JVC HDcam offers "true" 16:9 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old April 5th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #16
Outer Circle

Steve, sorry, but what I get is mainly NTSC 4:3, with a few shows that are cropped. I'm not going to spend a year's salary on something that is niche---especially on a 1 chip MPEG2 cam. HD is not here yet for the masses, and besides, content sucks these days.
Old April 15th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #17
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : Steve, sorry, but what I get is mainly NTSC 4:3, with a few shows that are cropped. I'm not going to spend a year's salary on something that is niche---especially on a 1 chip MPEG2 cam. HD is not here yet for the masses, and besides, content sucks these days. -->>>

I believe your Rogers cable carries HD. If so, you can get HD.

But, it's possible Canada will go the way of Europe and stay with NTSC/PAL.
Old April 15th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #18
Outer Circle

Actually, SHAW Cable bought out Roger's here some time ago. Also, I think you can get HD via satelite. But getting the HD stuff is VERY EXPENSIVE WITH POOR CONTENT - no better than "regular TV." Unless content improves, I'll stick with basic cable to watch the puppet heads on CNN, although I prefer the CBC.
Old April 15th, 2003, 04:53 PM   #19
Trustee

HD has been legislated by Big Brother. Canada has about the same services in the larger population centers.

You cross the border and the only difference is the beer gets stronger, the money looks funny and we say Eh a lot. We get all of the US networks and in every major market area as well as specialty and home grown TV.

Frank still uses a coat hanger for a TV antenna and runs windows 3.1 on his puter. Rumour is it's a 386.

(Frank and I were friends until this little blurb)
I love ya Frank

My opinion is that I haven't really used all of the capabilities of my VX2K. On an HD ready TV good mini DV footage looks stunning.

In a few years when a system is standardized and good cameras , decks and commonly accepted media is available Ill migrate. But not until. all of the arguing and dreamin in the world will not change my mind.

If I had listen to all of the "now' trends that have been published on the various DV threads i'd be a poor man by now. I recall a highly vocal supports of the 24 P revolution selling his XL1S's and buying the first of the DVX100's. He sold them within the first month.

Look to the future but concentrate on what's available now, otherwise you'll do nothing but dream and no video will ever be recorded.

"If you seriously plan to work in HD -- or even SD -- you need to make some investments. Like an HDTV. A D-VHS deck or Blu-ray DVD recorder to make HD DVDs."

"For the consumer, they've got the HDTV and maybe a D-VHS deck."

These statements are the opinions of a few, the minority of the population that are driven to buy what technology offers, the minute it is released and whether or not it a standardized product. This doesn't mean I have to accept what they tell me.
Old April 15th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #20
New Boot

<<But let's say you were taking a week long sailing vacation. Would you really want to shoot anything but HD if you have an HDTV?>>

If the picture quality looked as bad as what I saw at NAB, then yes, I would rather shoot in high quality DV or progressive DV than shoot with the JVC cam! But like you said in an earlier post, it's only a "work in progress" model...So I won't pass judgement on the camera yet. I just hope they improve it because so far, in my humble opinion, it's a disapointement.
Old April 18th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #21
Outer Circle

Here's something from left field but interesting:

David Mullen wrote:

"Since the government legislated switch to HDTV programming and broadcast

Could someone else confirm this? I always thought that the government mandated a switch to DTV, not HDTV, of which broadcasters had the option of using the extra bandwidth given to them for more SD channels or for fewer HD channels."

Bruce A. Johnson responds:

"Exactly correct. There is NO government mandate for hi-def, just digital over-the-air broadcast. and cable and satellite companies aren't even required to do that.

Standard def is here for the long haul. HD may be nice-looking, but it isn't going to be the standard in broadcasting or reception for easily a decade and probably longer.

BAJ"
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #22
New Boot

How are David and Stve Mullen related?
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

They both work in video, that's about the extent. I've met both of them and believe me, there's not much physical resemblance!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 19th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #24
New Boot

David is 1/2 Japanese. I heard he's Steve's son or is somehow else related.

NTSC is getting converted to DTV which is either SDTV or HDTV. No one makes SDTV sets; they are all HDTV ready -- and become HDTV sets with the addition of a digital tuner, sold separately. HDTV is being introduced a lot faster than people reaize. Go to FCC.gov and search HDTV.
Old April 19th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #25
Warden

If I remember my history correctly the original mandate was for HDTV, but before a standard could be agreed upon DTV snuck up on the industry and regulating bodies. DTV was agreed upon as an intermediate step. However, people lost interest in HDTV and DTV will be it for a while, as Steve says. HDTV is certainly coming but without the full force of a legislative mandate.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 21st, 2003, 02:38 PM   #26
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Bell : David is 1/2 Japanese. I heard he's Steve's son or is somehow else related. -->>>

It would be a huge surprise to me if David were my son. And, a big surprize to David's mother -- and real father.

It is true there is no legal mandate for HDTV -- only DTV. However, at an earlier time Congess claims it believed it was moving HDTV forward.

But it history doesn't matter now. The programs that make sense to be in HD are mostly already in HD. (Except for FOX -- but, 35mm/24pHD sent as 480p60 looks very good.) It turns out we didn't need the government to push HD.

And even without Must Carry, many cable companies are carrying HD OTA plus HBO and Showtime. The big deal now is getting cable to carry Discover, ESPN, National Geo, and HDnet. And that's purely an matter of negotiations -- not a technical issue.

I think this fall we will see most all prime-time to be HD. Plus HD On-Demand is coming plus PayperView HD.

Since there is no legal requirement HD, of course it can't be a "standard" but it will be the "norm" for all major networks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U