DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC Pro Service Phone System is horrible! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/102030-jvc-pro-service-phone-system-horrible.html)

Craig Meadows August 24th, 2007 12:43 PM

JVC Pro Service Phone System is horrible!

Ok, in the stickie the Pro HD number is listed 800-582-5825, call it and get.

Listen to 8 options
PRESS #3 for "service"

Listen to 2 options
Then press #2 "for service"

Listen to 2 options
Then press #2 for "pro"

Listen to 3 options
Then press #1 for "cameras"

Listen to 2 options
Then press #1 for Pro HD

Requests my zip code, enter that

Gives me the Lawrenceville, GA number; 800-252-5722, call it.

Listen to 5 or so options and press #1 for dealer/service

Then it repeats over and over #1 for dealer, #2 for literature, etc.

Never ever did I ever get to talk to a service tech regarding my issue. Press "0" and it takes you back to the main menu.

All I need to do is talk to someone in NJ or GA about my HD100Pro camera. It shouldn't be this difficult and the 800 number in the stickie is pretty much worthless in regards to end user useability.

Tim Dashwood August 24th, 2007 12:50 PM

Craig,

I thought that number was supposed to go directly to Pro support? Maybe they were busy and it routed you back to the main switchboard?
Carl Hicks' post in that sticky also gives instructions on how to directly contact your local reps.
Try entering your zip code on this page to find the direct phone number/email of your district manager or sales engineer.

Robert Yarosh August 24th, 2007 01:41 PM

JVC 800 number

If you press "3" you eventually get a number to a JVC service center or authorized service dealer, but if you press "7" which is the "Perfect Experience" hotline, you will get to talk to a person, unless of course all lines are busy, then you will have an opportunity to leave a message.
At least it's not a complete dead end.

Craig Meadows August 24th, 2007 02:00 PM

I pressed the button for "Current products in service" and talked to a non-pro jvc associate. He attempts to ring me through to Pro service. Rings forever, the non-pro guy gets back on the line and says nobody at pro is picking up and that I should just send my camera with a letter describing the problem to Lawrenceville. I say, "don't I need a RMA to send it in?" He says no just describe the problems and send it in. I said I'd rather talk to someone first and he said well you can leave a voice-message with a pro tech. Which is what I did. Again, it really shouldn't be this difficult to talk to someone about a problem with a piece of pro gear.

Craig Meadows August 27th, 2007 07:38 AM

I repeat. This phone system is horribly planned, designed, implemented and staffed. The primary number only takes you to another number. A caller is routed forever. The only way I seem to get anywhere is to select the optiion "if you currently have a item in service", although I don't. Even then you are left on hold forever waiting for the "next representative". It tells you you are number one in the queue yet you are left on hold.

Just horrible service...and yes still holding.

Tim Brown August 27th, 2007 07:46 AM

Sorry for all your troubles Craig. Have you tried contacting your reseller? They can sometimes help in situations such as these, especially if they're a local brick and mortar dedicated to customer service.

Craig Meadows August 27th, 2007 07:56 AM

Well, I remebered from sending in my HD50 a while back that there is a JVC .pdf factory service request form. I found that online and am filling it out now. It includes service center addresses. So I will just send in my camera without ever talking to anyone at JVC and hope it is handled quickly, although I have my doubts.

Also having my doubts that JVC realizes small companies depend on their gear to make a living and customer service on the phone to turn-a-round service is imperitive.

I have one HD100, and two HD50's. So far 2 out of 3 have had to be returned for service.

Dennis Stevens August 27th, 2007 12:04 PM

Just wanted to add my agreement with Craig's assessment.

I had to send the camera in for servicing awhile ago. The phone system was like an M C Escher drawing - it went on forever with no end.

I was able to get the number of a JVC district manager through the vendor that sold me the camera. Once I got a hold of people, everyone at JVC was really, really helpful.

But the only way to get some help required going around the whole system supposedly designed to help the customer! It's not like no one's ever created a decent automated phone response system!

