USA Today likes JVC-HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 06:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

USA Today likes JVC-HD

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...5702&printer=1

Finally, somebody likes it! This is the only positive review so far, isn't it?

Vladimir.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 12:44 PM   #2
Rextilleon

AS I suspected-a consumer report---I wouldn't buy based on this---wait until the pros get it in their hands---
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:43 PM   #3
Major Player

So does the New York Times. The review is a good example of what happens when enthusiasm exceeds experience.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/22/te...ts/22stat.html
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:47 PM   #4
Permanently Banned

It's all JVC's PR work. They distribute press releases, have their ad agency talk to the magazine's advertising department, remind them how much Matsushita spent on advertising, the ad department talks to the chief editor, then an editor gets invited for a private demo. They send a limo to get him, then do their demonstration under controlled conditions, may not even play the recorded tape, just feed the camcorder to a tweaked up HD monitor. Most of the time it's wining and dining, PR bull, then a short demo. They may even have a Sony tweaked-up-the-other-way camera for A-B comparison. The editor knows what to write so he gets the next job. Did you ever notice how the digital cameras, speakers, or cars with the most advertising get better reviews, then Consumer Reports says the opposite.

(a little exaggerated)
Old May 22nd, 2003, 09:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey the clips I downloaded looks pretty damn good. It was a shot of a jelly fish and the sharpness is great.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:43 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

I disagree WHOLEHEARTEDLY! I work in the media, and here's a little story.

We sell ad time to a phone company (not a major, one of those "you'll save money going with us"), a lot of time; then, one day, our consumer reporter does a story on them. They're being investigated! Do you honestly think that company called us up and reminded us how much money they spent on ad time? NO! I think their problem was settled and they began advertising again. I don't remember all the details, but that proves, ethically speaking, NO advertiser can tell the media what the media should do. Unless it reveals some big secret, like, "An inside look at how the new JVC HD camera works." That might piss off JVC. :-)

heath

<<<-- Originally posted by Joseph George : It's all JVC's PR work. They distribute press releases, have their ad agency talk to the magazine's advertising department, remind them how much Matsushita spent on advertising, the ad department talks to the chief editor, then an editor gets invited for a private demo. They send a limo to get him, then do their demonstration under controlled conditions, may not even play the recorded tape, just feed the camcorder to a tweaked up HD monitor. Most of the time it's wining and dining, PR bull, then a short demo. They may even have a Sony tweaked-up-the-other-way camera for A-B comparison. The editor knows what to write so he gets the next job. Did you ever notice how the digital cameras, speakers, or cars with the most advertising get better reviews, then Consumer Reports says the opposite.

(a little exaggerated) -->>>
Old May 23rd, 2003, 03:44 PM   #7
Permanently Banned

I said "a little exaggerated" :)
Old May 23rd, 2003, 04:16 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Joseph George : I said "a little exaggerated" :) -->>>

All the free video magazines have one thing in common: a lot of ad space and mostly large previews of equipment, not full-on reviews. Videomaker has tiny previews but major reviews of new gear in their mag. And last I checked, they don't give subscriptions away of that.

heath
Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:31 PM   #9
Permanently Banned

We are not talking about Videomaker magazine but USA Today.

This is not an ideal world and unfortunately reports do get biased -- favorably for the biggeer advertisers.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:53 PM   #10
Outer Circle

This is not an ideal world and unfortunately reports do get biased -- favorably for the biggeer advertisers.

Joseph, did you just figure this out and now you just had to share this with us? Thanks for this insightful bit of importance.
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:23 AM   #11
Permanently Banned

Frank, most people who would read the whole thread would understand the meaning.
Old May 24th, 2003, 05:51 AM   #12
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : <<<-- Originally posted by Joseph George : I said "a little exaggerated" :) -->>>

All the free video magazines have one thing in common: a lot of ad space and mostly large previews of equipment, not full-on reviews. Videomaker has tiny previews but major reviews of new gear in their mag. And last I checked, they don't give subscriptions away of that.

heath -->>>

DV magazine is free and that's prolly the best video-related publication out there.
Old May 24th, 2003, 06:15 AM   #13
Major Player

The problem with both USA Today and the New York Times in reviewing the new JVC HD camera has nothing to do with advertising.

The folks doing the reviews are the same folks who review the new sound systems and computers and any other electronic gadget that comes down the line. They have limited experience in what they are reviewing and their readers are primarily shooters of home video. Nothing wrong with any of this, of course. Nor is it surprising.
Old May 25th, 2003, 12:09 PM   #14
Trustee

" don't remember all the details, but that proves, ethically speaking, NO advertiser can tell the media what the media should do. "

So one incident involving your own publication proves that all of them are unbiased. I don't think so.
Old May 25th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #15
Wrangler

I've got to agree. Some publications are more objective than others, but it's very naive to assume that advertising dollars don't influence coverage, especially in the current economy. How often have you noticed a big ad spread from a company in the same issue that reviews one of its products?

In my own very limited experience, a theatrical publication did a nice write-up about our facilities several years back. Immediately after I was interviewed I was contacted by their marketing department asking whether we wanted to buy advertising, and promising placement on a page next to the story. And of course they also were happy to offer us reprints (at a 'reasonable' cost) which we could use for our own marketing purposes.

I enjoy reading many trade publications, but don't have any illusions about their bias. It's tough out there anymore with advertising revenue way down, so everyone does what they must to survive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U