DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC gy-hd200 performance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/100716-jvc-gy-hd200-performance.html)

Kim Swift December 8th, 2007 09:24 AM

Hi Akbar Ukani and all!

I just bought the JVC 5100 camcorder (used) from a company. They say it has approx 10 hours on the ehads and has been used three times. For some reason, I can not white balance the camcorder? I'm pretty new to this stuff, and this camcorder is pretty advanced for e.

Can anyone offer any tips for achieving the best image? White balance?

Akbar,
how does your image look so good? How do you white balance? I hope I didnt bite off more than I can chew :(

Bill Ravens December 8th, 2007 10:41 AM

I learned the hard way. When the shot is irreplaceable...never rely on firewire. Back it with tape.

Tim J. Matteson January 19th, 2008 06:48 AM

probably an oddball question about the HD200

I posted this on another thread before I found this one. Hopefully, someone has some insight:

1. I like what I'm reading about the HD200, it sounds like a good unit. However, I need to know if it can be tweaked to closely match a Panasonic AG-DV200p about 3-4 times a year.

2. I edit with Xpress Pro, and Avid tells me it'll accept 720p/60 from the HD200, but I can't find the camera on their list of approved devices. I read on a forum that the camera must be connected to the host firewire port instead of the Mojo during capture, but can anyone out there confirm success in getting Xpress Pro to communicate with the GY-HD200U? Were you able to batch-capture? Any tips, tricks, or warnings for me?

3. Lastly, has anyone tried putting the HD200 on a Manfrotto Fig Rig? Was it worth the expense?

Looking forward to your input.

thanks.

tim

Sean Adair January 19th, 2008 10:49 AM

Tim: your questions really belong in a new thread (unlike some actual new threads...)
Quickly...
1/ yes, if you do it yourself (hint use a quality colorchart)
2/ Avid does not play nicely with 720p HDV. You'll need to transcode footage, or capture with hardware (choose time-consuming or expensive) with AVID.
3/ These cameras don't have image stabilizing and are too big to be practical with the figrig. Also, it's not a taste for everybody - personally I'd look at alternatives.

Sean Adair January 19th, 2008 11:02 AM

Re low light with the hd200 - it's the 3rd page and I can't beleive no one mentioned...
Tim Dashwoods scene file presets. The one for low light REALLY WORKS.
It's very clean, preserves color. Looks better than adding gain, but you can add gain as well, although here it's a bit more grainy than grain alone (with added light).
Chip size doesn't always correlate directly to better light performance, but going to HD seems to be an across the board decrease in low-light performance. The tricks to work in reduced light are covered pretty well here, but then, I was using these with my GY-DV500 already, which was an awesome low-light performer already. There is an adjustment to the point you say "there is not enough light to take good video"

Eric Gulbransen January 19th, 2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Adair (Post 810826)
Re low light with the hd200 - it's the 3rd page and I can't beleive no one mentioned...
Tim Dashwoods scene file presets. The one for low light REALLY WORKS.

100% Sean..

Tim J. Matteson January 19th, 2008 10:16 PM

thanks Sean

Thanks so much for your input, Sean. Item #2 was not what I wanted to hear, but definitely what I needed to hear.
Since I'm already committed to Xpress Pro for post, do you have any suggestions, or should I abandon all hope of editing HD?

tim