Shooting 1/30th shutter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 8th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #16
Major Player

I love wagon wheels going backward, way too cool.
I also like the look of the jvc with detail turned off.
It's what I like, no right or wrong.
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
Glad that worked out for you Scott. Maybe you could post a clip? I've got a wedding this Friday, outdoors, at night as well..
I just got done editing this wedding a few days ago and have since posted a few excerpts on my website.

Here are a few direct links to the samples.

Note: The first sample was shot in the daylight at 1/60th which I prefer for it's sharper look. The last 3 clips are 1/30th.

The entire wedding was shot in pitch black with no ambient lighting except my IDX X-3 LED light. The recording was originally shot 720/30p with motion smoothing on, 1/30 shutter & 9db gain. The samples are H264 encoded at 428x240 but will still give you an idea of how 1/30th looks at night.

You need Quicktime 7.0 to view these clips.

Please don't crucify my samples!

NOTE!: YOU NEED TO "RIGHT-CLICK" & SAVE TARGET AS, TO YOUR HARD DISK TO VIEW FILES!

Wedding Intro 1/60th
http://blip.tv/file/get/Videoonsight...ngIntro489.mov

Ceremony/Photos 1/30th
http://blip.tv/file/get/Videoonsight...yPhotos964.mov

First Dance 1/30th
http://blip.tv/file/get/Videoonsight...stDance485.mov

Cake Cutting 1/30th
http://blip.tv/file/get/Videoonsight...Cutting260.mov

Last edited by Scott Jaco; September 9th, 2007 at 01:56 PM.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #18
Trustee

Scott, Bleach Bypass is the "incorrect" way of developing a negative, it's skipping a step that is supposed to be performed, still, it's one very popular look. Rules are made to be broken, as long as yo know what you're doing. If 1/30 achieves the look that you want, so much better :)
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
There's a phenomenon in physics known as the nyquist frequency. The nyquist frequency is, as applied to a moving shutter camera, a shutter speed twice the frame rate. The reason for wanting to maintain a shutter speed no less than the nyquist frequency is because you begin to suffer motion artifacts at less than the nyquist. If you're not shooting things that move, especially rotating wheels, you shouldn't have a problem.

In practical usage, I'm sure you've seen scenes of wagon wheels, or something like that, that appear to rotate backwards. This is the effect of nyquist, where the camera catches still images of a rotating object and when the stills are reconstructed on a motion display, the wheel appears to turn backwards.
Bill, I could be mistaken, but I thought Nyquist frequency was an issue with digital sampling when the frequency of the material (audio or visual), exceeds the sampling frequency.

The backwards rotating wagon wheel I always believed to be the stroboscopic effect of seeing 24p telecined and displayed on a 60i device.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #20
Major Player

I just shot both aerials and daylight outside shots for a new gated community in Naples. I used a combo of 1/30 and 1/60. I come from a video camera background and not cinema so I have a different perspective. This year it's about 23 year years since first working with saticon tube cams.

The thing I discovered when choosing shutter is that at 1/30, motion will blur if the moves are more than a really slow slow pan. Simple to remember, but not obvious in the field on the field monitor at 60p. It's not that it looks ruined when this happens but it's a strange look when you stop the move and it resolves into perfect focus. Yet these shots of very high end homes shot on a Triangle jib look really good. I add a Polarizer, ND and built in ND to get about 5.6 or f8 outside.

Of course with the Aerials I shoot 1/60.

I think the 1/30 shots are a step further removed from the video look than 1/60 is. The texture of the JVC shots and the grain give them a psuedo film effect. If there is very slow move, the slight blurring almost smooths out the shot removing all traces of steppiness you may notice in the progressive playback.

It's a setting you have to experiment with and learn when to use it. Outside you will need an extra ND filter to avoid the dreaded diffraction effect of the lens when it's almost closed down.

IMHO
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beaty View Post
This year it's about 23 year years since first working with saticon tube cams.
Check out this picture :-)

http://jaschob.com/img/jvc.jpg
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jaschob View Post
Check out this picture :-)

http://jaschob.com/img/jvc.jpg
What is that white thing on the body of the other camera? Is that where the VHS tape goes?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:25 AM   #23
New Boot

HD30 @ 30 Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath View Post
I use two HD100 and now I just purchased another HD110 Since day one I shoot HD30 with 30 shutter speed inside. I never had any lighting problem. On my website you can download (bottom of the main page -view our High Defenition demo-) a two minutes HD30 footage was recorded 30 shutter speed. (Take about 2 minutes to download) This was my first ever HD wedding two years ago September 2005
www.star-litevideo.com

Laszlo
Many thanks for sharing your experience, technique and online clip! Tonight we shoot in a small 160 yr old chapel, with soft ambient lighting with HD100. Now I know I can shoot HD using your settings.

Sam
Sam Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
What is that white thing on the body of the other camera? Is that where the VHS tape goes?
I have no idea what is inside that white box. But this camera uses a remote vcr via a long cable.

PS shot a fashion show (runway) at 1/30 shutter. The footage looks great, again, more filmy than videoy, 1/30 shutter, detail on min. Plenty of room to get the lens at it's sweet spot and that makes all the difference.
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems