Are many people here still using their HD-1/10s? - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #136
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Dave. Sent an email and received a pdf within the hour. Definitely some nice information.
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #137
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Toope View Post
Thanks for the info Dave. Sent an email and received a pdf within the hour. Definitely some nice information.
And, here's another link+ for you in case you didn't have it:

http://www.proapptips.com
http://www.proapptips.com/proapptips...Tutorials.html
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #138
Major Player

That is indeed very interesting that they raised the price on it now.. LOL The other thing thats interesting is that the newer HD7 is only 80 bucks more. LOL But as we all know, this camera is a hell of a deal, even at 1300 now!

The warranty information is also very useful, so thanks!

Damon
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #139
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Gaskin View Post
The other thing thats interesting is that the newer HD7 is only 80 bucks more.
I didn't like the looks or feel of the HD7, possibly because I wanted a bigger camera than I had and didn't want to go into debt to get it. Also, I'm not yet a fan of hard drives in cameras. Hard drives can and do crash. Haven't heard of any in vidcams yet but have in still cameras (PCMCIA micro drives). The thought of a drive crashing and taking all of my footage makes me shiver. Tape and solid state are my personal preferences.

Heck, when I shoot stills I quickly backup to a notebook and still keep the cards loaded until I can be sure I've stored those images semi-safely.

The Sony XDCAM EX has my interest for a future vidcam.

Quote:
The warranty information is also very useful, so thanks!
Just activated the extended warranty. While I hope I never need it I do plan to take them up on the free annual cleaning and adjustments. That in itself was worth the price.
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #140
Major Player

My BF and I used to be one of the very first owners but we sold it to buy a Sony FX-1. But I still have tapes of friend's weddings that I was never able to download to a computer. Does anyone in LA want to rent us one for a bargain basement price for a day?:)
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #141
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Moore View Post
Does anyone in LA want to rent us one for a bargain basement price for a day?:)
Hello Betsy,

A shame that you can't just use a "standard" DV type tape deck to play back and load these tapes and save some wear and tear on the camera's mechanism.

I've been passively looking for you for a bit. I really liked your comments to a old review (as did the two friends I sent it to) and was wondering what you were referring to in the following as it sounded interesting:

Quote:
For example, after much experimentation with traditional filters, black stockings, brown stockings, and, on the advice of a well-regarded DP in the LA Times, plastic wrap, we found the best filter for our camera to control the light and the edge enhancement and to give it the best overall film look was a lens we cut out of a pair of Christmas glasses--you know the kind they hand out at holiday lighting events to make the twinklies look soft and glowy. The ungodly amount of edge enhancement actually seemed to help in this case, as the filter would have made things a bit soft otherwise.
I have no idea what type of Christmas glasses you were referring to. Can you shed some light on that for me? Thanks.
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #142
Major Player

Hi Dave, thanks for being on the lookout, it's always nice to be wanted:) What we've used for 98% of the project is just two semi heavy standard filters--1 is a 1/4 Black mist tiffen filter and the other is a Tiffen Soft FX 3 filter--a white filter and--we always use these two AT THE SAME TIME and the combination of (it seems) expanding and moderating the darks and the whites for us gives it a more filmic look--much better than just using the cinegama options of the camera alone. I know they should cancel each other out but (again in our opinion) seem to work a certain magic when crushed together. Now our project is set at Christmas and has certain surrealistic scenes (a la Hitchcock's Vertigo) so sometimes at the cost of even more light reaching the camera we slap on yet another heavier portrait white filter on top of the other two in order to give one of the female characters even more of a glow (it's still not obnoxious, like when they smear vaseline and nylons over Cybil Shepperd's close-ups). Adding the third filter makes most long shots in dim light too soft--but the added third filter can be great for closeups. But my favorite lens trick is something that because it eats up so much light and is so pronounced we use sparingly is in deed taking out the lenses of holiday specs, that look like the old 3D glasses and that when you aim them at sharp points of light like Christmas lights, car headlights in the distance, and fireworks produce both softening and tiny holographic special effects (twinkling stars, the word "Noel" seeming to float and rotate around a sharp light source, etc.)--also because of the holographic process, it gives the whole area a subtle, romantic lavender-grey glow, and really mellows the image in a beautiful, dreamlike way. The little holograms don't show up unless you telephoto all the way into an individual Christmas light but if you're shooting in an area with a lot of twinkly lights they do have the added bonus of creating a certain extra halo effect. Oh, and the bonus of all these approaches if you use a lot of onscreen light sources is that all of the light sources soften and look to be part of the pictorial beauty rather than a blared-out eye sore. To be crude, it's a distant cousin to all those dreamy blurry, high-end soft core, French movies of the mid seventies that were in turn influenced by the flashback sequences in Godfather II. Here is a link to the Holiday specs: http://www.3dglassesonline.com/holiday.html

