JVC Gy-hd200 lenses..Just Curious? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 9th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC Gy-hd200 lenses..Just Curious?

I am curious about this...Cameras normally have their own ccd's...for example the jvc has three 1/3" ccd....however i am currently looking at some lenses for the jvc 200 and within the lens specification there is a section that says "IMAGER SIZE; 1/3-inch CCD"....how would this come into play along with JVC's CCDs...does this mean that there will be a total of Four(4) 1/3" ccds...Pardon me if this sounds like a stupid question?
Akbar Ukani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbar Ukani View Post
I am curious about this...Cameras normally have their own ccd's...for example the jvc has three 1/3" ccd....however i am currently looking at some lenses for the jvc 200 and within the lens specification there is a section that says "IMAGER SIZE; 1/3-inch CCD"....how would this come into play along with JVC's CCDs...does this mean that there will be a total of Four(4) 1/3" ccds...Pardon me if this sounds like a stupid question?
It means the lens is made for a 1/3" ccd camera, like our JVCs. IMAGER SIZE refers to the size chip the lens was designed for.
Are you looking at Fujinons? I don't know if there are other manufacturers that make lenses that will fit our cameras. I have the 17X lens. Someday I hope to get the 18X, but that baby is 10 grand-ouch.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Major Player

18x

yes,
$10,000, I just priced one in Australia at $19,800 !! Double ouch even after conversion of currency factors!!

Good to see though the other lenses all come down in price, I've priced the 17x at $3300, it use to be $5500. The 13x is now 'only' (only? Am I really saying that??) $10,800, it use to be $13,000 to $16,000. And I think I saw the 20x Canon for $12,000 which was $15,000.

So hopefully we're starting to see some common sense come into this lens market, the people who use them are not necessarily cashed up like a broadcaster or large film company, and the prices are slowly coming down to a reasonable level, over here in Aus anyway. Infact the 18x over here started at $16000, so it's the only lens to go up in price.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
It means the lens is made for a 1/3" ccd camera, like our JVCs. IMAGER SIZE refers to the size chip the lens was designed for.
Are you looking at Fujinons? I don't know if there are other manufacturers that make lenses that will fit our cameras. I have the 17X lens. Someday I hope to get the 18X, but that baby is 10 grand-ouch.
Hey Glenn....the jvc I have is the dv-5100 with a 16x lens....but I know the gy-hd200 are being sold with a 17x lens or a 16x lens.....I think the one with a 17x lens has a 1000 dollar rebate which is offered by JVC...is there a major difference between the two....honestly, I have always been weary of such nice rebates because I always think that something new will be released soon?
Akbar Ukani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Space Hipster

Akbar,
I've been told the 17X has a noticably better picture than the 16x. I can't comment on that, since I've always had the 17X on my HD200. It should have a sharper image and a wider picture. There's a whole thread devoted to the 17X lens in this forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78898

I was told the reason JVC is giving such a good deal on the 200 is because they're not selling as well as the 250 and JVC just needs to move inventory.
I am more than happy to oblige them and get my $1,000 rebate.
I doubt there's anything new coming out of JVC anytime soon, at least as far as HDV cameras. The HD200 line just came out late last year.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems