DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Careful when shooting sports... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/101464-careful-when-shooting-sports.html)

Neil Rostance August 16th, 2007 10:25 AM

Careful when shooting sports...

1 Attachment(s)
all i can say is "noooooooo!"

One football at full speed vs One viewfinder = devastating snap noise.

Apologies for phone photo, but had to vent!

Surely this is a very common thing? Anybody had this before? Easily repaired i hope!

Justin Ferar August 16th, 2007 12:07 PM

What? No video footage of it? At least you would have had a cool shot!

Neil Rostance August 16th, 2007 02:28 PM

i would have struggled with the focus pull on that one! Nope didn't get the footage either. what a double whammy bummer.

Stephan Ahonen August 16th, 2007 04:03 PM

What were you doing when this happened? Was it a football in play or was someone tossing something around on the sidelines and it got away from them?

Neil Rostance August 16th, 2007 04:35 PM

i was filming from the sideline as they were playing a match. (soccer by the way...!)

it deflected off somebodies knee and for some reason went to protect my face before my camera. lesson learned. camera comes first!

do you think this is pretty repairable?

Thomas Weilguny August 16th, 2007 05:56 PM

is the viewfinder still working? if yes, looks like a job for duct tape...

Don Bloom August 16th, 2007 06:03 PM

About 1981 while shooting a US type football game as a still photogapher I was on the sideline with a Nikon f and a 180mm lens. (Sweetest lens ever) anyway, I was following the action down on 1 knee and since football moves pretty quick and I don't I got hammered really bad by not only the receiver but the cornerback who tackled him. Luckily I was not hurt nor was the camera - unluckily I was knocked back into a mud puddle behind me and got soaked to the skin but I saved the gear and got the shot. Didn't make the paper though-fortunately neither did the shot the other photog got af me being hit and going into the puddle ;-)
Oh yeah, same year doing a basketball game under the basket looking thru the veiwfinder thru an 85mm lens-follow the bouncing ball-see the large man fill up my vf -BAM! That one left a mark-I had a black eye for a couple of weeks. Didn't get the shot either :-(
Don

Steve Oakley August 16th, 2007 11:07 PM

yes its repairable, but you'll need to send it in. it won't be too bad. I broke the handle from the body dropping a rental camera once... don't ask. handle was not that expensive.

Jan Van der Heyden August 24th, 2007 02:47 AM

A year ago I was playing with my nephew's handycam. Got down on my belly in the grass, in the middle of an RC car circuit, trying to 'get the sensation of speed' on camera. Some freak ran into the grass at probably 40 mph and hit the camera full throtlle. Unfortunately, my face was right behind the camera and my eye in the viewfinder. that's all I remember...

Woke up an hour later in hospital, only to find out that the car was demolished, and the handycam...it was in perfect working condition, not even a scratch.

Sony makes damn' good equipment ;)