Are many people here still using their HD-1/10s? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 29th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #91
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Toope View Post
It seems my camera has finally started its journey up to Canada and is supposed to be here either wednesday or thursday.
Congrats! I suggest you get a off-white #100 bib to control the drooling. :-)

Quote:
I cant wait to see how my Macbook handles the HDV footage.
Should be fine, depending on the amount of RAM and the hard drive speed. I don't know if Apple is putting in faster drives now or not. I remember when I bought my G4 Powerbook we were whining that the fastest drive Apple was installing in the things was a 5400rpm drive (some were 4200rpm) while Dell was putting 7200rpm ones in theirs. Apple was running ads showing FCP on the 17" Powerbooks but never showed the cables that connected to the needed external hard drives. :-)

I don't know if the 7200rpm drives are still necessary or not. I have a friend with a HP notebook that has a 4500 rpm drive and he was getting errors saying his drive speed was too slow. He added an external drive which solved the problem.

Just a few more days, Greg...
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #92
Major Player

Urgghhh, its a no go. I am using a workaround for the moment.. Oh well.. Nothings perfect I suppose.. I still think its a great camera!
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #93
Regular Crew

if the internal is giving me problems, i have a couple 200+ gig firewire drives that i can use so drive speed shouldnt hopefully be an issue. Im very eager to get my hands on the cam. Ill probably spend a good deal of time this coming weekend playing with it.

If it does what im hoping it will do I may even look at picking up a second one this summer, for the price it seems like a steal. (and a beachtek box forsure)
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #94
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gaskin View Post
Urgghhh, its a no go. I am using a workaround for the moment.. Oh well.. Nothings perfect I suppose.. I still think its a great camera!
Hi,

What's a no-go? Varizoom, editing in Premiere or ?
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #95
Major Player

Heya!

Its a no go with the varizoom for sure. I actually am using the HD capture utility that came with the camera(another story) to capture to native ts files and then simply dragging and dropping them into premiere. They require no rendering and are simply ready for editing and effects if need be. But yes, I am editing in premiere!

And the second story is that I had to RMA the camera. I will have another one tomorrow, but it began timing out with XP during capture(playback mode) with the utility if it was just sitting idle for maybe 25 seconds. I was on the phone with B&H and JVC all day and it wasn't pretty. I simply decided to send it back for another one due to the lack of the SD card in the camera, the tape that I mentioned that seemed more like a testing tape(which could be bad or good and that I discovered had a blue colored dot on it with a number along with the box for the camera having the same dot and number as though it was sorted in some way), and then the timing out that my other camcorder never did, and neither did my friends that was purchased at the same time.

The timing out was really a pain because basically if I was rewinding the tape and walked to grab a glass of water, and came back, I had to restart the camcorder to get the device control back. If this had been an old camcorder I would have probably been like, whatever, but I haven't had it a week and these three issues popped up. So it was a sign to me! Just send it back for another unit!

I actually can't wait, as I played with my friends and the video of course was as good, and after using the utility to capture(if you have any experience with matrox products, they used to have a little external capture utility that would batch capture your clips for you), it is actually nice to not have to open Premiere to capture and simply use it to drag and drop captured clips that have been scene detected. So I have also figured out a workflow! So its not a total washout from my perspective.

I was dissapointed with B&H though, as I had to speak with multiple employees, recieved conflicting information and was bounced around for roughly 3 hours on this issue(most of which was spent on hold after answering the same exact question over and over). Not to mention, that I had to reference 4 different numbers for ordering and rmaing! This is the largest purchase I have made with them, and in the end I will have my camera tomorrow, but I had to fight for it tooth and nail on this one. Not at all the experience I have had in the past with them. I am very dissapointed to be honest on this one with them. This is what I meant by oh well, you can't win them all.

Question for you all. Your box, did the tape it was closed with have "JVC" stamped on it? The reason I am asking is because the JVC rep I spoke with indicated that if it came from them directly, the tape used to seal the box would have been logo'd with JVC. I am not exactly sure if I believe him so, I am curious. Mine and my friends were sealed(looked like original and I really looked hard after the issue today) with transparent packaging tape, but it did not say JVC on it. Just looking for input on this one.

I actually as U an typing this am transcoding some footage to a dvd. Its a short series of clips(approximately ten minutes), but it is taking a long time to transcode! Not at all what I am used to with DV. With the DV, I could churn out within encore a transcode at 7Mbs two pas in a little over realtime depending on complexity. This is taking a very long time! LOL But I had read that transcoding HDV takes alot longer. I cannot remember the ratio, but I was sort of expecting it. It reminds me of my first days of editing and leaving the transcode to run overnight. But the dvd looks great though!!!

Ok, I am off to sulk since I have to wait for my camera to take more footage!!

Later guys,

Damon
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #96
Regular Crew

well that kinda sucks for you, but you are still going to get your replacement before I get my original cam. So at least they are getting it to you quickly.

Also its great that you have found a decent workflow. I know that as soon as i get mine i will be posting some clips. I have a fair bit of online space ready.

Keep us up to date.
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #97
Major Player

Will do. :-)
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #98
Major Player

Quote:
Question for you all. Your box, did the tape it was closed with have "JVC" stamped on it?
From what I'd seen online they can come double-boxed with a brown outside box with JVC tape on it and inside that box is a black photo box, or they can just come in the black photo box. Mine came in the black photo box with basic clear tape sealing it. The outside box was a B&H brown box. The others may have come direct from the JVC store.

Quote:
The reason I am asking is because the JVC rep I spoke with indicated that if it came from them directly, the tape used to seal the box would have been logo'd with JVC.
That makes sense except you got it from B&H and not JVC direct. B&H probably received them boxed four to six in a larger box (with JVC tape on them) and then opened the boxes to get to the individual boxes with the cameras like we received.

Quote:
Ok, I am off to sulk since I have to wait for my camera to take more footage!!
You already cross-ship the other one back? Since the problem is timing out on playback I'd think you could still take lots more footage.
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #99
Major Player

Hi Dave!

That makes sense with the box tape issue. Complete sense to me! I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't just me. But as long as this one works fine, it can be taped with duct tape! LOL

And yes, I did ship it back. My friend actually took some footage and I pretty much did a quicky edit on it(well, she did a quickie edit as I am teaching her or showing her the basics of Premiere) and shot it out to dvd. I should be back in buisness a little later today with the camera.

And Greg: I wish I had some online space. Do you have your own server? I want to setup one for about a gig of online space, but I don't want to pay for the charge my isp wants for the connection. I may though, I am not quite sure still on that one since it's not very often that need the space to be honest.

D
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #100
Regular Crew

I have a few places with online space.

I have 2 domains plus a .mac account (which gives me 500 megs). My 2 domains have a fair bit of free space on their server, one is actually just sitting there with next to nothing on the server as the site is under construction right now. The other is close to full as its my own company website (surprising how fast 800megs gets used when you have a site that deals with video).

That site is ...

http://www.sandstormstudios.com

Just thought id throw that out there. And my .mac account is

http://web.mac.com/sandstormstudios
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #101
Major Player

Quote:
And yes, I did ship it back.
Now you'll have to charge another battery as you anxiously re-read the manual (smile), or did you buy a second? I'm thinking of ordering another off the same ebay seller as the price was cheap and the battery is working well. Wouldn't mind a backup of the AC adapter, too.

Sure hope you get a SD card this time. :-)

Last edited by Dave Eaton; May 30th, 2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #102
Major Player

Quote:
I have a few places with online space.

I have 2 domains plus a .mac account (which gives me 500 megs). My 2 domains have a fair bit of free space on their server, one is actually just sitting there with next to nothing on the server as the site is under construction right now. The other is close to full as its my own company website (surprising how fast 800megs gets used when you have a site that deals with video).
Nice work, Greg. Liked the school board videos and the title work. Plus, the JVC HD1 on your Bridal Fair 2007 newsletter. :-)

I'd like to be able to get the quality and size as the Apple site's FCP ads without people having to wait forever. Example:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...e=coenbrothers
Old May 30th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #103
Regular Crew

The quality of the clips on the apple site are always top notch. May have to see if i can grab one of their clips and figure out how it's encoded.

Also just got a call from UPS and it looks like my camera is at the border so it should definitely be here tomorrow. Hope it gets here before I have to go to a meeting in the afternoon!!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #104
Regular Crew

so i was looking at the apple video files and i checked out their 720p movie trailers to see how they were encoded. Looks like they use the H.264 codec at 1280 x whatever (depending on the trailers aspect ratio). The bit rate is pretty high at just under 6000kbits/sec. Not sure if the quality that comes out of the HD1 can compare to the footage that they are using but im definitely going to see if I can mimic their settings when I encode to see the quality difference. Being that its a progressive camera should definitely help.
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:53 AM   #105
Major Player

Quote:
Looks like they use the H.264 codec at 1280 x whatever (depending on the trailers aspect ratio). The bit rate is pretty high at just under 6000kbits/sec.
Shouldn't you be standing by the door waiting for a package? :-)

Just found a discussion on this very topic on Apple's site (I'm still reading it):
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....31304&#3631304

This clip was included as part of the discussion as another example. I liked it and include the link for those that might like to see it without reading the thread there:
http://web.mac.com/captmench/iWeb/Si...D2FB63057.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U