DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   The JVC camcorder is a step in right direction (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/8816-jvc-camcorder-step-right-direction.html)

Joseph George April 20th, 2003 07:50 PM

The JVC camcorder is a step in right direction

The JVC HD camcorder is one of the new products and formats that are being introduced this year and that will revolutionize video production.

I’ve been posting latest HD news under different names. I was actually hired to stir up controversy around certain product and then around HD to boost overall awareness and break prejudices. While out of town, without notes on my screen names/passwords, my girlfriend and I posted some of the stuff I wrote (or dictated) under different names.

I attempted to get rid of some of the misinformation -- that there is no need to shoot in HD, that SD will be with us for a very long time and that SD content is not dated. That misinformation makes you buy SD now, only to have to replace it later with HD.

HDTV set prices will continue to be rapidly dropping; there will be more and more HD broadcast on cable; many HD DVD titles will become available at your local Blockbusters within a year; you’ll soon be able to author HD DVDs. The days of SD are numbered. The manufacturers need this to happen. Great majority of them are losing money, but all have very healthy margins on HD products.

To increase longevity of the content you produce, you should make every attempt to do so in HD. If you can’t, do it at least in the highest resolution that you can (cameras with native 16:9 CCDs, progressive scan, 4:2:2, etc.).

There is new display technology that will be introduced in about a year that will bring the cost of flat screens significantly down. (Sony holds the most patents on it.)

From now on I will be posting only under my name but as of now I’m no longer involved with this project so my posts will only be personal and will be infrequent.

Joseph George May 9th, 2003 02:58 AM

Certain company had certain modifications plans for that camera. It all ended when it became clear what the camera is and the modifications would be worthless and they got a hint from Japan of a planned blu-ray HD DVD camera. The 35 Lux rating made them fully abandon their plans. Then the low color quality become known. JVC was not behind any of this.

Frank Granovski May 9th, 2003 03:39 AM

You never know. JVC might surprise us with something completely different, in way of a consumer HD cam---unless one of the other players have something up their sleeves and beat JVC to the punch. And maybe, just maybe, these 1 chip thingy, pro and non-pro will fly. You never know. Lot a dumb consumers out there.

Paul Mogg May 9th, 2003 10:10 AM

But it doesn't take a dumb consumer to see that the pixel resolution in those grab comparisons that have been posred, are double the resolution of anything you can do on ANY SD camera, and that's a fact Maybe the color isn't good and the gamma needs adjusting, but you can fix much of that in post. As I have preciously posted, I did just that in FCP and got quite incredible improvements in picture quality from the original footage from this camera. For people starting out in film making, and who want to havethe possibility of their material being projected on a large screen, this camera may be a good starting point, unless they have $100,000 in their pocket to take the next step up in HD of course, or can pay $40,000 to get into a lower resolution SDX-900 (SD) camera with a good lens.