DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   GR-HD1 footage for dowload (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/9121-gr-hd1-footage-dowload.html)

Paul Mogg April 30th, 2003 01:35 AM

GR-HD1 footage for dowload

I just dowloaded some footage that is supposedly footage from the GR-HD1 in MPEG2 TS format, it is posted at:

http://www.aquamonkey.com/gr-hd1_ts.zip

It looks pretty darned good to me, would love to hear others opinions, especially if they are able to view it on an HD televison, I could only watch it on a PC using the Elecard shareware player.
Appears to have a LOT of detail, as you would expect.
Finally we have something real to judge this camera by!

Paul

p.s. I did not post this footage, just found the link to it on another forum (camcorderinfo.com)

Steve Mullen May 1st, 2003 12:57 AM

Re: GR-HD1 footage for dowload

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : I just dowloaded some footage that is supposedly footage from the GR-HD1 in MPEG2 TS format, it is posted at:

http://www.aquamonkey.com/gr-hd1_ts.zip

-->>>

The site you mention doesn't download anything. But Aqua Monkey is a site in Japan that sells aquariums. And they have great pix of fish swimming in their aquaium. Click to:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/AQUAMONKEY/index.html

Camcorderinfo is not a great site. They posted a story on the JVC that was stolen word for word from my site. One has to wonder is this a hoax.

Frank Granovski May 1st, 2003 01:22 AM

>Camcorderinfo is not a great site.<

Robin started that site when she was just 17 or 18 years of age. I give her credit for that. (That was a couple of years ago.) I rather like her spunk, and she is always trying to make http://www.camcorderinfo.com better. Let her grow up a bit, then I'm sure her site will have matured also. I find lots of the latest news on her site. She informs her readers well. Vincent, one of our members, writes for her and does a fine job.

Paul Mogg May 1st, 2003 01:38 PM

HD1 footage

The site seems to have stopped working, but if anybody is interested, I have the footage. It is in the right format to be from the HD1 so I don't doubt that it is. It's only 10mb in size. It's 4 seconds of fish swimming around in an aquarium, looks a bit washed out, but that's how it would look if filmed through glass and water. I'd certainly prefer some better examples if anyone finds any.

Paul

Steve Mullen May 1st, 2003 03:04 PM

The first time I went to her site, it was obvious she knew nothing about technology. What/who let her think someone who knew nothing could/should advise others is nothing short of bizzare.

I'd have to say follow the money. How does someone in HS get the funds to start a site and to market it? Something sounds fishey to me.

When a google led me to her site last fall, she knew nothing more than the HD1 Japanese press release. If she had done some real reporting she could have learned more.

Later I went back and she was letting some wise ass publish a direct copy of something from the Video Systems website. That happens to be illegal, but I guess she's is too young to care about that.

On the other hand, there was a great review of the HD1 from PMA. I posted the link to it a month ago. And I posted a congratulations to the writer. But I did wonder why he published on that site rather than here.

I think the pop-ups are gone. But it still looks like AOL. :)

Steve Mullen May 1st, 2003 03:06 PM

Send of TS file

I'd love a copy of the MPEG TS file.

I downloaded a number of Mac tools that I'd like to try on it.

Alex Knappenberger May 1st, 2003 03:08 PM

Steve, your correct, but the thing about someone in highschool being able to not start a website, is false. I'm 14 and I can throw together a website that looks and functions 20x better then her's...I used to really make fun of her website for the same reasons myself -- she doesn't seem to know much, but tries to sound like she does in her words, and her reviews aren't even "real" half the time. By that, I mean it seems she doesn't even have the camera that she is "reviewing", and you can get more information off the box of the product then in her reviews...

Steve Mullen May 1st, 2003 10:21 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : Steve, your correct, but the thing about someone in highschool being able to not start a website, is false. I'm 14 and I can throw together a website that looks and functions 20x better then her's. -->>>

You should note I never questioned HOW she did it. But how she funded a server, marketed her site to many companies, and kept herself in food and rent during the startup.

Creating a website is simple. Building a web business is expensive.

Chris Hurd May 2nd, 2003 11:05 AM

Steve

<< But I did wonder why he published on that site rather than here >>

Actually he came to me first, asked me if I was interested in his review and how much I would pay for it. I told him I was very interested, but that I don't have a budget for paying for submissions. I would have been happy to run it, but if I paid him then I'd have to pay everybody who submits material, and I haven't won the lottery yet to fund an operation of that kind of expense. Hope this helps,

Bryan Beasleigh May 2nd, 2003 11:20 AM

<< But I did wonder why he published on that site rather than here >>
I can't find this reference in this thread.

Chris Hurd May 2nd, 2003 12:17 PM

Bryan

It's in the fifth paragraph, in the first of two back-to-back posts by Steve Mullen a little further up. Hope this helps,

Steve Mullen May 3rd, 2003 08:28 PM

While the file would not download to my Mac,it did -- slowly -- to my PC. The file plays fine on my 17" widescreen iMac -- at full-screen.

If I had an adapter cable I could feed my 16:9 projector.

Detail is very nice -- but I THINK I see luma and chroma noise. Which makes sense because the HD1 certainly has both.

Seems strange no one from Japan has posted a long file of more varied scenes.

Joseph George May 4th, 2003 09:53 PM

Luma and chroma noise -- does anyone know about the scene lighting -- is it indoors, outdoors?

Paul Mogg May 5th, 2003 11:02 AM

HD1 Footage

I'm not seeing any noise in the picture, quite grainless in fact, which is the most suprising thing about it, with DV I would definately be able to see SOME pixel noise, even in a fairly high end camera. It's not the best example though as the fact that it's filmed through glass and water makes it look washed out, and it's difficult to tell if there are any camera induced color artifacts because of the subject matter. there aren't any straight edges or camera movement either, that might show up problems.
Also I'm viewing it on my PC monitor, which is never a good idea with video. But I have to say that this footage makes me much more optimistic than I was, bearing in mind all the negativity written about this camera over the past few months. Personally it is the level of detail that appeals to me. Many color problems can be fixed in post, though of course that should be a last resort.

Paul

Joseph George May 5th, 2003 11:45 AM

Steve Mullen said he sees chroma and luma noise. Steve, could you commet on it? Also, do you know what kind of changes/improvements is JVC plannig? Are they going o be upgrading the MPEG encoder processor, or what?