Hope this helps,

L,

Bets
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #143
Major Player

Greg,

Not sure if you're still looking for clips but I stumbled on an ad for a JY-HD10 on ebay today that has some clip links:

Nice clean still: http://www.eyeofmine.com/jvc/hd/aa-p...r-water-HD.jpg

This one is of a Japanese garden that has a couple filters added and infrared (163MB):
http://www.eyeofmine.com/portfolio/m...gardens-hd.wmv

This one is a segment of Kart racing (61MB):
http://www.eyeofmine.com/portfolio/m...nwillow-hd.wmv

This one is a nice home tour of a house I'd never want to leave (130MB):
http://www.eyeofmine.com/portfolio/m...ia/casa-hd.wmv

Overall, some pretty good samples.
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #144
Regular Crew

Thanks for the links. Always enjoy seeing what others are doing with this camera. Im still waiting for mine to come back from the RMA. Been 2 weeks this Monday. Looks like it got stuck at the border for almost 4 days. Had to contact UPS for days before they finally released it. But at least its finally on its way back. So should have it early this week.

Greg
http://www.sandstormstudios.com

Powermac G4 1.25ghz (1.25 gigs Ram, 800 gigs HD)
Macbook Dual Core 1.83 ghz (1.25 gigs Ram, 240 gigs HD)

JVC GY-dv300u
JVC HD1u
TRV17
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #145
Major Player

Well Greg, at least yours is on its way back. They don't even see one of ours as being returned.. This has honestly been the most traumatic mailorder that I have ever had from anywhere. I spoke with them(B&H) this morning and it appears, even afer I bugged the jerk that I spoke with for the second RMA number(he gave me the original one and ups label for this one) did not put notes in the system to show that we were sending the second camera back. This is after my friend spoke with them(the second instance they had her upset) and they were supposed to send a RMA number to include both camera's but they didn't, and that RMA only included the single camera. So I called them and spoke with the person that gave me the old order number/return number and indicated that there was going to be notes indicated that would represent the return of this camera. So now we have both a missing camera and also according to the person she spoke with parts supposedly missing..

This has been horrible to be honest.. I am really confused because I have never had this type of experience before. Its really, really bad...
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #146
Regular Crew

Thats totally rediculous and unacceptable. I would be complely upset about that. That was a bit of my worry as well when sending back my camera. I spent every day tracking its progress and then when it said that UPS had delivered it, I sent an email to B&H to verify that they had received it and that the other one was on its way. The very next day they sent me a tracking number and out she went.

I think if I had a bad experiance like that it would possibly turn me off from buying from them. Unfortunately being from Canada the prices from B&H are what make it worth the risk.
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #147
Major Player

Yes, Greg, I agree completely and to be honest, and I told the person I spoke with today, that I am "not" going to order with them when I get mine, but I truly as I told my friend today, am embarrased that I recommended them to her. She is a very mild lady, but at the same time, she's not a crybaby. The person that I spoke with that urked me the first time, he was really, really rude as I mentioned before, and if I were not such a stubborn person, I would probably have been disturbed by him also(just thinking to myself if she got someone like him).

But the "one hand doesn't know what the other one has or is doing" is really upsetting to me. I have to call them back tomorrow and I told the guy I spoke with today, and he brought this to the attention of his manager, that they "need" to do something tomorrow because as the rep stated himself "this is a mess and needs to be resolved". He appoligized, but as I told him, my frustration is not with him, but the fact that it seems like we are not only being jerked around, but their process is definately flawed. And also that while I am not sure this is the most expensive order they will ever take, they have botched this completely and resolution needs to be given. I also advised that I referred her to them and I am very sad that I did so, and would never refer anyone else to them because of this experience.

And yes, it is unacceptable! To be honest, its urking the life of me! I know for sure I will be submitting a complaint not only to them but also to Bizrate. I am not sure where else to go, but this has really angered me to the extreme, and worn out my patience..

I actually also am looking for other mailorder dealers that I can order my cam from. Any suggestions? I looked at Broadway and Adorama, but I am sort of afraid to after this. I have half a mind to just pay an extra grand and buy it directly from the Sony store locally. Yes, it is that bad of a taste in my mouth to be honest about this whole thing.. She is depressed and deeply upset about it, and I am just angry at this point.

It has ruined the whole excitement about getting new equipment and taking our editing and product to another level...

I just want to get her camera and then I will do what I need to for mine... But at this point, IMHO, they suck royally!!

D
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #148
Regular Crew

well after 2 and a half weeks my cam is back. So far looks like all the pixels are good and none are dead. Have to put the camera through its paces with in the next few days.
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:58 AM   #149
Major Player

I've been using mine quite a bit lately, it's working quite well. The built-in mike works better than I expected. I didn't need sound for what I was shooting but after hearing it decided that I'll turn the volume down and use it anyway.

I was shooting outside in the heat (108-degrees) with the camera on a tripod and no shade for either of us. The camera got pretty hot (as did I) but no problems what-so-ever. Going to get a piece of white fabric to put on it when it's sitting waiting for the next shot to be set up. Dusting off my Reflectosol square black umbrella and a heavy stand to shade me and the camera for next time, too.

I'm shooting this morning in a confined space and going to try using an Olympus 0.8x I have as the standard lens isn't wide enough for some things. The Olympus looked good in the tests I did in my yard so it should do fine. Wish I'd taken it with me Tuesday.

I wanted to go a bit wider than a 0.8x so I searched this forum for wide angle add-on lenses and ended up ordering a Sony 0.7x VCL-HG0758 (58mm thread) off ebay. Was going to get the VCL-HG0752 (52mm thread) but read that it might vignette at full wide. Interesting price range on those, I found a used one for $35, including shipping.

Not sure a 0.7x is that much wider than a 0.8x but at that price I figured I'd try it -- that lets me leave the 0.8x in my still camera bag. May look for a wider lens later, will have to see what kind of things I end up shooting. Saw some seriously bad distortion and focus problems (center sharp, edges way off) with some 0.45x ones so I'll have to do some research.

Wasn't thinking I'd need a wide angle with video as you can do a slow pan to show the things not in the frame. Discovered that's not always possible.

Also, discovered that the V428 batteries don't last as long in the heat as I'd have hoped. I have two but am going to get 1-2 more. Wouldn't mind a smaller AC adapter for long session indoor shooting -- no stopping to change batteries.

I'm learning and having fun doing it. Discovering that directing people and getting them to actually do what you asked is interesting. :-)
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:06 AM   #150
Major Player

Well guys, gals, this will probably be my last post on the HD1 thread.

My friend has "finally" recieved her FX7, and I instantly fell in love with it. Tons of features(even more than I had read about) and the video is awesome, simply awesome... Hopefully there will not be any problems with this one as I don't think either of us can take another return with B&H. I ended up speaking with a manager by accident and giving him and earful of the situation(which he stated at the time was ridiculous himself), and he took care of it all and we had the camera the next day. I honestly saved his number in my cell as if I order my FX7 from B&H, I want to order it directly from him and not the reps(I really at this point don't have time or patience for a bunch of mess.. The patience has worn out)..

But to the day, there is still 50.00 missing from her credit card that they stated is going to be replaced next week.. So we will see.. However, I will find out and then report back to you all on it... It would be the final conclusion.. But IMHO they botched this one completely and the only saving grace is the manager I spoke with..

Damon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U