HD250 on preseason football broadcast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Major Player

HD250 on preseason football broadcast

Tomorrow I'm working on a Minnesota Vikings preseason football game for a local OTA station, we're using an HD250 as a lockdown wide shot. Not sure if the signal's going back to the truck via HDSDI or fiber. We'll see how well it matches with Grass Valley broadcast cameras. We're also using an HD100 to get shots outside the Metrodome before the game for roll-ins.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Space Hipster

Excellent! It's always good to here our cameras making it "big time." And it sounds like a good gig for you as well.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'd love to hear how it went. As a recent graduate I'm looking at getting into Sports TV so I'm always interested to hear the latest.

Joe
Joe Sonnenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Not much to say really, they took the shot a couple times throughout the broadcast and the colors matched well enough that you couldn't tell it was a different type of camera. Just a wide bump shot. I never did get to find out how they got the picture back to the truck, I was busy with other things. What I found more interesting was the "X-Mo" camera, a super slo-mo HD camera running at 400 frames a second. Very cool look, but difficult to run because it eats a lot of light.
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen View Post
Tomorrow I'm working on a Minnesota Vikings preseason football game for a local OTA station, we're using an HD250 as a lockdown wide shot. Not sure if the signal's going back to the truck via HDSDI or fiber. We'll see how well it matches with Grass Valley broadcast cameras. We're also using an HD100 to get shots outside the Metrodome before the game for roll-ins.
Didn't know that Grass Valley made cameras.
Kennedy Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Major Player

They make everything nowadays. At least enough that you can build a significant part of your control room/truck from one brand.
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Just thought I'd add that I'm shooting the "roll ins" and human interest stuff for the Seahawks this season on my HD100. I'm shooting for the Big screens at the stadium and not broadcast.

Stephen is your HD250 being used for HD broadcast?

cheers,

tup
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Clarification, I don't own an HD250, I just shoot with it occasionally. I use whatever gear the broadcaster gives me to shoot with.
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #9
Major Player

Okay, I figured out that they use fiber to go back to the truck. It's not too much of a hassle around here because the football and baseball press boxes at the Metrodome are wired with fiber courtesy of ESPN (MNF runs their booth audio and high cameras on fiber) and the press boxes at the XCel Center are wired with fiber courtesy of HDNet.

I can see the HD250 making a good booth announcer shot if you would rather use the truck cameras elsewhere. Booth shots are usually handled by disconnecting one of the game handhelds and bringing it up to the booth near the end of the quarter/period.
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Just like to add that I shot many of the taped player interviews that aired during this broadcast with the HD250. We shot them in HD60p, but for the next round of interviews, I'll shoot them in HD24p. I was watching the game at home with friends and always seemed to be out of the room when the interviews played, so I don't really know how well it looked in the actual broadcast. (or if they played at all, for that matter)
Nick Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #11
Major Player

I was one of the cart utilities so I saw all the video on the cart monitor, I don't remember seeing any player interviews except stuff done live during the game.
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #12
Regular Crew

It may be for one of the other preseason games. I'll ask at Training Camp tomorrow.
Nick Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #13
Major Player

I'll bet it'll get used on Vikings Weekly. Or it could just be going off into the great void. I spent two days at the beginning of baseball season shooting the auditions for the St. Paul Saints' new PA announcer and none of it ever aired. At least I still got paid!
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems