DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD200 Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/101498-hd200-audio.html)

Alan Hanna August 16th, 2007 08:12 PM

HD200 Audio

Hello everyone,

I'm a little baffled with the audio settings in my camera. I think there may be something wrong or if there isn't, can someone please explain it to me. First of all, switching the audio reference from -20dB to -12dB does what it should. The reference dot in the bar scale moves and the graph is "rescaled" with whatever dB is set where the dot is the peak. Switching between -12 and -20 will automatically increase/decrease level and keep the audio peaked at the reference dot (without me manually adjusting the wheel). The output level will be at -12dB or -20dB in an NLE as it should.

However..I think there is a problem with the input mic reference. When I switch from -50 to -60...the audio levels go up. Shouldn't it be the opposite? The audio is boosted the same way as it would go from -20 to -12. The audio is set to manual, btw. If anyone can explain why it does that, I would appreciate it.

-alan

Guy Barwood August 16th, 2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Hanna (Post 730190)
Hello everyone,
However..I think there is a problem with the input mic reference. When I switch from -50 to -60...the audio levels go up. Shouldn't it be the opposite? The audio is boosted the same way as it would go from -20 to -12. The audio is set to manual, btw. If anyone can explain why it does that, I would appreciate it.
-alan

This is the way I guess it works:

Assuming the same audio source, the pysical input level is remaining contant. Therefore, if you change the input mic reference level from -50 to -60 you are telling the camera the level of the reference input level from the mic is lower than before (was -50, now -60) therefore the camera will compensate by increaseing the levels (as you say they go up). To me it sounds like it is doing what it should be doing.

Alan Hanna August 16th, 2007 08:52 PM

Thanks, Guy.

That makes sense. I was thinking of it in the same terms as the audio reference level. I knew that there had to be a reason for it...I just wasnt sure what it was.

-alan

Steve Oakley August 16th, 2007 11:04 PM

the change is as expected. the difference is you are adding a -10db pad in using the -50 setting, so when you change to -60, the level goes up. this setting changes the actual input level, while the other one simple moves the ref point in the display.

personally I find that using -20 is wasting a lot of audio space if you are working with a external mixer. I usually run tone thru and turn on 2 more segments which should be about -14. even with that level, the mixer will clip before the camera will hit 0 and clip. if you are tighter with the levels, I'm sure you could run -12, but that takes more care.

Alan Hanna August 18th, 2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Oakley (Post 730252)
the change is as expected. the difference is you are adding a -10db pad in using the -50 setting, so when you change to -60, the level goes up. this setting changes the actual input level, while the other one simple moves the ref point in the display.

personally I find that using -20 is wasting a lot of audio space if you are working with a external mixer. I usually run tone thru and turn on 2 more segments which should be about -14. even with that level, the mixer will clip before the camera will hit 0 and clip. if you are tighter with the levels, I'm sure you could run -12, but that takes more care.

switching between -12 and -20 also changes the input level...not just the reference point. The display will rescale the meter and increase (or decrease) the level so it peaks at the ref point.

I have also noticed that switching from -50 to -60 blocks out a lot of outside noise and hissing much better than using -50...but the input volume wheel is usually set between 1-3...instead of 5-7 when using -50 during interviews. So if the interviewee talks a little bit louder or suddenly yells than he/she should it looks like it can cause trouble. I've always kept it at -50. But in a controlled environment...it isnt really a big issue since the volume frmo the speaker will probably remain at a constant level anyway.

-alan

Robert Castiglione August 18th, 2007 07:44 PM

Another possibility is to set channel 1 to -60 and put the pad on channel 2 as your safety channel just in case channel 1 clips (use the setting on the camera to set input 1 to both channels).

I too use an external preamp/mixer whenever possible. Going line level in to the camera will definitely give a much better sound than using the onboard preamps.

Rob

Alan Hanna August 19th, 2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione (Post 730927)
Another possibility is to set channel 1 to -60 and put the pad on channel 2 as your safety channel just in case channel 1 clips (use the setting on the camera to set input 1 to both channels).

I too use an external preamp/mixer whenever possible. Going line level in to the camera will definitely give a much better sound than using the onboard preamps.

Rob

Robert,

That is a good idea. I'll start doing that. I've never been an audio guru...lol. Just shooting and doing audio whenever I had to do interviews. Most of the time I shoot video for b-roll purposes with just NAT sound. But the most annoying of all is taking a Beta SP tape with proper audio levels to an SX deck for playback. That is pretty much an audio nightmare...lol. Especially if you edit on SP and take it to SX for playback...audio levels just overmodulate going from the analog to digital.

thanks
-alan

Robert Castiglione August 19th, 2007 05:59 PM

Thanks Alan. Obviously, dont forget when using the two channels in this way to adjust the volume for each volume accordingly. And of course there is the switch on the camera for monitoring each channel separately.

I have to confess to loving the audio side of things. I just think it is possible to get it right without necessarily having a separate audio guy if that is not in the budget.

Rob