Scott Cantrell August 27th, 2007 01:01 PM

Craig, Like Tim mentioned, have you contacted your Reseller about your discrepencies? Whoever you purchased your JVC ProHD camcorder from should be your first line of defence. If you reseller is worthwhile, he would have forwarded you the documentation you required (the form with shipping addresses) at the get go instead of you looking around trying to find the informaiton. Additionally, your Reseller should be able to get you in touch with a JVC Representative or technition.

Once your information has been documented with JVC and all discrepencies noted, JVC has been the best for customer service.

Scott Cantrell

Craig Meadows August 27th, 2007 03:35 PM

I respectfully disagree. The reseller would add an additonal layer of contacts and time wasted with yet another unnecessary phone call.

If you have a problem with JVC Pro gear you should be able to easily get online, find a useable Pro service phone number with as few as layers as possible for fast and easy contact with a real JVC Pro service representative. My experience has been the complete opposite and quite aggravating. The 800 number for JVC Pro service listed in the sticky on this site should be removed or updated as it routs you through numerous sub-menus only to finally ask you to call another number which then routs you through yet another layer of sub-menus.

The JVC Pro website has a contacts page where by you enter your zip code to recive contact info for your region. I did that, gave the gentleman a call on friday. He called back today for which I am very grateful. However he admitted he was not the person to contact for my region even though their own web site pointed me to him. Yet another example of a poorly implemented customer service program, at least for initial contact, problem evaluation, and shipping/RMA returns. With that said the actual technical service I've received in the past was very good, just getting there seems to be the problem.

Chris Hurd August 27th, 2007 04:55 PM

Craig, the frustrations you're experiencing are precisely because you have not gone through your dealer. That's not "time wasted with yet another unnecessary phone call," but is in fact your first line of defense and the best possible method for seeking a quick resolution to a tech support problem.

If the sticky needs to be updated, we'll do so to indicate exactly what Tim Brown and Scott Cantrell have pointed out -- that getting your dealer involved is the most effective route to resolving an issue. The regrettable experience you've had so far would seem to bear that out, as an indication of what could happen by not going through your dealer.

I sincerely hope you'll take the advice from Tim and Scott -- best of luck to you,

Craig Meadows August 27th, 2007 08:25 PM

Chris, what you seem to be suggesting is that JVC is not prepared or inclined initially to take direct calls from customers for tech support. That one must first call their dealer, then call JVC. Seems counter-productive to me particulalry since they publish customer support numbers. We are a very busy shop, have been for over 20-years and when gear goes down it is dire that problems are assessed and handled as quickly as possible to avoid the least downtime. So you call your dealer, if they are on the ball or not busy they have the info immediately. If not, well you wait for them to call you back. That could be a while with some dealers. Then they give you a number to call JVC. That's not "time wasted with yet another unnecessary phone call?

Not everyone buys their gear from a "local" brick and mortar dealer. Many purchase from large discounters and mail order companies like B&H, Samys, DV warehouse, Texas TapeWorks, etc.

This call your dealer mentality seems to shield JVC from the first line of defense that is mentioned, insulating them from their customers who have real problems, perhaps that is by design or perhaps they just don't have the resources to provide tech support like many other companies. When you purchase a new Apple, even if you bought it at Best Buy instead of direct, you naturally call Apple if you need tech support.

Seems like a simple concept to me, call the people who know how to address the issue rather than having to go through a dealer or other 3rd party. One phone number that really connects to those that know. Yes I am stubborn but it sure seems simple to me. Why offer, operate, or suggest this very cumbersome phone system if the preferred method is to contact your dealer.

Chris Hurd August 27th, 2007 10:02 PM

We can waste time all day long talking about how we think things should be. Let's talk instead about how to get some actual results. As Tim and Scott have already pointed out, you can get results by getting your dealer involved. If you prefer to be stubborn about it, that's fine; but you are your own worst enemy that way.

The best possible advice -- to get your dealer involved and working for you -- has been already given. Until you're willing to accept that and move forward with it, this discussion can go nowhere. Because it's not about "how things should be." Instead, it's about the way things are, and how to work effectively within those real-world parameters in order to produce results.

Here's an example of real-world results: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=101993

If you're not interested in taking the advice that's been generously offered in order to get those results, then we've got nothing to talk about.

Thread closed.