DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   upgrading from GY Dv 500 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/100673-upgrading-gy-dv-500-a.html)

Tom Mulligan August 6th, 2007 10:34 AM

upgrading from GY Dv 500

Been shooting with the GY-DV 500 for the last seven years. I'm exploring the possibility of upgrading to the HD 100. How does this compare to the 500 in terms of field use, is it better or worse in low light. Handle the same or better. I assume picture is better in standard def? How does the HDV look, does it have the problems I've been hearing about HDV in terms of strobe effect on pans and stuff.

Thanks

Sean Adair August 6th, 2007 11:29 AM

Hi Tom, Welcome.
I also bought a JVC GY-DV500 when they came out, and used it extensively until my GY-HD200 purchase earlier thius year.
I'm very happy withy the transition.

The camera has much in common with the DV500, albeit with less bulk in the body, and a few controls not in switches, and now relegated to the menus.
Overall, handling, control and performance are all improved and modernized.

Low-light performance is the one area where performance has decreased. This camera needs more light, as do other 1/3" HDV cameras - it's the physical nature of chip size etc. Depth of field is increased as well - which has it's pros and cons depending on what you are trying to do.

Handling is about the same, but the monitoring is significantly better. The picture is improved, even in standard def, and if you can deal with the post workflow, you'll get even better results shooting in HDE and down rezzing for SD output.

Re HDV, strobe effect on pans etc, you should look through the archives here for some extensive discussion. Generally, shooting 24p in HD should be considered in appropriateness for the material you are working on, and requires an adjustment in shooting style. 30p has somewhat less of an effect, but still has a different look with motion than 60i (standard interlaced footage). This is one reason I waited for and chose the HD200 - because 60p will give fully smooth motion for the situations where this is important. Currently post in this format is a bit more challenging, and in any case, be sure to research your post workflow and delivery in advance to avoid surprises. BTW, I'm also in NYC.

Tom Mulligan August 6th, 2007 12:12 PM

Thanks for the info Sean. Not too worried about the workflow. I too use FCP on the G5 (peaked at your website, maybe I'll see you at a NYCFCPUG group meeting).

My biggest concern with the camera is that I get jobs where I can only shoot by candlelight. The 500 was suprisingly good at this with only 6db gain.

Sean Adair August 6th, 2007 05:18 PM

Hey Tom,
Feel free to give me a shout now that you've tracked me down. But forget about shooting something lit by candlelight - you'll only be getting the flame! I'd plan on adding light for most interior shots unless you can sacrifice some grain a/o blur.

If you could use another DV500 for those cave shots let me know - mine is dormant now!

Tom Mulligan August 6th, 2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Adair (Post 724499)
If you could use another DV500 for those cave shots let me know - mine is dormant now!

Thanks, I'll let you know. Mine goes to the doctor on friday see what's wrong with her.

Who do you use to service your cameras?