Nikon DX on HD200U...how about it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 17th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Nikon DX on HD200U...how about it?

Anyone of you tried a Nikon DX on a JVC HDxxx series camera? I have an HD200 and 2 weeks ago I got a Nikon adapter to use my Nikon Ais and AF lenses on it. Now I'm curious to use a good quality Nikon DX Zoom lens, but I want to know what the focal length multiplier would be in this case. In fact I wanna know if the DX lens will cover the whole sensor or how much of it it'll cover. Someone please gimme some info on this-I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #2
Wrangler

When you say "Nikon adapter" I assume you mean the direct connect adapters made by Zöerk or Les Bosher?

The problem with using a DX lens is that you will have absolutely no aperture control. I'm not sure if DX lenses leave the aperture open, closed, or just stay where they were left the last time used on a Nikon.

Try not to worry yourself with "focal length multipliers." (I prefer to refer to it as a 'cropping factor.') You'll drive yourself mad constantly trying to compare field of view at any given focal length between 35mm and 1/3", especially since full frame 35mm is about 7.5 times bigger than 1/3".

Just remember that focal length = focal length. For example, if you are using a 18-70 Nikon zoom, then it will give you the exact same field of view as the Fujinon zoom lens in the 18-70mm range. There will be absolutely no change in the optical laws, meaning the exact same depth of field.
The benefit of a Nikon adapter is the wide availability of long focal lengths. Can you imagine how telephoto a 300mm on a 1/3" sensor would be? You would have a HD telescope!

As for coverage there will be absolutely no problems there. The standard sensor size of a digital SLR (DX) is around 24mm x 16mm (the same width as super-35.) The 1/3" sensor found in the ProHD cameras is only about 4.8mm x 2.7mm.

I've attached a frame size comparison chart I made earlier this year to demonstrate the various frame sizes of different formats.
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon DX on HD200U...how about it?-relative_frame_size.jpg  
Old August 18th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the response Tim. I guess it would work well if I could manage to at least set the aperture to its maximum and have it stay there, but according to what I've read, since the HD200 has no coupling to the meter, the lens would only work at minimum aperture. Someone should build an adapter. So the DX lens frame is like 5 times bigger than the 1/3 sensor frame. So if if were usable(if the aperture could be set to wide open) on the HD200, the Sigma 10-20mm would be a normal lens, and even a good relay lens for adapter like the M2 and Brevis.

Last edited by Jaadgy Akanni; August 18th, 2007 at 05:56 PM.
Jaadgy Akanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Jaadgy, in all honesty when trying to work your head around different format lenses, the focal length stays the same, it's the angle of view that changes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems