GR-HD1 footage for dowload - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 7th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #31
Permanently Banned

I think that the letters are most indicative of the increased resolution. Compare the two "Church" words.

Unfortunately the color on the HD1 looks like something from a 1-tube consumer camera from the period when man learned how to walk straight. A good match for the 35 Lux rating from the same era. Thumbs up to JVC for being consistent. Now all they have to do is match this thing to one of their old VHS recorders and claim that the price increase is consistent too -- with inflation. With the 100K viewfinder consistently reminding us of the same prehistoric era, they can call it Nostalgiacorder.

Hey JVC, this is 21st century. Wake up and if nothing else, fix up the color before releasing this thing in the US, before Consumer Reports get hold of one and will tell everybody that they will be a lot better off buying a $500 Digital 8 Sony, or worse, $250 Hi8 Canon. They already claim that your repair history is about as bad as can be among the DV camcorder brands.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #32
HDV Cinema

1. unZIP file.

2. Use mpgtxwrap to DEMUX into audio and video clips.

3. Use iTunes to convert audio ",mp3" tp .aif

4. Startup FCP and New Sequence

5. Import .m2v file (trim off first 2 blank frames)

6. import .aif file

7. drag to new sequence, select A and V, and LINK. Drag back to Bin.

8. create new Sequence

9. Now you can use this trim this clip and create a new movie. Even color correct as Paul did.

10. now export as MPEG-4 movie.

11. you can play in QT player

So it looks like MAYBE FCP editing can be done.

I purchased an MPEG-2 encoder from Apple. Anyone know how to get it installed for use by FCP?
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #33
Major Player

Steve, I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying you were able to import and/or edit an .m2v (mpeg2 Video) file directly in FCP somehow?
About the Apple Mpeg2 encoder. The only one I know of comes bundled with DVD Studio Pro but it only supports a maximum resolution of 720*480, so it won't do HD (unless you've found differently of course). The Heuris encoder supports HD resolutions but costs many thousands, if you find any shareware, or more affordable alternative, please post about it.
I posted on my local FCP group about my online/offline method of editing HD1 footage and some people with experience in HD editing seemed to think it was perfectly valid. I'm looking forward to trying it on a longer piece of footage if and when I can get my hands on some.

Good luck with this.
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #34
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Steve, I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying you were able to import and/or edit an .m2v (mpeg2 Video) file directly in FCP somehow?
-->>>

After demuxing -- I Imported into FCP.

It won't play well in the Viewer, but you can scrub it to trim it.

I then render to MPEG-4 which is happy to do 1280x720. And no quality loss either. Although who can tell with 4S!

What CODEC do you call "uncompressed."

The audio file should be an .mp2 not .mp3. Did you get it to load into FCP?
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:41 AM   #35
Major Player

Steve, what I found is that the mpgtx wrap utility decodes the .m2t file (transport stream file) into a .m2v file (Mpeg2 Video file). This will NOT directly load into FCP, at least I haven't been able to make it do so. (Is that what you're managing to do??)
I then run the .m2v file through the mpeg2decx utility which converts it to a Quicktime file, for the output compression settings I choose "None" as the compressor, and I assume this produces an uncompressed Quicktime file.( It is 350mb for a 4 sec file! ) While I'm in mpeg2decx I also output a DV format Quicktime file, which is what I actually edit before doing my conform to the uncompressed file for final output.
For my final output I also tried going to MPEG4, which plays, but does not play back smoothly through my system, that's why I'd like to convert back to an MPEG2 file for my final output, but I don't know of a MPEG2 encoder (apart from Heuris) that will handle 1280*720.
Old May 8th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #36
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Steve, what I found is that the mpgtx wrap utility decodes the .m2t file (transport stream file) into a .m2v file (Mpeg2 Video file). This will NOT directly load into FCP, at least I haven't been able to make it do so. (Is that what you're managing to do??)
-->>>

Yes. Since i didn't know it couldn't be done -- i tried it.

It also can be played by the QT Player.

I find this so surprising I have to wonder if it really is MPEG-2. I note that in FCP, the codec is blank! But it certainly is 1280x720 at 29.97fps.

I even created a 1 minute movie from the 4 second clip.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to join the audio (change .mp3 to .mp2 -- which is what the audio really is) to the video in the QT Player. I've not really tried using QT Pro for editing.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #37
HDV Cinema

I bought the MPEG-2 QT plug-in from apple.

That may be why I can use MPEG-2 in QT and FCP!

Look in X System folder, then Library, then QT. Do you have an MPEG2 Component?

However, in QT PRO I find I can't select either .mp2 or .m2v files so I can't join them together. Seems like I need to use FCP for this.
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:45 AM   #38
Major Player

Thanks Steve, I didn't know about that plug-in, I'll have to look into it, maybe that's the start of Apple's MPEG-2 editing support. The mpeg2decx utility I mentioned will join together and split Mpeg-2 files I believe.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U