DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Low Light - HD110 vs. HD200?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/103741-low-light-hd110-vs-hd200.html)

Terry VerHaar September 17th, 2007 12:30 PM

Low Light - HD110 vs. HD200??

Apologies in advance for not doing my "homework" on this but I am in need of a quick answer and it seems like an issue someone has already faced and could provide a straight forward, simple answer.

So here's the question - in low light situations, would the capabilities of the GY-HD200 add noticeably to the picture quality over the GY-HD110 under the same conditions? I know the 200 has a better AD convertor and better signal processing but am wondering if this will lead to measurably better low light performance.

Thanks so much.
TVH

Scott Jaco September 18th, 2007 11:36 PM

No. However, if you shoot in 30p, you might want to try shooting 1/30th shutter.

Terry VerHaar September 19th, 2007 09:13 AM

JVC in Low light

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Jaco (Post 746526)
No. However, if you shoot in 30p, you might want to try shooting 1/30th shutter.

Thanks, Scott. Good advice for both cameras I am sure.

Laszlo Horvath September 19th, 2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Jaco (Post 746526)

Yes, that true. But with the 200 if you shoot 720/60p you can't use 30 shutter speed. (with 30 shutter you will defenetely see "stobe" effect.)
So If you shoot 720/60p w/60shutter the footage will be darker then 720/30p w/30 shutter footage under low light conditions.

Laszlo

George Strother September 19th, 2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar (Post 745640)
"So here's the question - in low light situations, would the capabilities of the GY-HD200 add noticeably to the picture quality over the GY-HD110 under the same conditions? I know the 200 has a better AD convertor and better signal processing but am wondering if this will lead to measurably better low light performance.

Thanks so much.
TVH

Actually, yes.

I just had a conversation with Jerry Cohen about this today at the San Diego JVC High Definition Seminar. JVC bills him as one of the leading technologists in HD.

Acording to Jerry, the gain circuit is before AD conversion on the 100/110. Gain is added after AD conversion on the 200/250.

This results in lower signal to noise ratio when gain is added on the 200/250 cameras.

Terry VerHaar September 19th, 2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Strother (Post 747032)
Actually, yes.

I just had a conversation with Jerry Cohen about this today at the San Diego JVC High Definition Seminar. JVC bills him as one of the leading technologists in HD.

Acording to Jerry, the gain circuit is before AD conversion on the 100/110. Gain is added after AD conversion on the 200/250.

This results in lower signal to noise ratio when gain is added on the 200/250 cameras.

Thanks very much for the insight. That's exactly the kind of perspective I was hoping to get. I guess the question I have to wrestle with now is whether it is $2000 better. I kind of liked the "no" answer better. :-) Argggh.

Marc Colemont September 20th, 2007 02:05 AM

I would surprize me that they would make a circuit worse then better on a new model...

Brian Luce September 20th, 2007 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Strother (Post 747032)
Actually, yes.

I'm sure this is theoretically accurate but I'd be curious about real world difference in low light sensitivity.

Anyone out there done any real world comparisons?

George Strother September 20th, 2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 747141)
I'm sure this is theoretically accurate but I'd be curious about real world difference in low light sensitivity.

Anyone out there done any real world comparisons?

I own an HD100 and twice have had the chance to play with a 250, not a back to back comparison, just the 250 alone. My subjective opinion is the 250 is noticeably quieter on gain.

If the question is sensitivity without gain, Jerry said they were about the same.

For a more direct comparison, maybe someone with both cameras can respond.

Brian Luce September 20th, 2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Strother (Post 747305)
I own an HD100 and twice have had the chance to play with a 250, not a back to back comparison, just the 250 alone. My subjective opinion is the 250 is noticeably quieter on gain.

If the question is sensitivity without gain, Jerry said they were about the same.

For a more direct comparison, maybe someone with both cameras can respond.

Does this mean when you use the gain switch there is less noise? Is that what you're saying?

How did the overall pic compare? (same lens?)

Eric Gulbransen September 20th, 2007 11:29 AM

Terry, chances are pretty good that you already read Stephen's comparison of the two cams, but just in case you didn't - http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=79436

George Strother September 20th, 2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 747340)
Does this mean when you use the gain switch there is less noise? Is that what you're saying?

How did the overall pic compare? (same lens?)

If you mean less noise than gain off, don't be ridiculous. Gain will always increase noise or soften the picture if enough noise reduction is added to bring the noise level equal.

If you mean less noise than a 100 with the same gain setting, yes.

With just a quick pan around the room and checking different spots on the lit set the 250 looks better than the 100. Gain up, shooting into the dark corners, the 250 looks better than the 100.

But it is hard to compare without both cameras back to back and no 100/110 has been set up at either presentation I have attended.

One BIG advantage to the 250 is viewing HD-SDI out to a JVC HD production monitor. Both the monitor and connection are superior to my component to HD consumer monitor set up.

So you can't fairly evaluate with the big monitor and the viewfinder/screen on camera are too small to give more than an impression.

My impression is the 250 is better than the 100 (duh) and better lenses are better than cheaper lenses (duh). Further, my impression puts the 100 closer to the 250 than the other HDV cams I have used. If you have a 100 and don't need the new features on the 200/250, you don't need to put the 100 in a dumpster just yet.

Tim Dashwood probably has done the back to back and may jump in with some acurate info.