Backpack for GY-HD250U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Backpack for GY-HD250U

Has anyone found a good backpack that will hold the JVC GY-HD250 camera with standard lens and still meet requirements for carry on to airplanes? I just ordered my second package and I'd like to keep one on the plane with me and not check it if possible. Thanks for any input.
Randy

Last edited by Randy Durham; September 8th, 2007 at 08:38 AM.
Randy Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm using this Kata bag :
http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=4

Because the hd251 fits, it's a good bag for walking in montains, but probably too big to be carried with you in a plane (but i don't really travel by airplane, so i don't know what is the size we can carry with us).
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for the reply Fabrice. After an exhaustive search yesterday I decided to go with a Portabrace case for carrying the camera onboard and in the field. I almost bought a second Lightware bag for the second camera, but decided I would feel better having at least one package with me all the time. The Kata bag looks great but would have been too big for carry on luggage requirements.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Which Portabrace case did you end up buying Randy? Any chance you can post us a link to it?

Thanks in advance,

Julian
Julian Maytum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Fabrice, can I ask a question about the Kata bag?

It does not appear to have any internal straps so that the camera is essentially sitting on the back end of the camera. In my case that would mean an IDX battery mount and battery.

Is this a problem at all for the camera, carrying it long distances sitting in this way?

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Robert, I just flew with an HD-200, Chrosziel mattebox, two Dionic 90 batteries and charger, 9 Tiffen fliters, shotgun mic with softie, DR HD100 (with both cam battery bracket, and hard drive brackets both still mounted to the camera), headphones, extra tapes, xlr cables, viewfinder still mounted, and of course the manual - all packed nice and neetly into a Camrade backpack. I called the airlines ahead of time just to be sure what their dimensions were for carry-on luggage. They told me 10"X16"X24". This Camrade pack measures about 11" (with the top pockets not filled), X @14" X 24". I asked if they'd break my chops about the extra inch and they said no worries. The pack fit real nice in the overhead, and I felt great knowing exactly where it was the whole time (much better than I do when it's down below!).

By the way the Camrade has a neet way of transforming into a back pack. When not being used as such, you'd never even know the padded straps are even in there. They're pretty comfortable too. And yes, on the inside there are straps for you to hold your gear nice and secure. Also, on the top there's a strong cylinder shaped accomodation for the viewfinder which seems to have a plastic shell incorporated into it. It's real strong. In fact the whole pack has a pretty good shape to it. It keeps your gear protected real nice. Heavy zippers too. This bag's gonna be around a lot longer than the HD-200 will..

hope it helps

Last edited by Eric Gulbransen; September 9th, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Eric,

I was not aware of the Camrade at all and will certainly check it. It sounds like a handy bit of gear.

I actually bought the Kata some time ago but have felt concerned about using it.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione View Post
I was not aware of the Camrade at all and will certainly check it. It sounds like a handy bit of gear.
Robert, Camrade actually makes more than just the bag for this camera. They also make a pretty snug fitting weather/elements protective jacket. When I land Monday I'll take some photos of it and post them here.

Good luck Robert
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione View Post
It does not appear to have any internal straps so that the camera is essentially sitting on the back end of the camera. In my case that would mean an IDX battery mount and battery.
Since now i don't have any problem, but i'm concerned with this. Because of the camera design, all the weight goes to one part of the idx battery mount. So i will soon build something with wood to make the weight go on more part of the idx. And perhaps do something with some rope.
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Eric,

Which Camrade pack do you have for the JVC and where did you get it? I searched their web site but couldn't find much usrful information.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #11
Major Player

Jim, the Camrade model number I have now is TM-640. The first one that I ordered was only long enough to accomodate the cam and some gear. When I got the Dionic 90 battery kit AND the DR HD100 hard drive with its funky bracket system, suddenly the rig was too big for the backpack unless I took it all apart. I exchanged the smaller bag for this TM-640

I got the pack from TapeworksTexas (which is on the "Good guys" list here on DvInfo), where I believe they stock the full Camrade line. Scott Cantrell is always very helpful, gives me great deals on all sorts of gear, and has the patience of a saint with me.

Here's a link to the TapeworksTexas Camrade page - http://www.tapeworkstexas.com/camrade1.html

I'll post some pics of the bag in action when I get back tomorrow. Good luck Jim
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Eric,

Thanks much for the info. I had looked at the Sound Guys site but wasn't sure which bag it was.

Do you think the smaller bag would be OK for the camera with an AB mount on the back (with or without the batteries mounted?)
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #13
New Boot

Carry-on case for GY-HD200

First post!

I've been lurking around this forum for some time and found it to be very helpful, so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice regarding a good case for my newly acquired HD200.

Does anyone have any recent experience taking their HD200 (or HD250) on board a plane successfully, as carry-on luggage? If so, what sort of case do you own?

I've been looking at the Kata CC-195, as the price suits my limited budget. The Kata website claims it falls within the current size restrictions for carry-on, but I wanted to get some input from a fellow JVC owner.

I own the Pro-Spec package (Fujinon 17x5 lens and DR-HD100, Anton Bauer Trimpac, etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Brendan Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Welcome!

I own the KATA cc-197 and couldn't be happier. The construction is superb for the money and I personally prefer the look and feel to the PortaBrace stuff I've used over the past 10 years. How it holds up will remain to be seen but a very functional and attractive carrying case.

Should point out I'm a HD200UB owner with the stock 16x and AB dionic power. I have my AB Ultralight2 mounted on top of the camera and everything still fits. I have 2 batteries and my charger stowed internally with 20 tapes and still have reasonable room.

Just re-read your post. Haven't tried flying with my JVC or the KATA bag yet. Not sure the 197 even comes close to carry on size.
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #15
Major Player

I use the Camrade. To complicate things for you, I couldn't be happier either. Use is confidently as a carry-on all the time. Always fits the overhead compartments, no one ever looks at me cross-eyed. Has tuck away backpack straps, which are AWESOME to have and to use. Once tucked away you'd never even know they exist. Has plenty of pockets for your batteries, chargers, tapes, toy trucks - whatever. Inside has straps to secure your baby, and PLENTY of room for matteboxes, filters, mics, whatever. Only bitch of it is you can't fit the tripod in there. But just about everything else works out great!

I got if from Scott Cantrell at TapeworksTexas. They are one our DVinfo sponsors.

Good luck brother
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems