owners.

That's what this is for.

Tom Voigt February 14th, 2003 11:29 AM

Capture for Low-End DVD Production

I shoot low-budget theatricals and produce DVD-Rs for my clients.

My interest in the new JVC HD cam is the belief that sourcing in HD will increase the quality of the DVDs I produce for playback primarily on standard def TVs.

Am I right on this? What is the interaction between source, DVD, and playback? Does higher-quality capture feed thru the entire chain?

By Christmas 2004 I expect 60" OLED flat-panels for $1500 to be all the rage. I know that miniDV projected at 5 foot or greater starts to show all kinds of compression artifacts and unsharpness.