USA Today likes JVC-HD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 25th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #16
Permanently Banned

From my experience once the rep gets hold of you and will try to sell you ad space, if you act just a little interested, but will hold on buying the space, you can normally get anything from the publication -- from promoting your product in an article to a whole article about your product or service.

Have no illusions. If you know anyone in advertising, you'll learn some interesting stories, how to be able to get an ad for a lot lower price than an ad agency pays, to getting your products "evaluated" by editors. All you have to do is establish a good relationship, and believe me, the advertising department has a direct connection to the editor in chief.

There is no news that is not biased. This is all subtle. Some editors get promoted, some don't. It all depends on how well they know the game and understand the culture, without talking about it. Remember it officially does not exist. There is no better place to learn the "culture" than in Hollywood. I had a pretty good relationship with my boss on an early job, just out of school. He was pretty open with me. He basically categorized his people into the ones who understand American culture and those who don't. It did not matter if they were Americans or nor. The ones who lied to protect him and the company "understood" and got promoted. Others lost jobs. I left for a better job. But there is no more bull anywhere than in Hollywood -- and in advertising. Just remember -- media's business purpose is not there to bring you news, it is there to sell advertising. And there are some very interesting ways of selling it.
Old May 25th, 2003, 03:50 PM   #17
Warden

This is way off topic. Please review the camera, not ethics in journalism. Thanks.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #18
Major Player

Pogue

The New York Times review was written by David
Pogue. In case you don't know who he is, he used to write a very popular column for MacWorld. He's got tons of Apple-related books to his credit, he's written a handbook on iMovie2. I could go on and on but I think you get the picture....this guy knows what he's talking about. Unfortunately for some of you who always see the glass as half empty, he likes the camera!
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #19
Warden

Mr. Pogue is a excellent writer and certainly qualified to review cameras for the New York Times. If the reviews don't meet your guidelines for technical merits and specifications, I suggest you consider the writers intended audience.

Last warning, review the camera, not the review.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #20
DVX User

well, since the thread topic was the review... i dont get why there is a problem discussing the review.
Old May 26th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #21
Outer Circle

Quote:
well, since the thread topic was the review... i dont get why there is a problem discussing the review
Because this is the GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U camcorder forum, and it is NOT intended as a soap box stand for a character assassination on a writer who writes for a National newspaper!
Old May 26th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #22
Warden

Thread locked. If you want to talk about reviews rather than cameras, take your posts to The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media. But you still have to play nice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U