DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC Gy-hd200 lenses..Just Curious? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/100956-jvc-gy-hd200-lenses-just-curious.html)

Akbar Ukani August 9th, 2007 04:34 AM

JVC Gy-hd200 lenses..Just Curious?

I am curious about this...Cameras normally have their own ccd's...for example the jvc has three 1/3" ccd....however i am currently looking at some lenses for the jvc 200 and within the lens specification there is a section that says "IMAGER SIZE; 1/3-inch CCD"....how would this come into play along with JVC's CCDs...does this mean that there will be a total of Four(4) 1/3" ccds...Pardon me if this sounds like a stupid question?

Glen Vandermolen August 9th, 2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akbar Ukani (Post 726027)
I am curious about this...Cameras normally have their own ccd's...for example the jvc has three 1/3" ccd....however i am currently looking at some lenses for the jvc 200 and within the lens specification there is a section that says "IMAGER SIZE; 1/3-inch CCD"....how would this come into play along with JVC's CCDs...does this mean that there will be a total of Four(4) 1/3" ccds...Pardon me if this sounds like a stupid question?

It means the lens is made for a 1/3" ccd camera, like our JVCs. IMAGER SIZE refers to the size chip the lens was designed for.
Are you looking at Fujinons? I don't know if there are other manufacturers that make lenses that will fit our cameras. I have the 17X lens. Someday I hope to get the 18X, but that baby is 10 grand-ouch.

Adam Letch August 9th, 2007 06:31 PM

18x

yes,
$10,000, I just priced one in Australia at $19,800 !! Double ouch even after conversion of currency factors!!

Good to see though the other lenses all come down in price, I've priced the 17x at $3300, it use to be $5500. The 13x is now 'only' (only? Am I really saying that??) $10,800, it use to be $13,000 to $16,000. And I think I saw the 20x Canon for $12,000 which was $15,000.

So hopefully we're starting to see some common sense come into this lens market, the people who use them are not necessarily cashed up like a broadcaster or large film company, and the prices are slowly coming down to a reasonable level, over here in Aus anyway. Infact the 18x over here started at $16000, so it's the only lens to go up in price.

Akbar Ukani August 9th, 2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 726097)
It means the lens is made for a 1/3" ccd camera, like our JVCs. IMAGER SIZE refers to the size chip the lens was designed for.
Are you looking at Fujinons? I don't know if there are other manufacturers that make lenses that will fit our cameras. I have the 17X lens. Someday I hope to get the 18X, but that baby is 10 grand-ouch.

Hey Glenn....the jvc I have is the dv-5100 with a 16x lens....but I know the gy-hd200 are being sold with a 17x lens or a 16x lens.....I think the one with a 17x lens has a 1000 dollar rebate which is offered by JVC...is there a major difference between the two....honestly, I have always been weary of such nice rebates because I always think that something new will be released soon?

Glen Vandermolen August 9th, 2007 09:59 PM

Akbar,
I've been told the 17X has a noticably better picture than the 16x. I can't comment on that, since I've always had the 17X on my HD200. It should have a sharper image and a wider picture. There's a whole thread devoted to the 17X lens in this forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78898

I was told the reason JVC is giving such a good deal on the 200 is because they're not selling as well as the 250 and JVC just needs to move inventory.
I am more than happy to oblige them and get my $1,000 rebate.
I doubt there's anything new coming out of JVC anytime soon, at least as far as HDV cameras. The HD200 line just came out late last year.