DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   Info needed, owners of GY-DV300/301 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/8237-info-needed-owners-gy-dv300-301-a.html)

Yik Kuen March 31st, 2003 10:19 PM

Info needed, owners of GY-DV300/301

Does this cam come with a lens cover?

How to operate it on a tripod?

Does it have LANC?

David Mintzer March 31st, 2003 10:32 PM

All decent cameras have a lens cover---you must mean a lens hood? All decent cameras mount on a tripod through either a plate or directly into the bottom of the camera

Yik Kuen March 31st, 2003 11:48 PM

Hi David,

Thank you.

I know that the DV300 comes with a fixed lens hood. I'm just wondering, from the User Manual, it's not mentioned that they include a lens cover.

Products from other companies like Sony and Panasonic usually specify the included accessories in their User Guides. But for this model from JVC, all they mentioned is a charger, a battery and the manual. It's pretty weird.

I've checked, JVC doesn't not sell the cover separately as an optional accessory.

On the other hand, it does not come with a remote nor a wireless control unit. Both Sony and Canon have LANC input for remote control function. Does this cam (JVC) has this feature?

Chris Hurd April 1st, 2003 06:49 AM

LANC will not be found on any JVC camcorder (they do not have a license to use this Sony technology as Canon does). However, VariZoom Lens Controls is developing a controller for the DV300. From their recent NAB press release:

"VZ-StealthJVC Stealth JVC (For JVC 300-REM) In a joint venture with JVC VariZoom created this control for the NEW DV300-REM Streamcorder. If you already have a Streamcorder and you want to have studio control you will need to arrange to have your camera shipped to JVC to be flashed with new compatible software. This is estimated to cost $200. including roundtrip shipping and hardware. The REM version of this camera is not shipping yet but will include the compatible VariZoom software."

Hope this helps,

David Mintzer April 1st, 2003 07:43 AM

I would assume that it has a lens cap---I wouldn't worry about that---

Yik Kuen April 1st, 2003 07:53 AM

Hi Chris,

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Seems like, it wouldn't be wise to purchase this cam at the moment.

Does the REM model requires additional components to be added on to the cam? Or, only by just flashing the firmware?

Is there any difference btw 300 and 301 other than DV in?

This is the most rarely talk-about cam. How's the video quality, is it close to AG-DVX100 or PD-150?

I like the additional configurability this cam provide.

Please advise, thank you.

Chris Hurd April 1st, 2003 09:40 AM

<< Does the REM model requires additional components to be added on to the cam? >>

Well, the controller package will be two separate components. One is the controller itself, and the other is the camera interface which will attach to the bottom of the DV300 just like the MPEG network module does now.

<< Is there any difference btw 300 and 301 other than DV in? >.

I'm not sure.

<< How's the video quality, is it close to AG-DVX100 or PD-150? >>

The DV300 has a 12-bit DSP, the best in its class. It produces a superb image. Hope this helps,

Yik Kuen April 2nd, 2003 06:47 PM

Got my DV301E yesterday. Not overhyped, this cam really produces great images. The configurability is very pro-like, giving two cam preset modes, 3 White balance memory.

The ability to adjust black detail is simply amazing.

The video quality is as clean as PD-150.

Color is vivid and slightly warm.

Great, and I wonder why this cam is not popular?

Joe Carney April 3rd, 2003 10:09 AM

They got overshadowed by the new DVX100 with it's progressive features. Plus the 300/1 has very slow autozoom. Other than that, for the price (well under 3K here in the states) its a superior alternative to the GL2 and vx2000 for professional work.
And the color is much better than than the pd150 or Xl1s.
I've been to a DV shootout between them. It's ability to handle crosshatch ,stripes , plaids and polka dots is very nearly like DV50/D9/DVCPRO50 video.

I wanted to get a PAL DV301E but they are priced as high as the PAL DVX100 it seems(at least from Singapore sources). The ntsc model regularily goes for around 2500 US without the streaming attachment. Best price available from one of DVInfos' sponsers (Pro Tape I think).

Yik Kuen April 3rd, 2003 06:35 PM

You are right Joe. They have the same price tag here, and I nearly get the DVX100.

Are you saying about the auto focus? Yes, it's slightly slower comparing to Sony cams. But with proper tweaking, you can really get outstanding picture quality.

Sony's got more robust recording with DVCAM. I miss that.